Making cashew butter in a food chopper

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kitchengoddess8

Sous Chef
I just bought a KitchenAid food chopper and would like to know whether to process the cashews on "chop" or "purée" to make cashew butter. My recipe includes roasted cashews, sunflower oil, and salt. Does anyone know what setting to use to get nice creamy cashew butter?

I based my answer on the fact that nut butter is a pureed food. You may have to stop a time or two and scrape down the sides of the bowl to get a homogeneous mixture.

Andy M. said:
I based my answer on the fact that nut butter is a pureed food. You may have to stop a time or two and scrape down the sides of the bowl to get a homogeneous mixture.

Makes sense. The problem I had with my Cuisinart chopper is that my nut butters were never puréed. They always came out a bit chunky no matter what settings I used. I'm looking forward to trying the KitchenAid because it got great reviews.

IS this what you had? I have one of these and make a nice smooth hummus. I've never made a nut butter.

Attachments

• ch-4dc.jpg
    ch-4dc.jpg
    19.5 KB · Views: 426
Last edited:
Andy M. said:
IS this what you had? I have one of these and make a nice smooth hummus. I've never made a nut butter.

Did you attach a product link? I didn't see one.

I have a very old Sunbeam Oskar mini processor. When I am making a chocolate cake, I put hazelnuts in it and it processes them to a fine powder like flour. I replace some of the flour with the hazelnut powder and it gives the cake a flavor that makes you wonder just what is it in there. :yum:

Addie said:
I have a very old Sunbeam Oskar mini processor. When I am making a chocolate cake, I put hazelnuts in it and it processes them to a fine powder like flour. I replace some of the flour with the hazelnut powder and it gives the cake a flavor that makes you wonder just what is it in there. :yum:

Sounds delicious!

Using the grind setting to chop the nuts and purée when adding the oil worked like a charm. My cashew butter came out super creamy and delicious!

Since I don't eat my own baking, I am very careful of what I put nuts or nut byproducts in. I make mini cranberry/orange pumpkin breads for the church fair every year. Six have nuts and has a label on them. Six without. And I make sure the ones with nuts is double wrapped so it doesn't affect the simpler ones without nuts. They are always the first food item that they sell out. I have three bowls for my mixer. The ones with nuts get mixed in a separate bowl. And I make sure I clean the paddle in hot soapy water and dry well, before using it again for the nutless ones. :yum::yum:

Back
Top Bottom