"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Fruit & Nuts

Old 09-26-2006, 02:41 PM   #31
Head Chef

After living in US for about 17 + years there is still one thing I cannot get used to and that is the mangoes that are available here. They are just O.K. and nothing special. I guess people don't really know how the mangoes sold in Asia are.

The various varieties were mind boggling in India (atleast 6 or more that I can remember). Each has it's own different specialty. Some are good for pickling, some good for juicing and yes we make all sorts of stuff with mangoes. Still others just for cutting and eating.

The best mango hands down in the world has to be the Alphonso which come from the extremely steamy hot Konkan region of India. The bright orange skin and the bright yellow super sweet flesh (and it has no stringiness that most of the mangoes in America do) cannot be explained in words. You actually have to try it to believe it.

They are by no means cheap even in India but I really really hope that someday they will arrive to the west.

Old 09-26-2006, 02:48 PM   #32
Chief Eating Officer

Yakuta you have my mouth watering. I almost want to buy a plane ticket to India just to try an Alphonso mango. Mango is one of my favorite fruits and I have only had the kind we can get here in America. I can not imagine how they could taste even better, but I have no doubt you are right.

Old 09-26-2006, 03:21 PM   #33
Head Chef

Hi GB, I am going to India at the end of October for a month on business and the bummer is that the mango season is over so I will not get to try that Alphonso that I have been craving for 12 years (that was the last time I visited India). I guess my luck . I guess I will have to settle trying some other yummy fruits (if my now westernized tummy can handle) like custard apples (which are only found in the carribean here), lychees and palm fruit which should be available this time of the year.
Old 09-26-2006, 03:35 PM   #34
Chief Eating Officer

We do a lot of business with India as well and it is somewhat likely that I would be asked to go over for at least a few weeks at some point. If they ask me to go I will gladly say yes and hope that it is in the right season for the Alphonso's.
Old 09-26-2006, 03:44 PM   #35
Executive Chef

Send a message via MSN to urmaniac13 Send a message via Skype™ to urmaniac13
Mmmm... I can only dream of those fresh locally grown and ripen tropical fruits... I am sure it would be the same thing, even with bananas and pineapples, too. I can only imagine your pining Yakuta, but feel sorry for those of us who have never been lucky to experience such nature's treat!!

I really hope one day I will have that opportunity.
Old 09-26-2006, 04:06 PM   #36
Head Chef

Urmaniac, I get the same feeling when I see the tomatoes, fresh basil and not to mention the aged parmesean and other yummy cheeses that come from Italy.

It's good that some of the Italian goodies have made it to the US. I guess it would have been a huge loss not to have experienced the nutty and delish cheeses from Italy.
Old 09-26-2006, 08:57 PM   #37
Head Chef

Asians are fiercely proud of their own country's mangoes and would get into arguments about it. The Indians believe they have the best mangoes. The Filipinos, Thais and others think the same thing! That's why my husband, whose Asian team is having their annual meeting in Bangkok next month, is organizing a mango blind taste test as a fun extracurricular activity. Each one from a different country will bring their country's best mangoes. There'll be a panel of blindfolded tasters. To lend credibility to the exercise, the test will be administered by the regional market research person. Is that interesting or what?! I'll report back on what happens.
Old 09-26-2006, 09:05 PM   #38
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yakuta
Urmaniac, I get the same feeling when I see the tomatoes, fresh basil and not to mention the aged parmesean and other yummy cheeses that come from Italy.

It's good that some of the Italian goodies have made it to the US. I guess it would have been a huge loss not to have experienced the nutty and delish cheeses from Italy.
we've finished our mango season too, Yakuta, although there are some varieties which last until December... Hope you can find them in India; there's nothing more hedonistic that eating a slice of mango and having the juice dribble down your chin!!
Old 09-26-2006, 11:05 PM   #39
Sous Chef

Send a message via MSN to Lynan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chopstix
Asians are fiercely proud of their own country's mangoes and would get into arguments about it. The Indians believe they have the best mangoes. The Filipinos, Thais and others think the same thing! That's why my husband, whose Asian team is having their annual meeting in Bangkok next month, is organizing a mango blind taste test as a fun extracurricular activity. Each one from a different country will bring their country's best mangoes. There'll be a panel of blindfolded tasters. To lend credibility to the exercise, the test will be administered by the regional market research person. Is that interesting or what?! I'll report back on what happens.
Oh boy...that sure will be interesting!! I can imagine some VERY hurt feelings when one's own mango is deemed to be inferior. And someone's will be.
Dont forget to let us know the results!!
Old 09-27-2006, 11:15 AM   #40
Head Chef

Hi Chopstick, yes the blind taste does sound intriguing. Please do report back the results. If anything tops the Alphonso I would like to know because I would certainly like to try it at some point in my life. I did not think anything can be better than an Alphonso as far as mangoes are concerned but if there is I can't even imagine what it would taste like (I am sure it would be an experience not to be missed from a tasting perspective and I would have to add it to my list of must trys at some point in my life).

Tags
None