"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Fruit & Nuts

Old 09-17-2006, 07:05 AM   #1
Senior Cook

Send a message via MSN to SpiritWolf Send a message via Yahoo to SpiritWolf
Mangos

Can anyone help me with different ideas for mangoes, my tree is loaded this year and I really dont know what to do with all of them. I know you can freeze them, but then you can only use them in cooking, they go all mushy, which I Hate, I make Icecream out of them and sorbets, but what else can I do, I really LOVE MANGO CHICKEN, but How do I do it properly, my recipie is not good enough, not enough Mango flavor, unlike the restaurents, they do it so good. I normally use double what the recipie says, as I like a real strong flavour, but it is not good enough, and the mangoes are real watery.
Please can anyone help, or give me new recipies, That would be a great help,
Thanks heaps for your help
Spiritwolf from Aussie Land.

Old 09-17-2006, 07:26 AM   #2
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpiritWolf
Can anyone help me with different ideas for mangoes, my tree is loaded this year and I really dont know what to do with all of them. I know you can freeze them, but then you can only use them in cooking, they go all mushy, which I Hate, I make Icecream out of them and sorbets, but what else can I do, I really LOVE MANGO CHICKEN, but How do I do it properly, my recipie is not good enough, not enough Mango flavor, unlike the restaurents, they do it so good. I normally use double what the recipie says, as I like a real strong flavour, but it is not good enough, and the mangoes are real watery.
Hello Spiritwolf, I think we're in the wrong section here but I guess someone will fix that. I'm in Mackay just south of you and my Mango tree is just setting fruit. What sort are they? Bowen Specials? What about some chutney or sauce, I've got some recipes that are tried and work well. You're right about them going mushy once frozen, the taste also changes.

Old 09-17-2006, 07:45 AM   #3
Head Chef

Cubed ripe mango goes very well in a salad of arugula, feta cheese, walnuts, salami slices with balsamic vinaigrette.

A very popular Thai dessert is Mango Sticky Rice (Khao nyeow mamuang). Basically it's sticky rice steamed and mixed with coconut milk and sugar. Delicious with mango slices.
Old 09-17-2006, 08:50 AM   #4
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpiritWolf
Let me help you out....send them to me!! Check the soup board..I printed a recipe for mango soup you'll probably love!
Old 09-17-2006, 09:47 AM   #5
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeraBlue
Let me help you out....send them to me!!
Dang! I'm with Vera Blue! Too MANY mangoes?! How is such a thing possible?

This year I made mango chutney for the first time. So succesful I'm about to make my third batch. It should keep for a year or so, and also makes nice gifts for friends who like that sort of thing. Clive is your man to see for this sort of thing (you can do a quick search for him or for mango on this site).

Particularly nice made with green/green-ish mangoes I found -- retains a really nice "bite" even after all the cooking.
Old 09-17-2006, 12:19 PM   #6
Sous Chef

The problem we have guys is [as you know] we don't have much time to enjoy them. I picked about 700kg from my tree last year, ate as many as we could, made as much chutney and sauce as we wanted and then gave the rest away. SpiritWolf's mangoes would be just about ready whereas mine won't be ready untill December as I'm some 400klm south of her.
I like the mango butter recipe Daisy, in fact all the recipes so keep them coming.
Yep, Clive's the man, we've been in top secret discussions of late about chutney as I've become very partial to JAIPUR [made in India] chutney and would like to make something similar
Thanks people
Old 09-17-2006, 12:27 PM   #7
Sous Chef

Because of Fruit Fly and the blinking Flying Foxes we have to pick them green.
Old 09-17-2006, 03:18 PM   #8
Sous Chef

Send a message via MSN to Lynan
Chicken Mango and Macadamia Nut Salad

I posted this recipe a couple of weeks ago

A glut of those babies huh?? Its totally not fair that I cant get them to grow in my backyard!
Old 09-17-2006, 07:21 PM   #9
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to Barb L.
Wink

Feel Like Iam in the dark ages - never had Mango or chutney -woo is me !
Old 09-18-2006, 12:45 AM   #10
Senior Cook

Send a message via MSN to SpiritWolf Send a message via Yahoo to SpiritWolf
Thank you everybody for all your beaut ideas and recipies on Mangoes. Especially to you Attie, Im glad someone else from Aussie Land is on here as well, as Attie says we have to pick them green if you want to save them from the horrid Flying Foxes (Bats), I wasted about 2 dozen shopping bags full last year as the foxes got to them, then You have to throw them out, unless my dogs get to them first.Attie my trees ( I have 2 ), are both Bowen, but one got cut back severly in February this year, so isnt producing this season, I normally get about 500 mangoes on this particular tree, it is a beaut provider of mangoes, but unfortunatley not this year. The other tree isn;t as good, but we have had a double batch or double flowering this year with this one, fruit is on there now, and also new blooming is happening now as well. So this tree may come good this season, we are picking our first batch in about 4 weeks, I just needed some new recipies before I ruined them by freezing them, not that there will be many left after eating them from the tree, and giving friends and niehbours, some for free, they raid my tree anyway, and I need to do something else with them, before the season ends. I would gladly give anyone some, if u lived near me, but sorry guys, You will just have to dream on instead. Do you get Mangoes in the States, I wasn't sure. They would be expensive I s'pose if u do.
Thanks every body, I am going to try all of your recipies.

Tags
None