"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Fruit & Nuts
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 01-21-2013, 05:30 PM   #1
Head Chef
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: USA
Posts: 1,161
ISO Ideas For Clementines

I bought a bag of "Cuties." So far, I've eaten them as snacks, & put them in a salad. I'm not a big baker. Any new interesting ideas for these little cuties? TIA

Click image for larger version

Name:	cuties.png
Views:	375
Size:	389.3 KB
ID:	16886

__________________

__________________
Cerise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 05:36 PM   #2
Sous Chef
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 545
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cerise View Post
I bought a bag of "Cuties." So far, I've eaten them as snacks, & put them in a salad. I'm not a big baker. Any new interesting ideas for these little cuties? TIA
I've been wanting to try this
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...201023560.html
__________________

__________________
Siegal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 05:56 PM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Dawgluver's Avatar
Site Moderator
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 24,095
Quote:
Originally Posted by Siegal View Post
I can't get to it, Siegal, it wants me to sign up and pay for a subscription to the WSJ.

I too have a bunch of the Cuties, and not into baking, so would also love some ideas!
__________________
She who dies with the most toys, wins.
Dawgluver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 05:58 PM   #4
Head Chef
 
Zereh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Bellevue, WA
Posts: 1,548
Clementine Curd. It's great stuff!
__________________
~~
Zereh

We are fed by a food industry which pays no attention to health, and healed by a health industry that pays no attention to food - Wendell Berry
Zereh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 06:03 PM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Dawgluver's Avatar
Site Moderator
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 24,095
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zereh View Post
Clementine Curd. It's great stuff!
Of course! Sounds perfect, Zereh, thanks!
__________________
She who dies with the most toys, wins.
Dawgluver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 06:18 PM   #6
Head Chef
 
merstar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 2,002
Lots of good ideas here:
http://www.bonappetit.com/ideas/clem...recipes/search

More ideas:
Clementine Marmalade
http://www.food.com/recipe/clementine-marmalade-254748

Nigella Lawson Sticky Ribs Marinade
http://www.food.com/recipe/nigella-l...arinade-200655

Nigella Lawson's Clementine Cake:
Clementine Cake Recipe : Nigella Lawson : Recipes : Food Network
__________________
"Strength is the capacity to break a chocolate bar into four pieces with your bare hands - and then eat just one of the pieces."
merstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 06:42 PM   #7
Sous Chef
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 545
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post

I can't get to it, Siegal, it wants me to sign up and pay for a subscription to the WSJ.

I too have a bunch of the Cuties, and not into baking, so would also love some ideas!
I cut and paste it from the site

Roasted Chicken With Clementines & Arak
An invention of the authors, this simple chicken dish reflects Jerusalem in the use of arak, a popular anise-flavored liquor, and fennel and citrus, which evoke the region's Mediterranean climate.

Hands-On Time:10 minutes Total Time: About 50 minutes, plus marinating time Serves: 4

Ingredients
6 tablespoons arak (or ouzo or Pernod)

4 tablespoons olive oil

3 tablespoons freshly squeezed orange juice

3 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice

2 tablespoons grainy mustard

3 tablespoons light brown sugar

1 teaspoons kosher salt

Freshly ground black pepper

2 medium fennel bulbs, cut lengthwise and then into quarters

1 2-pound organic or free-range chicken, divided into 8 pieces

4 clementines, unpeeled, sliced thin

1 tablespoon fresh thyme leaves

2 teaspoons fennel seeds, lightly crushed Parsley, to garnish

What To Do
1. In a large mixing bowl, whisk together arak, oil, orange and lemon juices, mustard, brown sugar and salt. Season with pepper, to taste. Add
fennel, chicken, clementine slices, thyme and crushed fennel seeds. Turn several times to coat. If time allows, marinate chicken for a few hours or preferably overnight.

2. Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
Transfer all ingredients, including marinade, to a large roasting pan. Chicken should be skin-side up. Roast until chicken is browned and cooked through, 35-45 minutes. Remove
from the oven.

3. Lift chicken, fennel and clementines from pan and arrange on a
serving plate. Cover and keep warm.

4. Pour cooking liquid into a small saucepan. Place over medium-high heat, bring to a boil, then simmer until sauce is reduced and you are left with about 1/3 cup. You can degrease by using a spoon to remove some of the fat from the top of the sauce.

5. Pour the heated sauce over chicken. Garnish with parsley and serve.

Adapted from "Jerusalem: A Cookbook" by Yotam Ottolenghi and Sami Tamimi, to be published by Ten Speed Press, a division of Random House, Inc.

Write to Katy McLaughlin at katy.mclaughlin@wsj.com
__________________
Siegal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 06:46 PM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Dawgluver's Avatar
Site Moderator
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 24,095
Quote:
Originally Posted by Siegal View Post

I cut and paste it from the site

Roasted Chicken With Clementines & Arak
An invention of the authors, this simple chicken dish reflects Jerusalem in the use of arak, a popular anise-flavored liquor, and fennel and citrus, which evoke the region's Mediterranean climate.

Hands-On Time:10 minutes Total Time: About 50 minutes, plus marinating time Serves: 4

Ingredients
6 tablespoons arak (or ouzo or Pernod)

4 tablespoons olive oil

3 tablespoons freshly squeezed orange juice

3 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice

2 tablespoons grainy mustard

3 tablespoons light brown sugar

1 teaspoons kosher salt

Freshly ground black pepper

2 medium fennel bulbs, cut lengthwise and then into quarters

1 2-pound organic or free-range chicken, divided into 8 pieces

4 clementines, unpeeled, sliced thin

1 tablespoon fresh thyme leaves

2 teaspoons fennel seeds, lightly crushed Parsley, to garnish

What To Do
1. In a large mixing bowl, whisk together arak, oil, orange and lemon juices, mustard, brown sugar and salt. Season with pepper, to taste. Add
fennel, chicken, clementine slices, thyme and crushed fennel seeds. Turn several times to coat. If time allows, marinate chicken for a few hours or preferably overnight.

2. Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
Transfer all ingredients, including marinade, to a large roasting pan. Chicken should be skin-side up. Roast until chicken is browned and cooked through, 35-45 minutes. Remove
from the oven.

3. Lift chicken, fennel and clementines from pan and arrange on a
serving plate. Cover and keep warm.

4. Pour cooking liquid into a small saucepan. Place over medium-high heat, bring to a boil, then simmer until sauce is reduced and you are left with about 1/3 cup. You can degrease by using a spoon to remove some of the fat from the top of the sauce.

5. Pour the heated sauce over chicken. Garnish with parsley and serve.

Adapted from "Jerusalem: A Cookbook" by Yotam Ottolenghi and Sami Tamimi, to be published by Ten Speed Press, a division of Random House, Inc.

Write to Katy McLaughlin at katy.mclaughlin@wsj.com
This sounds great, Siegal! Thanks!

And great ideas, Merstar, thanks to you too!
__________________
She who dies with the most toys, wins.
Dawgluver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 07:05 PM   #9
Head Chef
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: USA
Posts: 1,161
Great ideas. I hadn't thought of curd, and I like the sound of the ribs and chicken. I knew you guys would come through. Thank you.
__________________
Cerise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 12:12 AM   #10
Master Chef
 
Snip 13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Brakpan, South Africa
Posts: 5,431
They would make a nice marmalade. If you add pectin you don't have to add as much rind and use more juice. It's great on pancakes!
__________________

__________________
Odette
"I used to jog but the ice cubes kept falling out of my glass."

"I hear voices and they don't like you "
Snip 13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
recipe

ISO Ideas For Clementines I bought a bag of "Cuties." So far, I've eaten them as snacks, & put them in a salad. I'm not a big baker. Any new interesting ideas for these little cuties? TIA :chef: [CENTER][ATTACH]16886[/ATTACH][/CENTER] 3 stars 1 reviews
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Discuss Cooking on Facebook

Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:34 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.