Lychees, anyone?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I LOVE fresh Lychee Nuts!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It was the first thing I ate after having 12+ straight hours of food poisoning in Thailand. After 3 days I could finally sit up and eat these. We can't get them here and I am so jealous you can surely see my green from this far away! :ermm:

Is there an easy way to de-seed the Lychees?

If they are very ripe, the seeds will come out easily. If not, it is a bit of a struggle. I think if you make a cut horizontally (around the middle, perpendicular to the seed), you might be able to slip the seed out easier. They are a challenge, but they are worth it!

I love Lychees. You are indeed lucky to have easy access to them. I don't find them much (fresh ones) in Chicago and when I do they are pretty pricey and not the best.

In any case the best thing you can make with lychees is lychee icecream. It's one of my absolute favorite and is widely popular in Asia. I make it sometimes with canned lychees (after draining the liquid). Try it and you will not be disappointed.

One large pint of heavy cream
One large pint of half and half
Sugar to taste
Chopped lychees (roughly pulsed in a food processor not totally mushed)

Cook the cream and half and half and sugar on stove top until the mixture is nice and thick. Allow it too cool. Now stir in the chopped lychees and mix well. Pour into an airtight container and place in the freezer.

After two hours, remove the container and stir the contents to break any ice crystals. Place one more time for another 2-3 hours. Remove and repeat the process of breaking ice crystals. Now put a seran wrap on the surface of the liquid, close the container and forget about it.

Remove it 30 minutes prior to serving.

It's super yummy and a perfect dessert for a summer BBQ party.

We make this and kulfi (another rich Indian icecream) and both of these go over well with our audience.

Looks interesting... I have heard of them, seen them, but would not be able to identify the fruit to the name. Actually the folks across the street have some sort of fruiting tree that looks similar. (I will have to take a closer look next time.) Last year when this tree fruited, the neighbors that live next to them were picking the tree clean!

I love lychees! I made lychee martinis yesterday and my guests could not get enough of them. You are so lucky to have a tree of them.

Back
Top Bottom