"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Fruit & Nuts
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 01-16-2015, 01:50 AM   #1
Assistant Cook
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: St. Paul, MN USA
Posts: 8
Need feedback on homemade Nutella spread

I am labeling this as a recipe just to be on the safe side for this forums etiquette. What I really need is a second pair of cooking eyes to tell me if what I am considering doing really makes sense to do!

I have seen many recipes for homemade Nutilla Spread online, but each of these recipes strike me as doing it the 'hard way". Here is my take on it and I'ld like some feedback.

1 Pint Whipping Cream
1 Package instant pudding (chocolate)
1 Teaspoon Oil (for softening)
2 cups Hazelnuts (toasted and ground)
Hazelnut extract to taste
1/4 cup milk.

Thinking behind this from my end:
  • The whipping cream and the pudding together would produce a chocolate butter.
  • Hazelnuts and extract would give it the nut flavor.
  • The milk and cooking oil would keep the mixture to the soft side for easy spreading.
Any thoughts, feedback, or suggestions to this line of thinking?


Peter Kelley
St. Paul, MN USA

__________________

MstrPBK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2015, 12:04 PM   #2
Master Chef
 
Mad Cook's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: North West England
Posts: 5,134
Quote:
Originally Posted by MstrPBK View Post
I am labeling this as a recipe just to be on the safe side for this forums etiquette. What I really need is a second pair of cooking eyes to tell me if what I am considering doing really makes sense to do!

I have seen many recipes for homemade Nutilla Spread online, but each of these recipes strike me as doing it the 'hard way". Here is my take on it and I'ld like some feedback.

1 Pint Whipping Cream
1 Package instant pudding (chocolate)
1 Teaspoon Oil (for softening)
2 cups Hazelnuts (toasted and ground)
Hazelnut extract to taste
1/4 cup milk.

Thinking behind this from my end:
  • The whipping cream and the pudding together would produce a chocolate butter.
  • Hazelnuts and extract would give it the nut flavor.
  • The milk and cooking oil would keep the mixture to the soft side for easy spreading.
Any thoughts, feedback, or suggestions to this line of thinking?


Peter Kelley
St. Paul, MN USA
I haven't made your recipe but the following occur to me.

1. Whipped cream might be a problem as it probably wouldn't keep well.
2. What is the percentage of chocolate in the pudding and is it real chocolate or chocolate flavouring?
3. What sort of oil? Some oils, eg corn oil, don't have a very good "mouth feel" and you wouldn't want anything with a strong flavour unless it was hazelnut oil.
4. Would it be any cheaper than a jar of Nutella?

Don't let me put you off trying so let us know how you get on with it.
__________________

__________________
Don’t look for the light at the end of the tunnel. Stomp along and switch the bl**dy thing on yourself.
Mad Cook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2015, 01:28 PM   #3
Assistant Cook
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: St. Paul, MN USA
Posts: 8
Yes, when one whips whipping cream it does become whipped cream, BUT ...
If you whip the whipping cream further you get butter. It is the butter stage I want since butter is a 'bread spread'.

The other questions are valid and will be considered. Thank you for your thoughts.

Peter Kelley
St. Paul, MN USA
MstrPBK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2015, 08:28 PM   #4
Master Chef
 
Mad Cook's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: North West England
Posts: 5,134
Quote:
Originally Posted by MstrPBK View Post
Yes, when one whips whipping cream it does become whipped cream, BUT ...
If you whip the whipping cream further you get butter. It is the butter stage I want since butter is a 'bread spread'.

The other questions are valid and will be considered. Thank you for your thoughts.

Peter Kelley
St. Paul, MN USA
Sorry. Typo. I did mean to write whippING cream.
__________________
Don’t look for the light at the end of the tunnel. Stomp along and switch the bl**dy thing on yourself.
Mad Cook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2015, 06:48 AM   #5
Assistant Cook
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: St. Paul, MN USA
Posts: 8
For those listening in and might be novices, Whipping Cream can also be referred to as "Heavy Cream". Butter from heavy cream produces a 'white butter' to which food coloring is added to get that 'sunshine yellow' you see in store butter. This is yet another reason why I believe that producing a hazelnut spread from a butter base might be the way to go.

Personal observation: the responding poster has suggested that production price ought to be a consideration before making anything in the kitchen. IF I did that I would probably never make any new recipe at home and leave it for the major manufacturers to produce. No cooking is about experimenting and trying.

The responding poster also noted that different cooking oils do and will taste - and feel - differently on the tongue. There is a lot of truth in that statement. The same is true about different types of chocolates as well.

The responder also mentions that there is REAL chocolate and chocolate flavorings which are used in different products. That too would/will make a difference in the final kitchen production.

In summary: Some issues I will and will not be able to control. The result will be based on good and bad options found in my kitchen. Hazelnuts cost about $10 s pound (shelled/not blanched) which will be used; and Hazelnut Oil also costs about $10 per 4 ounces, with the oil not being available for this production of the mixture. The fact that Hazelnut oil exists has definitely been noted for the next time I try it. Passing note: If I was concerned about cost production the cost already for the basic ingredients comes close to $15.00 for this starting point for about what I am estimating to be about 3 cups of spread.

For this year (2015) we will be exploring nut butters/spreads, and this is the first of several varieties to be tried.

Peter Kelley
St. Paul, MN USA
MstrPBK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2015, 12:01 AM   #6
Ogress Supreme
 
PrincessFiona60's Avatar
Site Administrator
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Wyoming
Posts: 38,003
Your Faux Nutella will not be shelf stable and will require refrigeration. I would stick with ground hazelnuts and high fat cocoa, adding in food grade cocoa butter and sugar to taste.
__________________
“There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle.” - Albert Einstein
PrincessFiona60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2015, 08:07 AM   #7
Master Chef
 
CharlieD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: USA,Minnesota
Posts: 9,430
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
Your Faux Nutella will not be shelf stable and will require refrigeration. I would stick with ground hazelnuts and high fat cocoa, adding in food grade cocoa butter and sugar to taste.

+1


Sent from my iPad using Discuss Cooking
__________________
You are what you eat.
CharlieD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2015, 04:14 PM   #8
Assistant Cook
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: St. Paul, MN USA
Posts: 8
I would agree that anything from dairy would not be "shelf safe" and would need to be refrigerated. Considering where I am standing with ingredients I will keep your observations of "I would stick with ground hazelnuts and high fat cocoa, adding in food grade cocoa butter and sugar to taste." for the next attempt of this. Thank you for your input.

Peter Kelley
St. Paul, MN USA
MstrPBK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2015, 06:29 PM   #9
Everymom
 
Alix's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Edmonton, Alberta
Posts: 23,223
I think I'd start by reading the ingredient list on a Nutella jar. This is the list:

Sugar, vegetable oil, hazelnuts (13%), cocoa powder (7.4%), non-fat milk solids, emulsifier (soy lecithin), flavour (vanillin)

Toast the hazelnuts, then buzz them in the food processor with oil til you get a good smooth consistency. Then you can add the sugar and cocoa to get where you need to be. Not sure how you would add non fat milk solids...maybe skim milk powder?

__________________
You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it. Robin Williams
Alix
Alix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2015, 11:05 PM   #10
Ogress Supreme
 
PrincessFiona60's Avatar
Site Administrator
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Wyoming
Posts: 38,003
Ah, I have a jar of Almond Butter and Dark Chocolate spread. Same as the Nutella, but with almonds.
__________________
“There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle.” - Albert Einstein
PrincessFiona60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2015, 11:24 PM   #11
Certified Pretend Chef
 
Andy M.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 46,006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alix View Post
I think I'd start by reading the ingredient list on a Nutella jar. This is the list:

Sugar, vegetable oil, hazelnuts (13%), cocoa powder (7.4%), non-fat milk solids, emulsifier (soy lecithin), flavour (vanillin)

Toast the hazelnuts, then buzz them in the food processor with oil til you get a good smooth consistency. Then you can add the sugar and cocoa to get where you need to be. Not sure how you would add non fat milk solids...maybe skim milk powder?

Sounds like a plan. Try this.
__________________
"If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe." -Carl Sagan
Andy M. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 07:16 AM   #12
Master Chef
 
CharlieD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: USA,Minnesota
Posts: 9,430
Quote:
Originally Posted by MstrPBK View Post
I would agree that anything from dairy would not be "shelf safe" and would need to be refrigerated. Considering where I am standing with ingredients I will keep your observations of "I would stick with ground hazelnuts and high fat cocoa, adding in food grade cocoa butter and sugar to taste." for the next attempt of this. Thank you for your input.

Peter Kelley
St. Paul, MN USA

Well, the original Nutella does have dairy in it.


Sent from my iPad using Discuss Cooking
__________________
You are what you eat.
CharlieD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 10:42 AM   #13
Ogress Supreme
 
PrincessFiona60's Avatar
Site Administrator
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Wyoming
Posts: 38,003
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieD View Post
Well, the original Nutella does have dairy in it.


Sent from my iPad using Discuss Cooking
But as "Dried Milk Solids", not fresh dairy.
__________________
“There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle.” - Albert Einstein
PrincessFiona60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 11:23 AM   #14
Master Chef
 
Chief Longwind Of The North's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: USA,Michigan
Posts: 9,904
Though pudding has a creamy mouth feel, it contains a significant amount of water in it. A spread made from pudding would cause anything it is spread on to become watery.

That being said, if the pudding mix were added dry to the ground nuts, and blended in, then mixed together with the butter, you would be getting the sugar, chocolate and milk solids from the pudding mix. That might just work. I wouldn't make the pudding and then add the other ingredients to it though.

I think ground hazelnuts added to a chocolate ganache, thinned with cream, would make a good Nuttela type spread.

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North
__________________
“No amount of success outside the home can compensate for failure within the home…"

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- https://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 12:13 PM   #15
Master Chef
 
Mad Cook's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: North West England
Posts: 5,134
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieD View Post
Well, the original Nutella does have dairy in it.


Sent from my iPad using Discuss Cooking
Yes, Charlie but commercial production uses methods and ingredients which can prevent or deter spoilage.
__________________
Don’t look for the light at the end of the tunnel. Stomp along and switch the bl**dy thing on yourself.
Mad Cook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 06:11 PM   #16
Master Chef
 
CharlieD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: USA,Minnesota
Posts: 9,430
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Cook View Post
Yes, Charlie but commercial production uses methods and ingredients which can prevent or deter spoilage.

Exactly what I was trying to say, but as always was in too much of a hurry.


Sent from my iPad using Discuss Cooking
__________________
You are what you eat.
CharlieD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 07:07 PM   #17
Head Chef
 
Zereh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Bellevue, WA
Posts: 1,503
Why mess with mother nature?

Just grind hazelnuts until they reach "nut butter" consistency. Add the best powdered chocolate you find, to taste.

Eat by the spoonful. Use finger to get every last bit from the contain.

Repeat.

The extra ingredients are not added for taste, they're added to make the product more shelf-stable and to greatly decrease the cost of production.

=)
Z
__________________
~~
Zereh

We are fed by a food industry which pays no attention to health, and healed by a health industry that pays no attention to food - Wendell Berry
Zereh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 06:41 AM   #18
Master Chef
 
CharlieD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: USA,Minnesota
Posts: 9,430
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zereh View Post
Why mess with mother nature?

Just grind hazelnuts until they reach "nut butter" consistency. Add the best powdered chocolate you find, to taste.

Eat by the spoonful. Use finger to get every last bit from the contain.

Repeat.

The extra ingredients are not added for taste, they're added to make the product more shelf-stable and to greatly decrease the cost of production.

=)
Z

What would you use in home settings to grind the nuts to that consistency ?


Sent from my iPad using Discuss Cooking
__________________
You are what you eat.
CharlieD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 04:08 PM   #19
Master Chef
 
Mad Cook's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: North West England
Posts: 5,134
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieD View Post
What would you use in home settings to grind the nuts to that consistency ?


Sent from my iPad using Discuss Cooking
I grind peanuts for peanut butter in the food processor until they look the right consistence so I suppose that would do for hazelnuts.
__________________
Don’t look for the light at the end of the tunnel. Stomp along and switch the bl**dy thing on yourself.
Mad Cook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 04:13 PM   #20
Master Chef
 
Mad Cook's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: North West England
Posts: 5,134
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zereh View Post
Why mess with mother nature?

Just grind hazelnuts until they reach "nut butter" consistency. Add the best powdered chocolate you find, to taste.

Eat by the spoonful. Use finger to get every last bit from the contain.

Repeat.

The extra ingredients are not added for taste, they're added to make the product more shelf-stable and to greatly decrease the cost of production.

=)
Z
Or you could use melted chocolate with the ground nuts.

Although I'm not very fond of chocolate I can eat Nutella by the spoonful but the best choc & hazelnut spread used to be Green & Blacks but they got bought out and the new company discontinued it.
__________________

__________________
Don’t look for the light at the end of the tunnel. Stomp along and switch the bl**dy thing on yourself.
Mad Cook is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
homemade, recipe, whipping cream, nutella

Need feedback on homemade Nutella spread I am labeling this as a recipe just to be on the safe side for this forums etiquette. What I really need is a second pair of cooking eyes to tell me if what I am considering doing really makes sense to do! I have seen many recipes for homemade Nutilla Spread online, but each of these recipes strike me as doing it the 'hard way". Here is my take on it and I'ld like some feedback. 1 Pint Whipping Cream 1 Package instant pudding (chocolate) 1 Teaspoon Oil (for softening) 2 cups Hazelnuts (toasted and ground) Hazelnut extract to taste 1/4 cup milk. Thinking behind this from my end: [LIST] [*]The whipping cream and the pudding together would produce a chocolate butter. [*]Hazelnuts and extract would give it the nut flavor. [*]The milk and cooking oil would keep the mixture to the soft side for easy spreading. [/LIST] Any thoughts, feedback, or suggestions to this line of thinking? Peter Kelley St. Paul, MN USA 3 stars 1 reviews
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:49 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.