"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Fruit & Nuts
Old 05-01-2007, 04:50 PM   #1
Head Chef
ISO Plantain recipes

I bought my first plantain today...I've seen them on TV before and I have been interested in them..

Does anyone have any favorite recipes? I just bought one and am thinking I might fry it.

What the heck do they taste like???

Angie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 04:59 PM   #2
Master Chef
I find them rather like a potato with a very light banana undertone. Have only made them fried, as taught to me by a close Puerto Rican friend who makes them all the time.

I peel them, slice them about 1/2" thick & shallow-fry them on both sides for a couple of minutes & remove to paper towels to drain & cool slightly. They are then gently & lightly crushed - still retaining their shape - with the broad side of a kitchen knife, & refried until golden & crisp to taste, again drained on paper towels, sprinkled with salt, & served.

BreezyCooking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 05:08 PM   #3
Head Chef
Send a message via MSN to Caine
You asked for it!

Egg roll wrappers
Jackfruit (can be found in most Asian stores, or substitute mango slices)
pecans or almonds, chopped (optional)
Turbinado sugar
Peanut or Canola oil for frying

Quarter the plantains, length wise, and trim to fit the wrappers, allowing 1/2-inch of wrapper on each side. Place one piece of plantain and one slice of jackfruit or mango on wrapper. Sprinkle with 1 Tbs sugar and 1 Tbs chopped pecans or almonds then roll up, folding in the edges, and seal the end with water.

Fry the turon until golden brown, drain on paper towels, and roll in turbinado sugar. These can be served as is, or plated for presentation as a fancy dessert.

Cut each turon in half, at a 45o angle. Place each half on plate at a 90o angle, add a scoop of coconut ice cream in the 'V', drizzle caramel sauce over all, and sprinkle with additional chopped pecans or almonds.
Caine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 11:05 PM   #4
Head Chef
Thanks guys! I can't wait to try these!
Angie is offline   Reply With Quote