ISO uses for dried cranberries

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

whole milk

Senior Cook
I was at Costco a while back and bought a huge bag of dried cranberries. Unfortunaly, I didn't read the package carefully because they're sweetened and I'm not fond of eating (raw) sweatened cranberries. Any suggestions for what I can do with them?

Cheers,

I make biscotti's with dried cranberries and pistachio's and I buy mine at Costco or SAMS club for that.

I also use them in salads to add a burst of sweetness.

If you like to make sweet chutneys, you can use them in chutneys as well. You will have to rehydrate them before you use them. You can add them to some orange juice, season it with a little chili powder, cumin powder, sugar, salt and let it all cook it down until it's thick. It's a good accompainement with Indian food especially dal and rice.

If you like couscous, add some to that along with some pine nuts or almonds makes a great tasting side.

Kadesma

I LOVE Indian food -- I'm going to try that.

Would that become a sweet couscous? That sounds really interesting, what would it go with?

I LOVE Indian food -- I'm going to try that.

Would that become a sweet couscous? That sounds really interesting, what would it go with?
I don't put that much in there so NO it isn't a "sweet" dish I serve this withfried chicken, it's good with pork tenderloin, just about anything...
I don't think I said anything but I love to add cilantro and mint to it at times or flat leaf parsley it gives it an other great taste.

kadesma

You can bake with them--add them to quick breads or challahs instead of raisins, even in oatmeal cookies. Wherever there is a chopped dried fruit, you can usually substitute them.

I love them in salads with toasted sliced almonds.

I love them added to oatmeal in the morning. I add them as I am cooking the oatmeal.

I carry "trail mix" in my sack made with various dried fruit, nuts and cereals. Sweetened dried cranberries, cashews and cheerios happened to be yesterdays mix. :chef::)

Use the for stuffed porkchops.

Make the stuffing and add the cranberries at the last to plump up. Then stuff your chops and bake.

I always add a handful to my oatmeal in the morning, along with brown sugar, cream, and cinnamon. The cranberries really make a difference.
I also make orange/cranberry biscotti with pistachios. Great addition since cranberries and oranges are a natural combination.

Adding dried cranberries to a spinach salad along with thinly sliced apples, pecans or walnuts, mandarin orange slices and poppyseed dressing is absolutely terrific.

Dried cranberries are great in salads. Throw them on top of some mixed greens, drizzle with balsamic and sprinkle some goat cheese on top and you've got a nice salad. I also use dried cranberries in oatmeal cookies and I also recently made a cranberry, ginger and white chocolate cookie that was awesome.

I also liked dried cranberries chopped and put in chicken salad.
Sprinkle some on your cereal or oatmeal.

Add some to a smoothie.

Dried cranberries are great in salads. Throw them on top of some mixed greens, drizzle with balsamic and sprinkle some goat cheese on top and you've got a nice salad. I also use dried cranberries in oatmeal cookies and I also recently made a cranberry, ginger and white chocolate cookie that was awesome.

I also liked dried cranberries chopped and put in chicken salad.
Sprinkle some on your cereal or oatmeal.

Add some to a smoothie.

How could I have forgotten about the oatmeal cookies and chicken salad? I just posted my recipe on another thread. :rolleyes:

I substitute cranberries for the raisins in oatmeal cookies. Much, much better.

I was at Costco a while back and bought a huge bag of dried cranberries. Unfortunaly, I didn't read the package carefully because they're sweetened and I'm not fond of eating (raw) sweatened cranberries. Any suggestions for what I can do with them?

Cheers,

I saw my boss put some on meat and sauce with vegetables. I can't tell which kind of meat and sauce it was, but maybe someone knows what I'm talking about.

Strawberry-Cranberry relish with some soft mild cheese and pastry! Just rehydrate the cranberries and add some fresh or frozen strawberries with the crans to a blender along with some lemon (or lime) juice and a little white wine and mint. Awesome!

Or you can make a cream reduction and add the crans to the cream along with some salt, pepper and liquor (cognac or grand marnier are my favs.) Serve the sauce with chicken, pork, duck, or venison.

All of those uses are so yummy that your ginormous bag may be gone by now (I've bought those same bags from Costco, as well). I saw a recipe in my Cooking Light book that uses them in rice krispie treats along with toasted pumpkin seeds. 1/4 cup of butter in the whole 9x13 pan, and if you like those retro desserts, it will kill a cup o' those cranberries for you! I made some the other day and everyone from husband on down to grandson loved them. They are gone.

Back
Top Bottom