"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Fruit & Nuts

Old 09-28-2006, 08:11 AM   #51
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by shpj4
I like to skin the mangoes first and then store them in my refrigerator. I love eating them just plain.
How do you keep them from turning brown quickly!!

Let me recommend Daisy's shrimp, avocado, and mango salad on the first page. THAT is a wonderful recipe. I have also used orzo instead of rice in it.

Old 09-28-2006, 08:37 AM   #52
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gretchen
How do you keep them from turning brown quickly!!
Good question! I've never tried putting it in lemon water to prevent browning from oxidation. Has anyone tried? Normally, we don't skin the mangoes until about ready to eat.

Old 09-28-2006, 08:46 AM   #53
Chief Eating Officer

I have never had magos turn brown on me after peeling. I had a bowl of mango sitting in my fridge, covered with platic wrap (but not pushed down or anything) for at least 3 days and there was no brown at all.
Old 09-28-2006, 08:52 AM   #54
Head Chef

I have encountered browning when kept unskinned in the fridge overnight. Even covered with cling wrap, not pushed down though. It seems to happen more with very ripe mangoes.
Old 10-22-2006, 07:02 AM   #55
Head Chef

Well, the mango blind taste test was conducted a few days ago as a fun activity at DH's conference at a beachside resort south of Bangkok. The best mangoes from the following seven countries were sampled: (Too bad Yakuta, India is not represented as the business there is still being set up.)

Indonesia
Vietnam
Philippines
Vietnam
Malaysia
China
Thailand

All the mangoes were served buffet-style without labels. Each of the 30+ participants tasted all the mangoes and were allowed to cast a single vote for the best tasting mango.

The result? Indonesia got 0 votes. All the rest got 1 or 2 votes except for the second highest scorer which was the Philippines with 6 votes and the hands-down winner which was...

... Thailand with 23 votes.

Of course people can argue that the taste test is inconclusive due to difference in seasonality of the various mango species but ... let's not go there. This was just done in the spirit of fun and friendly competition. DH said they'll try to do it again next year. Hopefully next time it will be during summer as that's when mangoes are normally at their best.

A sidelight: Because they don't have mangoes in China, the Chinese folks brought some sort of Chinese pear instead. This was included in the taste test. The funny thing was that China got 2 votes!!! It rated higher than some of the real mangoes!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Mango competition.JPG
Views:	99
Size:	72.0 KB
ID:	2086  
Old 10-22-2006, 07:08 AM   #56
Sous Chef

Soooo ... would they be looking for new employees at your hubby's company?
Old 10-22-2006, 07:33 AM   #57
Sous Chef

"the Chinese folks brought some sort of Chinese pear instead."
Would it have been called Ya fruit?
Great report Chopstix, are you able to tell us the varieties of Mango that you taste tested. I would have loved to have been there.
Old 10-22-2006, 07:57 AM   #58
Head Chef

I just love mangoes. I'm so jealous you have lots. Peel and cut into slices. Make a syrup from a little water, white sugar and lime juice. Make it a little sharp because of the sweetness of the mangoes. Pour over the fruit and leave to marinade for a while and for the mango flavour to infuse into the syrup. This is one of my all-time favourite fruit desserts and could hardly be easier (apart from peeling the mangoes!).
Old 10-22-2006, 08:19 AM   #59
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snoop Puss
I just love mangoes. I'm so jealous you have lots. Peel and cut into slices. Make a syrup from a little water, white sugar and lime juice. Make it a little sharp because of the sweetness of the mangoes. Pour over the fruit and leave to marinade for a while and for the mango flavour to infuse into the syrup. This is one of my all-time favourite fruit desserts and could hardly be easier (apart from peeling the mangoes!).
I would imagin that your climate would be good for growing Mangoes, ours are ready to pick around Christmas time so it's great, they realy are something nice to eat, We make a syrup with the water and sugar but add sliced onions to it, never thought about Lime juice, thanks for that.
Old 10-22-2006, 09:08 AM   #60
Chief Eating Officer

Facinating! Thanks for the report. I wish I could have helped judge

Tags
None