"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Fruit & Nuts

Old 05-10-2014, 11:49 AM   #1
Chef Extraordinaire

Personal Size Watermelon

Each year as soon as they come on the market, I start buying the small personal size watermelons. Not because I am crazy about them, but to get some much needed fluids into me. I try to find one that is as close to ripe as possible. Making sure all the stripes are complete and straight and hopefully there is some yellow where it sat on the ground. A lot of time that is not possible. So I settle for the best I can find.

These 'melons have no taste so early in the season. But I need the fluids. But I made a discovery this morning. I had cut one in half the other day and failed to place a piece of plastic over the half I wasn't going to eat right away. Today I went to eat it and a lot of the fluid had evaporated and the top of the cut was very dry. Hmmm. It tasted like watermelon should. So from now on when I buy one, I will cut it in half and let both halves dry out before I start to eat it. The flavor only lasts down to where it has dried out. The only drawback to all of this.

Old 05-10-2014, 11:57 AM   #2
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
But I need the fluids.
I do too---- and I love watermelon. But you know what they say:
"Fluids in. Fluids out!"

Sigh.

Old 05-10-2014, 12:02 PM   #3
Master Chef

I'm also a big fan of watermelon!

I buy a small one or a half of one and when I get it home from the market I cut it into cubes and put it into a large Pyrex mixing bowl. I cover the bowl with a dinner plate and put it into the refrigerator. When I want a bowl of fruit I just give it a stir and each piece gets coated with juice. I like this method because I only have one sticky mess to deal with as opposed to lugging out the melon each time and carving off a chunk. I also find that I'm more apt to eat it if I don't have to go through the hassle. When the fruit is gone I pick up the big bowl and drink the last of the juice!
Old 05-10-2014, 12:40 PM   #4
Head Chef

Try adding a little salt to bring out the liquid.
Old 05-10-2014, 12:43 PM   #5
Head Chef

As a kid we always ate watermelon with salt! I kept that up until just recently when I wanted to cut back on my salt intake.
Old 05-10-2014, 01:02 PM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by salt and pepper View Post
Try adding a little salt to bring out the liquid.
Good idea. Will try it on the next 'melon.
Old 05-10-2014, 03:27 PM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
What's the point of bring out the juice with salt, unless you want watermelon juice? If you don't salt it the juice will be in the fruit that you eat and you will get all of it. Sounds to me like it would just make it messier.
Old 05-10-2014, 03:31 PM   #8
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
Sounds to me like it would just make it messier.
Persackly! The original Slurpy! Just wear your bathing suit.
Old 05-10-2014, 03:56 PM   #9
Executive Chef

We learned to do this in old Mexico. Sqweeze some lime slices on melon to bring out the flavor. Save your salt intake for Margaritas

Just saw a pic of this today. Cut melon slices into triangles. Stick a popsicle stick through the rind. Freeze. Eat. Preferably outdoors on a hot day. Run through the sprinklers to rinse off. Repeat all summer. <<< Well, they didn't Editorialize these last parts. It makes for a fun visual.
Old 05-10-2014, 04:35 PM   #10
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
Each year as soon as they come on the market, I start buying the small personal size watermelons. Not because I am crazy about them, but to get some much needed fluids into me. I try to find one that is as close to ripe as possible. Making sure all the stripes are complete and straight and hopefully there is some yellow where it sat on the ground. A lot of time that is not possible. So I settle for the best I can find.

These 'melons have no taste so early in the season. But I need the fluids. But I made a discovery this morning. I had cut one in half the other day and failed to place a piece of plastic over the half I wasn't going to eat right away. Today I went to eat it and a lot of the fluid had evaporated and the top of the cut was very dry. Hmmm. It tasted like watermelon should. So from now on when I buy one, I will cut it in half and let both halves dry out before I start to eat it. The flavor only lasts down to where it has dried out. The only drawback to all of this.
I love the idea that you can buy individual sized watermelon. The only ones we see over here are giant sized ones as big as or bigger than your head. Not a viable proposition when you are the only one who eats watermelon.

Tags
water