Lemon Ideas Needed!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
ronjohn55 said:
How about getting some honey and making something like a lemon ginger mead?

Too bad they aren't pineapples, then I'd know JUST what to reccomend! :mrgreen:

John
lol
So....how would I go about making a lemon ginger mead, John?

Did you make lemon marmalade, or candied lemon peel, or those wonderful preserved lemons? Also, just how do you use your preserved lemons?

jkath said:
lol
So....how would I go about making a lemon ginger mead, John?

Just grate up some fresh ginger (but a ton, or it can overpower everything) and some lemon zest, and add it to about a gallon of water. Bring it up to about 170, and then take it off the heat. Mix in the honey (2 lbs would be good to do about a gallon of mead) and add it to a fermenter (an old gallon wine jug would work - a little bit bigger one would be better) and once it gets down to about 80 degrees add a neutral ale yeast (like the stuff at the bottom of Sierra Nevada pale ale).

It'll ferment off, then just rack (or decant) it off to let it clear and age. Then enjoy...

I actually use plastic buckets for my 5 gallon batches - for a smaller one you can actually use the home depot buckets, just wash it out good first!

John

pdswife said:
What would you do with the pineapples... ?

Why, ferment them, of course! :angel:

Pineapples and honey fermented into a mead create a delightful beverage!

John

jkath said:
A couple of days ago I picked some of the wonderfully sweet meyer lemons from my tree. 103, to be exact.

One can only drink so much lemonade, so I'd like to ask for some suggestions for recipes from you. I've checked the archives, but many only call for a tbsp or so of the juice. (PS - I do freeze the juice, but right now the freezer is a bit on the full side, so it's not an option today)

Thanks all!

I watched Marta Stewart cook these online.. they look delicious! and she said to use meyer lemons even!
Little Lemon Souffles Serves 8Use a melon baller or serrated grapefruit spoon to scoop out the rinds. 8
spacer.gif
large lemons, preferably Meyer 3
spacer.gif
large eggs, separated 1/2
spacer.gif
cup granulated sugar 2
spacer.gif
tablespoons all-purpose flour
spacer.gif
Confectioners' sugar, for dusting 1. Preheat oven to 350°; line a baking sheet with parchment. Trim tip end from a lemon so fruit sits level. Cut stem end one-third of the way down, making cut parallel with bottom; reserve top. Repeat with remaining lemons. 2. Hold a lemon above a sieve set over a bowl, and scoop out the pulp. Squeeze the juice from the pulp, and reserve. Repeat with all lemons. Place shells on prepared baking sheet. 3. Combine egg yolks, 1/4 cup granulated sugar, 1/4 cup reserved lemon juice, and flour in the heat-proof bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the whisk attachment. Beat mixture on medium speed until pale yellow, about 3 minutes. Place bowl over a pan of simmering water; whisk constantly until very thick, about 8 minutes. Remove bowl from heat, and return to mixer. Beat on medium speed until cool, scraping down sides several times, about 10 minutes. Transfer to a medium bowl, and set aside. 4. Combine egg whites and remaining 1/4 cup granulated sugar in clean mixer bowl. Place the bowl over the pan of simmering water, and stir until sugar has dissolved and mixture is warm to the touch. Remove bowl from heat, and return to mixer; beat on low speed until frothy. Gradually increase speed until meringue is shiny and holds soft peaks, 2 to 3 minutes, being careful not to overbeat. 5. Whisk one-third of the meringue into the yolk mixture. Gently fold in the remaining meringue. Carefully fill the prepared lemon shells to just below the rims. 6. Transfer baking sheet to oven, and bake until meringue is slightly golden and rises about 1 inch above the shell, about 14 minutes. Remove from oven, and transfer to serving plates. Garnish with the reserved lemon tops, and dust with confectioners' sugar. Serve immediately.

Attachments

• dssrt_00370_t.jpeg
    dssrt_00370_t.jpeg
    12.9 KB · Views: 116
Debbie! You are a mind reader! Those were in one of her magazine issues, and I'd cut it out to use.......and then I lost it when we moved. You are a lifesaver!!!
lifesaver-r-72.jpg

jkath said:
Debbie! You are a mind reader! Those were in one of her magazine issues, and I'd cut it out to use.......and then I lost it when we moved. You are a lifesaver!!!

lol you are a nut! but thank you for the lifesavers LOL :)

Preparing and Preserving Lemon Curd

jkath said:
A couple of days ago I picked some of the wonderfully sweet meyer lemons from my tree. 103, to be exact.
..... so I'd like to ask for some suggestions for recipes from you.
Thanks all!
OMG...I'm a little late for you but after near 70 posts, I didn't read about Lemon Curd.
Here is a link for "all about" storing lemons in a "fruitful" way.:LOL:

http://www.uga.edu/nchfp/publications/nchfp/factsheets/lemoncurd.html

considering holiday give-aways, you might need to plant another tree or two.

Thanks, Chatwon! Actually, today I'm going out to pick more - my sister's here and she said "How many HUNDRED are on that tree, anyway?" It's time again!

lol, i don't know why this popped into my head, but i picture jkath greeting her visitors at the door, face all puckered up from lemon. shortly thereafter, everyone is sitting around enjoying tea (with lemon) and conversation, faces all puckered up...:doh:

buckytom said:
lol, i don't know why this popped into my head, but i picture jkath greeting her visitors at the door, face all puckered up from lemon. shortly thereafter, everyone is sitting around enjoying tea (with lemon) and conversation, faces all puckered up...:doh:

You know, since I read that post, all I can think of are those stupid Keystone beer commercials talking about the "Bitter Beer Face"!

It's almost as bad as having a song stuck in your head!

John

Back
Top Bottom