"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Fruit & Nuts

Old 01-18-2015, 11:24 PM   #11
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alix View Post
I think I'd start by reading the ingredient list on a Nutella jar. This is the list:

Sugar, vegetable oil, hazelnuts (13%), cocoa powder (7.4%), non-fat milk solids, emulsifier (soy lecithin), flavour (vanillin)

Toast the hazelnuts, then buzz them in the food processor with oil til you get a good smooth consistency. Then you can add the sugar and cocoa to get where you need to be. Not sure how you would add non fat milk solids...maybe skim milk powder?

Sounds like a plan. Try this.

Old 01-19-2015, 07:16 AM   #12
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by MstrPBK View Post
I would agree that anything from dairy would not be "shelf safe" and would need to be refrigerated. Considering where I am standing with ingredients I will keep your observations of "I would stick with ground hazelnuts and high fat cocoa, adding in food grade cocoa butter and sugar to taste." for the next attempt of this. Thank you for your input.

Peter Kelley
St. Paul, MN USA

Well, the original Nutella does have dairy in it.

Sent from my iPad using Discuss Cooking

Old 01-19-2015, 10:42 AM   #13
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieD View Post

But as "Dried Milk Solids", not fresh dairy.
Old 01-19-2015, 11:23 AM   #14
Master Chef

Though pudding has a creamy mouth feel, it contains a significant amount of water in it. A spread made from pudding would cause anything it is spread on to become watery.

That being said, if the pudding mix were added dry to the ground nuts, and blended in, then mixed together with the butter, you would be getting the sugar, chocolate and milk solids from the pudding mix. That might just work. I wouldn't make the pudding and then add the other ingredients to it though.

I think ground hazelnuts added to a chocolate ganache, thinned with cream, would make a good Nuttela type spread.

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 12:13 PM   #15
Executive Chef

Quote:

Yes, Charlie but commercial production uses methods and ingredients which can prevent or deter spoilage.
Old 01-19-2015, 06:11 PM   #16
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Cook View Post
Yes, Charlie but commercial production uses methods and ingredients which can prevent or deter spoilage.

Exactly what I was trying to say, but as always was in too much of a hurry.

Old 01-19-2015, 07:07 PM   #17
Head Chef

Why mess with mother nature?

Just grind hazelnuts until they reach "nut butter" consistency. Add the best powdered chocolate you find, to taste.

Eat by the spoonful. Use finger to get every last bit from the contain.

Repeat.

The extra ingredients are not added for taste, they're added to make the product more shelf-stable and to greatly decrease the cost of production.

=)
Z

We are fed by a food industry which pays no attention to health, and healed by a health industry that pays no attention to food - Wendell Berry
Zereh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 06:41 AM   #18
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zereh View Post

Just grind hazelnuts until they reach "nut butter" consistency. Add the best powdered chocolate you find, to taste.

Repeat.

The extra ingredients are not added for taste, they're added to make the product more shelf-stable and to greatly decrease the cost of production.

=)
Z

What would you use in home settings to grind the nuts to that consistency ?

Old 01-20-2015, 04:08 PM   #19
Executive Chef

Quote:
What would you use in home settings to grind the nuts to that consistency ?

I grind peanuts for peanut butter in the food processor until they look the right consistence so I suppose that would do for hazelnuts.
Old 01-20-2015, 04:13 PM   #20
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zereh View Post

Repeat.

=)
Z
Or you could use melted chocolate with the ground nuts.

Although I'm not very fond of chocolate I can eat Nutella by the spoonful but the best choc & hazelnut spread used to be Green & Blacks but they got bought out and the new company discontinued it.

Tags
homemade, recipe, whipping cream, nutella

Need feedback on homemade Nutella spread I am labeling this as a recipe just to be on the safe side for this forums etiquette. What I really need is a second pair of cooking eyes to tell me if what I am considering doing really makes sense to do! I have seen many recipes for homemade Nutilla Spread online, but each of these recipes strike me as doing it the 'hard way". Here is my take on it and I'ld like some feedback. 1 Pint Whipping Cream 1 Package instant pudding (chocolate) 1 Teaspoon Oil (for softening) 2 cups Hazelnuts (toasted and ground) Hazelnut extract to taste 1/4 cup milk. Thinking behind this from my end: [LIST] [*]The whipping cream and the pudding together would produce a chocolate butter. [*]Hazelnuts and extract would give it the nut flavor. [*]The milk and cooking oil would keep the mixture to the soft side for easy spreading. [/LIST] Any thoughts, feedback, or suggestions to this line of thinking? Peter Kelley St. Paul, MN USA 3 stars 1 reviews