"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Fruit & Nuts

Old 09-03-2014, 07:34 AM   #1
Admiral of the Texas Navy

Pecans

The new property has 4 massive (75 - 100 ft tall)pecan trees on the grounds. I've never seen so many pecans. The outer husks are still green and just beginning to split. Harvest for zone 8 is said to be September/October.

How does one go about harvesting this crop? Any tricks of the trade to share? How do you get the husks off?

The squirrels seem rather happy about the nuts too, but if they don't stop dropping them on the roof, I'm gonna need a recipe for fricassee.

Old 09-03-2014, 07:47 AM   #2
Executive Chef

I can't answer your question, but make sure you prune them trees and season them trimmings! Can't get much better smoking wood than pecan. I bet pecan fattened squirrel might be tasty.

Old 09-03-2014, 08:19 AM   #3
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by forty_caliber View Post
The new property has 4 massive (75 - 100 ft tall)pecan trees on the grounds. I've never seen so many pecans. The outer husks are still green and just beginning to split. Harvest for zone 8 is said to be September/October.

How does one go about harvesting this crop? Any tricks of the trade to share? How do you get the husks off?

The squirrels seem rather happy about the nuts too, but if they don't stop dropping them on the roof, I'm gonna need a recipe for fricassee.

Are they related to walnuts? There used to be an old English saying "A woman, a dog and a walnut tree - the more you beat 'em the better they be" I don't recommend the first two but beating the walnut tree to bring down the nuts was supposed to sort of prune it as well and encourage more sprouting. It might work with pecans.

Is it true that a Pecan tree can bear fruit for as long as 300 years? Can't remember where I read it as it was years ago.

[Incidentally, is it pee-cans (as we say it) or puca-a-rns as an American chef calls them on TV?]
Old 09-03-2014, 08:26 AM   #4
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Cook View Post
[Incidentally, is it pee-cans (as we say it) or puca-a-rns as an American chef calls them on TV?]
Six one way,1/2 a dozen the other. I call them puh caans.
Old 09-03-2014, 08:35 AM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigC View Post
Six one way,1/2 a dozen the other. I call them puh caans.
As a Bostonian, I pronounce the "a" as ah in pecan. Pa cahn How would Queen Elizabeth pronounce it?
Old 09-03-2014, 09:21 AM   #6
Admiral of the Texas Navy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
As a Bostonian, I pronounce the "a" as ah in pecan. Pa cahn How would Queen Elizabeth pronounce it?
In native Texan it is pronounced puh-caan.

Old 09-03-2014, 09:52 AM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire

There are quite a few pecan trees in my neighborhood. I don't have one, but walking around, I see pecans in the shells lying on the ground, so I think the husk just comes off when they're ready. Or maybe the husk becomes the shell as it dries. Here's an entertaining description I found: http://www.texaspecantrees.com/Harvesting_Pecans.html
Old 09-03-2014, 09:53 AM   #8
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

In this part of the country you hear it both ways, Puh-cahns, pee-cans etc..

I just call them delicious!

http://bakingbetter.com
bakechef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 11:03 AM   #9
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
To be honest, the subject has never come up in our conversations when she's popped in for a cuppa

Seriously though, as the topic has arisen, here's a picture you might find interesting. The Queen made a visit to Marple while touring the north west of England in 1968 and visited a project that I had been involved in. The girl second from the left in the hat, next to the girl in uniform, is me aged 19. I have always thought I was probably chosen to be presented because I was still at school so wouldn't lose a day's pay! The woman facing the line up is HM - not a very flattering shot. She shook my hand - I didn't wash for a week.

http://visitmarple.co.uk/photos/albu...n_visit_09.jpg

This is a better one of her on the same occasion:-

http://visitmarple.co.uk/photos/albu...n_visit_11.jpg

(Photos courtesy of the "Manchester Evening News" and the Marple Website)

My parents were watching from the bridge above the canal bank where we were lined up. According to my mother, my dad, who always professed to be an anti-monarchist, was very taken with the Queen when he saw he in the flesh.
Old 09-03-2014, 11:23 AM   #10
Head Chef

I think my grandmother used to put sheets around the tree and then they either beat on it with a stick or shook it depending on how big the tree was. The sheets made it easier to gather them up. As a kid I really didn't pay that much attention but I think I remember them talking about doing it. By the time I was old enough to pay attention to things like that, they had retired and sold the farm.

FYI though, pecan trees tend to get brittle and shed their branches, as well as fall over in wind storms. Craig's last batch of smoking wood came from my cousin-in-law's property where a tree had fallen over several months previously in a wind storm.

Tags
other, pecan, pecans