"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Fruit & Nuts

Old 08-03-2011, 06:56 PM   #1
Chef Extraordinaire

ISO What to do with canned mandarin oranges...

Okay--I took inventory of my folks' stash (they are prepared for the end-of-the-world). What do you do with 23 cans of mandarin oranges, 17 cans of sliced mushrooms, 13 cans of sliced pineapple, and 31 cans of tomatoes, tomato sauce, etc.., 13 cans of cream of mushroom soup and 2 cans of sour cherries (not to mention all the cans of canned salmon, tuna, and chicken, as well as oysters)? I've been "ordered" to cook from the pantry...let's start with the mandarin oranges--what do you do with canned mandarin oranges? My dad says "make orange jello" (quite frankly, that isn't high on my list of things I'd like to eat). Ideas????

Old 08-03-2011, 07:02 PM   #2
Executive Chef

Canned Mandarin oranges, by themselves, makes a nice desert, or add them to cottage cheese for breakfast, or add them to a salad for lunch.

Old 08-03-2011, 07:02 PM   #3
Head Chef

Use the canned fruits and toss them in a salad with mixed baby greens, some nuts and a raspberry vinegarette. You can make a rice and chicken casserole ala 1950 using the mushroom soup. (But let's face it it's going to be high in sodium) Fish crouquettes or patties can be doused in mushroom soup.
Old 08-03-2011, 07:04 PM   #4
Master Chef

23 cans? Oh my!

Orange/almond salad with spinach -- a blast from the past!

Fruit salad with some fresh fruit.

Waldorf salad. Sorry but I wouldn't eat that.

Why not purée it and add it to sone vodka and seltzer?
Old 08-03-2011, 07:08 PM   #5
Master Chef

The oranges or the pineapple would be good in a Chinese chicken salad.

I would be very happy with that stash and so would many other people.

When life tosses you a lemon make lemonade.
Old 08-03-2011, 07:12 PM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire

I love mandarins icy cold on a platter with red grapfuit sliced so it looks like an open flover, the top with thin sliced red onion top with sprinkle with sesame seed and poppy seed dressing made of sugar dry mustard vinegar chopped onion veggie oil and poppy seeds.
kades
Old 08-03-2011, 07:13 PM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire

The problem is that my father doesn't cook and my mother's dementia has progressed where she is not allowed to cook...not that she was ever a great cook. Ambrosia salad...I did make sweet-and-sour pork chops last night with some of the pineapple and did mix a can of the mandarin oranges in with cottage cheese today for lunch. I thought of spinach salad, but spinach is on the "no-no" list for my mom, ditto re: cabbage.

So, my father goes to the base in Grand Forks to pick up my mom's meds on a regular basis...he buys the cans of mandarin oranges there. I've given him a "DO NOT BUY" list as he is going to the base next week...maybe I should go with to make sure he doesn't add more canned goods to the pantry. They also have 3 freezers full...and that list isn't everything in the pantry...my goal before I leave is to get the # of cans of oranges down by about 1/2.

Thanks everyone!

The seltzer-vodka combo sounds good--but they no longer can consume alcohol...hmmm...would I be able to consume that many cans of mandarin oranges with vodka-seltzer before August 23rd...
Old 08-03-2011, 07:17 PM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire

I'd be happy with that stash, too, AB.

CW, I guess your parents want to get rid of what they have been saving for TEOTWAWKI??? That seems odd, but I would take the mandarin oranges and use them on some grilled babyback ribs. You could use the syrup/juice to make a glaze.
For instructions, send me half the cans, lol.
Old 08-03-2011, 07:35 PM   #9
Chef Extraordinaire

My folks are in their early '80s. I jokingly asked my dad that if I emptied the pantry and the freezers, did that mean they were going to move to assisted living? Conveniently, he didn't have his hearing aids turned on, so I didn't get an answer. It is a case of elderly individuals not being able to deal with things and being overwhelmed by life in general. Also, my father has a bit of "hoarder's instinct" in that he keeps buying cans of stuff, food, but there's no one there to use it up. I have drawn the line at hamburger helper--that he's going to have to use up after I head back to Ontario. I'm NOT eating (or cooking) that. And, since they do eat that kind of stuff, when I'm here, I like to cook from scratch for them using fresh ingredients--especially right now--it is harvest season.
Old 08-03-2011, 07:37 PM   #10
Head Chef

Here are some recipes from my to-try list:

CARIBBEAN RICE
Caribbean Rice Recipe - Food.com - 47168

ORANGE AVOCADO SALAD
Orange Avocado Salad Recipe | Taste of Home Recipes

SPINACH SALAD WITH SOY GINGER DRESSING
For the Love of Cooking: Spinach Salad with Soy Ginger Dressing

Tags
None