Newbie at nuts

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

anticuchos

Assistant Cook
Hello,

I never been much into nuts. But shopping last winter was a major pain with all the snow, slippery sidewalks, and wind blowing in my face and into my sleeves. Therefore, I plan to stock up some dry food so I would have to shop less.

Nuts came to mind. Aside from peanuts, which I never liked, I never really had other nuts. Would someone suggest some nuts with nutritrious values? And of course, cheap!

Pistacchio, almonds, walnuts, haselnuts.... I love them so much, we keep all of them in the freezer for many recipes....(especially desserts!!) I suggest buying unsalted versions so they will be much more versatile. I do like peanuts myself, but I like these other nuts even more... but if you are not a nut person I suggest also buying in small amounts of these first, and do some experiments, and see if you like them or not. Roasting them gives a very nice flavour, too...
I also love pine nuts and brazil nuts, but the prob is they are quite expensive... maybe they are something for you someday when you are converted to a nut person...
3.gif

You could also look into various types of seeds, mainly sunflower seeds (flavour really comes out when lightly toasted) and pumpkin seeds (or pepitas, which are hulled pumpkin seeds).

They make a great addition to homemade muesli (I'm more inclined to leave them untoasted for muesli) and can go great in salads.

Additionally they are cheaper than most nuts, and incredibly good for you.

Pine nuts are usually less expensive at the health food store. They also have nuts in every possible size, cut, etc. Also seeds of every type.

You could also look into various types of seeds, mainly sunflower seeds (flavour really comes out when lightly toasted) and pumpkin seeds (or pepitas, which are hulled pumpkin seeds).
You read my mind Haggis. While rarely the staple ingredient in a recipe sesame seeds and poppy seeds are wonderful, too!

I really love almonds, but pretty much like every nut I've eaten, can't say so much for every nut I've gone out with :LOL:

I love to use all sorts of nuts and seeds in salads, pastas (walnuts and cream on pasta is fantastic!), stir-fries, and in baking (heck I'll use them almost anywhere).

For more nut info:
http://www.foodsubs.com/Nuts.html

Thanks everyone. Oh, by the way, about the page suggested earlier.

Almond has 15 grams or protein!? Comparing that to other seeds, it has so much more. Is it a typo that was suppose to be 1.5 grams or is it really 15 grams!?

The closest thing to the almond is the chestnut with 6.4 grams of protein.

Back
Top Bottom