Peaches

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
today i found the sweetest nectarines in the modern western world! they go by the name of sugar tree, and are a firm, white flesh, bursting-with-juice wonder! luckily, i impulsively ate one of these babies while checking out the rest of the produce at this roadside stand, and bought four baskets (all i could afford) on the spot!! the juicy sweetness of this fruit will bring an involuntary, huge goofy smile to your face--guaranteed! god, i love virginia orchards this time of year....

all summer i have been buying peaches from local farmers markets--most supermarkets in this area were carrying very little local produce and no virginia peaches or nectarines. this week my supermarket is selling virginia peaches for 99c per pound!! kroger, you rock! i will be eating 2lbs. of peaches (or however many it takes to make my stomach hurt) every day for a whole week! i'm not much at baking but i might even try my hand at a peach cobbler or, do i dare--peach pie?....:)

this has been, bar none, the best peach season i've seen in all twelve of my years living in virginia! kicking off another week of 99c/lb. virginia grown peaches at the local grocery store! i don't ever tire of these peaches.... :):)

vitauta said:
this has been, bar none, the best peach season i've seen in all twelve of my years living in virginia! kicking off another week of 99c/lb. virginia grown peaches at the local grocery store! i don't ever tire of these peaches.... :):)

Sure, Vit. Go ahead. Rub it in.

At least the beagle is enjoying my miserable dehydrated peaches made from miserable but pretty looking fresh peaches.

Last edited:
Sure, Vit. Go ahead. Rub it in.

At least the beagle is enjoying my miserable dehydrated peaches made from miserable but pretty looking fresh peaches.

sorry dawg, didn't know you'd find me here.:) at least dawg's dog is happy about the walmart peach bonanza! after all, you DO call yourself "dawglover" don't you?:)

vitauta said:
sorry dawg, didn't know you'd find me here.:) at least dawg's dog is happy about the walmart peach bonanza! after all, you DO call yourself "dawglover" don't you?:)

That's it. I am taking my now peach loving dog to sniff out some local trees. Oh, wait, she does not have good taste in peaches...

i'm back again because my beloved virginia grown peaches are back on sale for the third week in a row! i have been happily eating my fill of this wonderful fruit since the first week in july. my conscience is beginning to bother me though. a small voice in my head had begun questioning the origin of the sale supermarket peaches--as early as last week already, in fact. the sale flyer boldly states "virginia grown peaches" are on sale for 99c lb. when i ask the produce workers if the peaches are in fact virginia grown, i get the following responses: "they s'posed to be", "that's what they tell me", and "it's what the boxes say". so i buy them, and eat them, and enjoy them, but feel guilty afterwards for buying what might be "bootleg" peaches, passing by the farmers' market stands, week after week... :(

Last edited:
Peaches are also my favorite summer fruit. I only buy from one farmer at the Union Square Greenmarket. They are waay more than .99 per pound. Even the "cheap" peaches at the Greenmarket are more than that. But these peaches are organic, no pesticides (Peaches soak it all up), and gorgeously ripe and juicy. I eat as many as possible each week, and then peel and slice the rest and freeze them for cobbler and ice cream in the winter. :)

Oh yes, and the peaches from this farmer each year win the Greenmarket Blind Taste Test with the shoppers and with the farmers.

Peaches are also my favorite summer fruit. I only buy from one farmer at the Union Square Greenmarket. They are waay more than .99 per pound. Even the "cheap" peaches at the Greenmarket are more than that. But these peaches are organic, no pesticides (Peaches soak it all up), and gorgeously ripe and juicy. I eat as many as possible each week, and then peel and slice the rest and freeze them for cobbler and ice cream in the winter. :)

Oh yes, and the peaches from this farmer each year win the Greenmarket Blind Taste Test with the shoppers and with the farmers.

that's one peachy situation you have there with greenmarket, june! btw, do you know how long before peach season is over? three, four weeks? i'm going to have some separation pangs, after this exceptionally great peach summer!:(

that's one peachy situation you have there with greenmarket, june! btw, do you know how long before peach season is over? three, four weeks? i'm going to have some separation pangs, i'm afraid, after this exceptionally great peach summer.:(

peaches galore! my farmers market go-to-guy showed up a day early because of irene coming....his peaches are a velvety dark red, nearly-black in color this time. the variety is sweet and lovely. the nectarines are just slightly lighter crimson color and taste just like juicy honey. swear. farmer guy gave me enough peaches and nectarines for ten dollars, to cover nearly 3/4 of my dining room table. they smell divine, especially as i walk by them. so i walk by them quite often. in one sitting i ate three of the fruit and almost have a stomach ache. farmer guy says only two weeks more for the peaches, "when they go mealy, that's when i step away," he says. meanwhile, i will make the most of what remains....

I like this Peach/nectarine thread. I know of the white flesh peaches you speak of, amazing. The best peach I've ever had was picked from a tree in Greece on my holidays. What a beauty

this week's peaches are rapidly disappearing from my table, where i left them to perfume the air in their vicinity. now the peaches have begun to ripen so very fast--almost, almost faster than i can eat them. two days in a row now, i've had six or more, cut up juicy fruit spilling their sweet sticky nectar into my greedy waiting mouth. i will miss this. i miss it already. i cut up an apple, also from my fruit guy, a golden delicious. need to start weaning myself from the peaches. nice apple, but i'm afraid the galas have effectively spoiled me for the delicious varieties for good. red and gold. oh well, two more weeks (?) before my peach and nectarine summer comes to an end. long enough for addiction to take hold. saturday is days away, and only one nectarine and two peaches remain....

Back
Top Bottom