ISO watermelon help!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

neilkaye

Assistant Cook
what is the best way to cut and easily de-seed a water mellon any suggestions appreciated

I'm with babe here - buy seedless. If you already have a seeded watermelon then you will have to chunk it and pick the seeds out if using in a fruit salad. If you are just going to slice it and eat it.....we....there's always a seed spitting contest. The best way to slice it is just cut it in half longways, then slice, then remove from rinds and store in a bowl/ziplock bag.

:huh: I actually typed speed sitting contest and had to erase it - is there a name for that besides "stupid"?

Cut a watermelon according to how many people are going to eat it. I don't think there is any organized special way to cut them. Try to use a knife that is the width of the melon so it cuts cleanly through the whole thing.

For regular melons, have a seed-spitting contest.

ok cheers guys as you can see im new to this forum and maybee ishould have put more in the first part of my question,i no to cut it with a knife and usually do it lengthways but the reasons i ask such a question are :-i its simply for speed and less effort and also its my kids that eat it and they cant grasp the seed spitting contest i just get ugh dad theres pips in it again,i guess the easy way is seed less which i never knew there was such mellon so thats very helpfull to me cheers guys

ok cheers guys as you can see im new to this forum and maybee ishould have put more in the first part of my question,i no to cut it with a knife and usually do it lengthways but the reasons i ask such a question are :-i its simply for speed and less effort and also its my kids that eat it and they cant grasp the seed spitting contest i just get ugh dad theres pips in it again,i guess the easy way is seed less which i never knew there was such mellon so thats very helpfull to me cheers guys

the seedless don't have the black seeds but they do have white seeds , so it is not entirely without seeds.

Hey, has anyone ever heard of this -- cut watermelon into bitesize chunks (no rinds, of course), put in a bowl and sprinkle with fresh lemon juice. Cover and chill several hours. My friend insists it is the best! I am waiting for melons to arrive that are not imported and then I'll give it a try!!

:idea:

they do have a few, flat generally soft seeds. shouldn't be a problem. they are easily removed since there are so few.

babe:idea:
ok thats good news,will be goin shopping at end of month and will be getting one then

Hey, has anyone ever heard of this -- cut watermelon into bitesize chunks (no rinds, of course), put in a bowl and sprinkle with fresh lemon juice. Cover and chill several hours. My friend insists it is the best! I am waiting for melons to arrive that are not imported and then I'll give it a try!!

born and raised in watermelon country, i have never heard of it. deep south is watermelon country. we did sprinkle it with salt. makes it sweeter.

babe
let us know how it tastes.:chef:

was it nice???

Yes, Neilkaye, watermelon chunks sprinkled with lemon juice are delicious! I added a few leaves of fresh mint, finely chopped, too. Cool and Refreshing!! YUM!!!

sounds good i will have to try it auntieshelly,dont think the kids will but i defo will
*amy* great link thanks ,thats what ive been after in the begining of this thread cheers,neil

I've seen where you soak watermelon in frozen lemonade concentrate (thawed) and vodka. I've not tried it.

After reading that, I've sprinkled weak flavored watermelon with sweetened powdered lemonade mix with pleasant results.

thymeless

Back
Top Bottom