Personal Size Watermelon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
These 'melons have no taste so early in the season. But I need the fluids. But I made a discovery this morning. I had cut one in half the other day and failed to place a piece of plastic over the half I wasn't going to eat right away. Today I went to eat it and a lot of the fluid had evaporated and the top of the cut was very dry. Hmmm. It tasted like watermelon should

Like Emeril says. "Evaporation leads to concentration". I kinda thought it sounded juvenile as its apparent what evaporation does.

Why watermelon for fluid intake? Water costs much less.

I don't know why others might do that----- but it certainly tastes better than the water out of my tap. :yum: Plus there's probably other vitamins/minerals etc that a watermelon has that water doesn't, sorta a twofer.

If a person never drinks tap water and drinks only bottled water----then the costs get closer to each other.

I'm really particular about the taste of my water after having lived on ranches for decades with our own spring water. So.......

Like Emeril says. "Evaporation leads to concentration". I kinda thought it sounded juvenile as its apparent what evaporation does.

Sure it does. But it is never a bargain if you never use it. I don't like water. Never have liked water. And it has nothing to do with the taste of our water. I just don't like water. The only time I am tempted to drink water is when it is running over some rocks out in the wild and is ice cold. And I live in the city. So you know what the chances of that happening. :angel:

I went to buy a small watermelon yesterday (my first of the year) and they were all out. I was so disappointed. It is my favourite fruit of any kind. They are getting more in tomorrow.

When I worked at The Western Washington Fair with my 4-H kids, the produce trucks were pulling into the produce building. The peach truck arrived first. You could smell those peaches clear across the compound. Each time a new truck pulled in and started to unload, you could smell their fruit. Plums, apples, , etc. A little heady for a fruit lover. I did make sure I got a couple of the peaches. Juice running down my arm. I went back to the farmer with the pits. I offered to trade him two pits for two more peaches. I ended up with four more peaches and got to keep the pits. :angel:

I lived in California for a time when I was a kid and I remember when the strawberries ripened. If the window on your car was rolled down and you drove through the strawberries fields the scent was heavenly. Now half the time I buy strawberries in the grocery store they have no smell. And yes, I do stand in the middle of the produce section sticking my nose next to the strawberry tubs. Usually griping at whoever I'm with about "....driving through the strawberry fields.....strawberries are supposed to have a smell, dangit!"....yada, yada. :rolleyes:

We have a local watermelon called a Thai watermelon. It's about the size of a bowling ball. Super sweet and delicious with a very thin rind. We also have a Maui Gold Pineapple that is much smaller then the South American variety. Also exceptional.

Last edited:
I lived in California for a time when I was a kid and I remember when the strawberries ripened. If the window on your car was rolled down and you drove through the strawberries fields the scent was heavenly. Now half the time I buy strawberries in the grocery store they have no smell. And yes, I do stand in the middle of the produce section sticking my nose next to the strawberry tubs. Usually griping at whoever I'm with about "....driving through the strawberry fields.....strawberries are supposed to have a smell, dangit!"....yada, yada. :rolleyes:

I often think that as great as our transportation system is, it has done more damage to our food source than help it. We import so much of our food now, that it is picked long before it is ripe and ready to eat. As a result, all the aroma of the foods is lost. :angel:

We live in melon country here, and I still can't find personal watermelons.

In Mexico, in the summer, they sell a tiny local pineapple that's called Miel (honey), and it's absolutely fantastic. You have to get to the grocery store early when they come in, and you will find the locals all ripping the top leaves off the Miel, as they are weighed at the counter and charged accordingly. I have never had such a sweet and delicious pineapple.

Back
Top Bottom