Need feedback on homemade Nutella spread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
off topic. I used to love sunflower oil specifically for it's strong flavor. But here in the states it is so refined it in fact has no taste or flavor or even smell for that matter. I hate it.

I've used my food processor and my nutri-bullet both to make "nut butters". Nuts have plenty of oil in them, you just have to be patient to coax it out and get them ground to the right consistency.

It takes some patience, and I'm probably over-cautious, but I don't let either of the grind like mad for the entire time. I grind for a bit and then let them rest. =P And then repeat often. It always seems like when I'm just starting to wonder if I bought a bunch of dud nuts that won't work ... it magically starts to come together.

My favorites are cashew. And sunflower seed. But every kind of nut will work.

If you're out of tahini and are hankering for some hummus, grind a couple tablespoons each of sesame + sunflower seeds in with the garbanzos, they're the perfect substitute. (I've never tried to just grind sesame seeds, I'll have to try that!)

CharlieD - I love, love La Tournagelle oils. Their walnut oil is my go-to for topping salads and it most definitely has a roasted, toasted walnut taste. I know they do a Sunflower oil, but I've not tried it; it may be worth finding.

857190000019.jpg

To Chief Longwind Of The North:

I went from the approach that I was to make a butter NOT pudding or even a whipped cream. The whipped cream/heavy cream and the pudding were whipped together with about 1/2 cup milk (plus other ingredients). (Trying to be funny: If there is a stage of whipping beyond butter I probably touched that point.) At the moment this first try is looking good with no separation being seen. It produces about 4 cups of easy to spread material.

The concern for the next making of it, later this year maybe, is that the hazelnuts are still a little to coarse for my liking. and they will needed to be milled to a flour texture. The coloration might be for some a little light but cocoa powder might adjust that.

To Zereh:

You make a excellent point!

Peter Kelley
St. Paul, MN USA

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom