Mangos

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
attie said:
I would imagin that your climate would be good for growing Mangoes, ours are ready to pick around Christmas time so it's great, they realy are something nice to eat

Hi Attie,

I'm definitely going to look into it. I'm not sure if the rest of this message should be sent as a private message, but there seems to be so much interest in your trees that I'll post it here in case others are interested in the information.

I see from the photo that the tree is huge! Are they difficult to grow? I'm really hoping to be able to move a bit further south to a run-down farm with some land where a tree like this could grow. Not sure if this scheme will come off but it's looking more possible than it did a few months ago, so maybe it will. The climate is cold in winter but warm in summer (average daytime temperature in January is 8ºC, for example, 1.1ºC for average day and nighttime temperatures) and hot in summer (cooler evenings but in the low to mid 30s most days during the daytime). It's also quite windy. OK, I know this is mild for lots of parts of the world, but it's not the temperature most people think of when they think of Spain.:)

Do you need two trees for fertilisation purposes or are they self-fertile? And the big question for Spain, do they need a lot of water? I guess so because the fruit is so juicy. And how long before the tree starts to produce fruit? And how on earth do you pick the fruit on such a large tree? Climb up?

I can't imagine anything better than a home-grown, juicy mango in yoghurt for breakfast. I'm swooning just at the thought of it.

Followed by lunch of guacamole made with home-grown avocado pears. Anyone here grow those?!

Hey Snoop Puss, I forgot to add the white vinegar to that syrup, bet it sounded strange.
That tree in the picture would be somewhere between 50 and 100 years old. They're not hard to grow at all but take 8 years to bear fruit, an 8 year old tree would be about 2.4m [8ft] tall so they're very slow growing. The commercial growers water and fertilise them but normally they need very little water, mainly around the time they're setting fruit. They need a temperate climate with no more frost than a couple of days in a row so it might be a bit cold for you. They don't like much wind when they're setting fruit, this year we had strong winds at that time and I'm going to get a poor crop. A variety called Kensington Pride is our most popular, our Mangoes originated from India.
Avocado pears grow alongside them climate wise if that helps you, make sure you get grafted trees if you can otherwise you'll be waiting 8 years as well

attie said:
"the Chinese folks brought some sort of Chinese pear instead."
Would it have been called Ya fruit?

Hey Attie, I've no idea. But I do know that in the Fukien dialect, pears are called La-ya.:chef:

We used to have a few mango trees in our garden while in Singapore. I do believe they are the apple and Alfanso varieties. Sadly, they were not as sweet and fragrant as the Thai mangoes perhaps due to climatic and soil conditions. Especially during rainy season, the fruit is almost tasteless. As a result, most of them ended up being used while still unripe in salads.

Mago Kiwi Shortcake/ w mago habenero sauce

Here is something a little different if you like the sweet-heat for dessert

1 ripe mango
juice from 1/2 lime
8 mint leaves
seeded habenro pepper to taste
real cinnamon to taste
blend in food processor

Filling:
1 chopped ripe mango
1 chopped ripe kiwi
chiffonade ( spelling?) 3 mint leaves
mix all

4 shorcakes ( I use bisquick)

Slice the shortcake, scoop filling in, top with other half of shortcake, spoon sauce over and top with whip cream or cool whip. Garnish with mint leaves and a sprinkle of cinnamon.

Life's too short to drink cheap wine and eat boring food,

JDP

Back
Top Bottom