"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Fruit & Nuts

Old 01-27-2015, 01:18 PM   #1
Senior Cook

Question Pine nuts

I never used or taste pine nuts, what is the flavor like and what type recipe's would you use them in?

Old 01-27-2015, 01:25 PM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Pine nuts

A very mild "piney" taste. Sort of like sunflower seeds. Used often in pestos. You can toast and sprinkle them on casseroles, salads and such. They can be REALLY expensive in tiny containers at the grocery stores, if you can find them in bulk they're usually much cheaper.

Old 01-27-2015, 01:39 PM   #3
Master Chef

Mmmm....pine nuts. I love them toasted in a dry pan and sprinkled on salads. They're also good with roasted veggies, and pine nuts love pasta dishes. I love them and usually have them in the fridge - they should be refrigerated if you're not going to use them right away, so they don't go rancid.

Dawg's right, they're one of the most expensive of the nuts, but Costco has them in bulk.
Old 01-27-2015, 02:04 PM   #4
Head Chef

I'd probably store bulk quantities in freezer, with maybe a few kept in fridge. Had some go rancid once, nasty.

I've had a couple of people mention they taste like soap to them. Personally I like them.

One way we use them is for a desert, a thick chunk of FRESH mozzarella, pressed down into pine nuts so they coat 1 side, sautéed in butter over med-high, pine nut side down, until cheese is just barely starting to melt then pour in about 1/4 cup of Amaretto per slice and let reduce a bit over med-low to low until you've got a syrupy sauce.
Old 01-27-2015, 02:09 PM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire

I love pine nuts! To me, they have a mild, buttery flavor; toasting them in a dry skillet brings out a nuttiness and makes the texture a bit more crunchy.

After toasting, I sprinkle them on couscous dishes, rice pilaf and sometimes salad. They're essential in homemade pesto. I also keep them in the freezer and buy them in bulk at BJ's.
Old 01-27-2015, 02:17 PM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire

I used to love pine nuts, but I am now deathly allergic to them--fewer than three will kill me (or put me in a coma...). I can't remember the taste...but I seem to recall they were kind of buttery...although a common choice for pesto, I can make a darned good pesto with roasted hazelnuts, toasted almonds, or cashews. I've used roasted walnuts. I've even used peanuts. If you can't eat pine nuts, this doesn't mean you can't make a decent pesto.
Old 01-27-2015, 02:44 PM   #7
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by callmaker60 View Post
I never used or taste pine nuts, what is the flavor like and what type recipe's would you use them in?
Flavor is Divine.

Recipe - Pesto.
Old 01-27-2015, 03:11 PM   #8
Master Chef

I agree with the mild, buttery flavor description - that's a good way to put it. They don't last long around here, I toast up a skillet of them pretty often and snack on them in front of the TV. Kind of a sub for potato chips when I want something crunchy, and much healthier.
Old 01-27-2015, 03:15 PM   #9
Senior Cook

Thanks folks, I have priced them, and they are expensive, but you folks gave me some good ideas.
Old 01-27-2015, 03:46 PM   #10
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post
A very mild "piney" taste. Sort of like sunflower seeds. Used often in pestos. You can toast and sprinkle them on casseroles, salads and such. They can be REALLY expensive in tiny containers at the grocery stores, if you can find them in bulk they're usually much cheaper.
They only have a short to medium shelf life so make lots of things with them.

Nice toasted and tossed in a shredded raw carrot salad

Pesto - as everyone says.

Just to nibble

Nice in cakes (Google for recipeS)

Tags
nuts