"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Fruit & Nuts

Old 06-25-2006, 11:31 AM   #1
Master Chef

ISO Mango 101

I just bought a mango at the grocery store because they were on sale for an amazingly good price. I've eaten them before but never prepared them at home. How do I tell when it's ripe? I cut it in half and scoop out the seeds, right? Any suggestions for quick things to do with it (I also bought a ton of blueberries and I think they'd look gorgeous together in something!)?

Old 06-25-2006, 01:13 PM   #2
Head Chef

My experience is that the mango is ripe when some or all of skin turns reddish. It will have a little give to the squeeze. If you let it get real ripe and soft to the squeeze, it will be impossible to slice but as sweet as candy and messy enough to eat out of hand to thrill a five year old!

You don't really scoop out the seed as much as carve around a big flattened football shaped seed. I've seen demo videos and pic's but couldn't find one real quick.

skilletlicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2006, 01:25 PM   #3
Assistant Cook

It is ripe when it gives slightly to touch and smells fragrant. Hold the mango so that the narrow side perpendicular to a cutting board. With a sharp knife start at the middle of the top side and slice as straight down as you can, slicing along side of the pit. Do the same on the other side. Take one of the halves and holding it in your hand (or on the cutting board), make a crosshatch "design" with your knife but do NOT cut through the skin. Then push up on the skin of the mango half and the pieces will stand up so you can cut them off flush with the skin.
Old 06-25-2006, 01:28 PM   #4
Head Chef

What Gretchen said sounds pretty good.
There's some more about it here.

Old 06-25-2006, 03:28 PM   #5
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by PA Baker
I just bought a mango at the grocery store because they were on sale for an amazingly good price. I've eaten them before but never prepared them at home. How do I tell when it's ripe? I cut it in half and scoop out the seeds, right? Any suggestions for quick things to do with it (I also bought a ton of blueberries and I think they'd look gorgeous together in something!)?
Mango's dont have seeds, they have a pit. Are you sure your not referring to a pomegranite? Either way, you could make a smoothie with that and the blueberries, or use a melon baller to fill a watermelon or any melon you like, and add a splash of liquor such as vodka.
Old 06-25-2006, 03:43 PM   #6
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by amber
Are you sure your not referring to a pomegranite? Either way, you could make a smoothie with that and the blueberries, or use a melon baller to fill a watermelon or any melon you like, and add a splash of liquor such as vodka.
I wondered if he might not be thinking of a papaya; a fruit which must have good uses that I have yet to discover.

Any concoction that includes hard liquor and tropical fruit sounds good to me!

Old 06-27-2006, 12:18 AM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Yahoo to middie
Mango Lemonade Pa.
Old 06-27-2006, 01:07 AM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire

gretchen is right on about mangoes. get 'em when they just give to a little finger pressure, and begin to smell sweet, well, like a mango.

except i don't do the cross-hatch thing, unless i want cubes.

after cutting the 2 sides away from the pit, i just slice them into strips, then slice away the skin with my knife close to the board as you would fillet a fish.

i buy mangoes all the time, and if they're not ripe yet (unripened ones are still good if julienned and used in a slaw), i just put them on a window sill to finish ripening.

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2006, 08:20 AM   #9
Chief Eating Officer

Be careful when cutting it as they get very slippery.

One of my favorite ways to use them is in salsa. Make a salsa how you normally would, but replace the tomato with mango. The sweet with some heat is amazing.
Old 06-27-2006, 09:09 AM   #10
Master Chef

Thanks everyone! The lemonade and salsa sound great. It's just yielding to some gentle pressure and doesn't smell mango-y yet, so I'll give it another day or two. It's been raining here since Friday so we haven't had any sun in the house to help it ripen!

Tags
None