"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Fruit & Nuts

Old 05-11-2009, 08:03 PM   #1
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Lemon Curd recipe - TNT

Here's my lemon curd recipe I've made for years. It's really, really, really good. Enjoy!

LEMON CURD
(Makes about 2 cups)
6 eggs
4 lemons
cup (1 stick) butter, no substitutions
1 heaping cup sugar

Beat the eggs, squeeze the lemons and grate the rinds. Add juice, grated rind, butter, and sugar to beaten eggs. Cook in double boiler until mixture thickens.

Serve on bread and butter, toast, English muffins, etc., or use as a filling for cakes and tarts.

Old 05-11-2009, 08:06 PM   #2
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie E View Post
Here's my lemon curd recipe I've made for years. It's really, really, really good. Enjoy!

LEMON CURD
(Makes about 2 cups)
6 eggs
4 lemons
cup (1 stick) butter, no substitutions
1 heaping cup sugar

Beat the eggs, squeeze the lemons and grate the rinds. Add juice, grated rind, butter, and sugar to beaten eggs. Cook in double boiler until mixture thickens.

Serve on bread and butter, toast, English muffins, etc., or use as a filling for cakes and tarts.
can this be used for lemon meringue pie? how much lemon juice would that be? can i add the lemon zest?

Old 05-11-2009, 08:15 PM   #3
Head Chef

Katie, about how long will this keep in the fridge?
Old 05-11-2009, 08:38 PM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Gosh, JMediger! It usually gets eaten up so quickly but I think I've kept it in the refrigerator for several weeks without any problem. I recommend keeping it in the coldest part though.

Well, msmofet, I would imagine it could be used for a lemon meringue pie. As for how much juice, whatever the 4 lemons produce. That's how I've always made it and never had a problem. The zest? The recipe calls for grating all 4 lemons and including the grated peel, so you would already have the zest. That's one of the things that makes this curd so wonderfully "lemony."
Old 05-11-2009, 08:41 PM   #5
Master Chef

Quote:
Gosh, JMediger! It usually gets eaten up so quickly but I think I've kept it in the refrigerator for several weeks without any problem. I recommend keeping it in the coldest part though.

Well, msmofet, I would imagine it could be used for a lemon meringue pie. As for how much juice, whatever the 4 lemons produce. That's how I've always made it and never had a problem. The zest? The recipe calls for grating all 4 lemons and including the grated peel, so you would already have the zest. That's one of the things that makes this curd so wonderfully "lemony."
DOH!! i completely missed the grating part. to many things on my mind sorry.
Old 05-11-2009, 10:54 PM   #6
Master Chef

Katie...How about I make the puffs and you make the curd? That would make such wonderful cream puffs...dusted with a lot of powdered sugar, of course.
It would also be great in eclairs...we just need a good chocolate frosting to top them with.

Lol...I used to do choux pastry all the time, but I don't have enough strength in my arms to beat the eggs in anymore. I saw Ina do that in either the blender or the food processor. Would that be as good?

Truth be told, I usually made savory puffs, filled with chicken or ham salad.
Old 05-12-2009, 12:18 AM   #7
Certified Cake Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Constance View Post
Lol...I used to do choux pastry all the time, but I don't have enough strength in my arms to beat the eggs in anymore. I saw Ina do that in either the blender or the food processor. Would that be as good?
Constance, I have problems with the beating by hand as well. A couple of years ago I made a croquembouche wedding cake and needed 300 mini puffs. I did a few large batches and it didn't work well so I tried using first the food processor and then the next batch in my KA. They came out quite dry and hard. I ended up making very small batches by hand over a couple of days and ended up with my three hundred, a ton of rejects and very sore arms and shoulders. I didn't see Ina do it so maybe there is a trick to it.

http://beinglydia.com
LPBeier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 12:19 AM   #8
Certified Cake Maniac

Katie, I have a TNT Lemon Curd recipe too, and will be making some tarts for my first two weddings. I think I will try this as it is a little simpler and sounds delicious! Thanks!

http://beinglydia.com
LPBeier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 12:22 AM   #9
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

It's really good, Laurie. I'm thinking about making an "orange" curd using oranges. I think that would be yummy, too.
Old 05-12-2009, 03:23 AM   #10
Head Chef

Quote:
It's really good, Laurie. I'm thinking about making an "orange" curd using oranges. I think that would be yummy, too.

Thank you.

Tags
None