"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Fruit & Nuts

Old 11-03-2007, 10:50 AM   #1
Head Chef

ISO Strawberry Sauce Ideas

Hello All,
Our BiAnnual Lions brunch is tomorrow morning and I need some ideas for how to make a quick and easy sauce from about 3 gallons of strawberries. They are frozen - no sugar. This will be used as a sauce for fresh crepes.
Any thoughts or ideas are greatly appreciated!
Thank you in advance!

Old 11-03-2007, 11:14 AM   #2
Everymom

Just put them in a pot on low, crush them a bit with a potato masher and add sugar to taste. After a while they will thicken a bit, and if they don't, just add a couple tbsps of cornstarch. How much sauce do you need? That would help me give you better amounts. Are you planning to use all the strawberries you have?

Old 11-03-2007, 12:01 PM   #3
Head Chef

Thank you Alix ... we serve for 5 hours, about 400 people. In the past, we have used canned pie filling for toppings but we have all these strawberries from an earlier event (First City Days ... Fresh Strawberry Shortcake) so I thought they would be good instead of the pie filling. Generally, we go through about 9 cans of filling - 3 gallons of crepe batter. Does that give you a better idea of numbers?

My thought was that if we didn't use it all, I can bring it home, add more sugar and can it to distribute at our next meeting.

Thank you again!
Old 11-03-2007, 12:04 PM   #4
Hospitality Queen

I'd make it like Alix, only I'd keep about 20% of them out of the mash, so there are pretty slices too. Strawberry sauce is also quite tasty when a little bit of almond extract & fresh lemon juice is added.
Old 11-03-2007, 12:08 PM   #5
Everymom

Yep to the lemon juice! And scratch the couple tbsps thing of cornstarch, you're going to need a LOT more than that. I'm thinking more like 1/2 cup+ of cornstarch if you are doing all the strawberries. You'll know how much to use once you put it in there. If it doesn't start thickening up to the consistency you want, add more. I usually make a slurry and just add that until I get the results I want. I'm a lazy cook though.
Old 11-03-2007, 12:26 PM   #6
Head Chef

Thank you both for the suggestions! Lazy fits me today ... we also are prepping all the veggies for the omelettes we make. Anything I can just dump into a pot, add a bit of something too and leave for a while works perfect for me!

Thank you!
Old 11-03-2007, 08:57 PM   #7
Executive Chef

I vaguely remember having a strawberry sauce recipe that was pretty much strawberries, sugar and red wine. Was absolutely brilliant over icecream. Unfortunately I don't know what I've done with it so I can't give you ratios.

Tags
None