Pine nuts

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
A very mild "piney" taste. Sort of like sunflower seeds. Used often in pestos. You can toast and sprinkle them on casseroles, salads and such. They can be REALLY expensive in tiny containers at the grocery stores, if you can find them in bulk they're usually much cheaper.

Last edited:
Mmmm....pine nuts. I love them toasted in a dry pan and sprinkled on salads. They're also good with roasted veggies, and pine nuts love pasta dishes. I love them and usually have them in the fridge - they should be refrigerated if you're not going to use them right away, so they don't go rancid.

Dawg's right, they're one of the most expensive of the nuts, but Costco has them in bulk.

I'd probably store bulk quantities in freezer, with maybe a few kept in fridge. Had some go rancid once, nasty.

I've had a couple of people mention they taste like soap to them. Personally I like them.

One way we use them is for a desert, a thick chunk of FRESH mozzarella, pressed down into pine nuts so they coat 1 side, sautéed in butter over med-high, pine nut side down, until cheese is just barely starting to melt then pour in about 1/4 cup of Amaretto per slice and let reduce a bit over med-low to low until you've got a syrupy sauce.

Last edited:
I love pine nuts! To me, they have a mild, buttery flavor; toasting them in a dry skillet brings out a nuttiness and makes the texture a bit more crunchy.

After toasting, I sprinkle them on couscous dishes, rice pilaf and sometimes salad. They're essential in homemade pesto. I also keep them in the freezer and buy them in bulk at BJ's.

Last edited:
I used to love pine nuts, but I am now deathly allergic to them--fewer than three will kill me (or put me in a coma...). I can't remember the taste...but I seem to recall they were kind of buttery...although a common choice for pesto, I can make a darned good pesto with roasted hazelnuts, toasted almonds, or cashews. I've used roasted walnuts. I've even used peanuts. If you can't eat pine nuts, this doesn't mean you can't make a decent pesto.

Last edited:
I agree with the mild, buttery flavor description - that's a good way to put it. They don't last long around here, I toast up a skillet of them pretty often and snack on them in front of the TV. :yum: Kind of a sub for potato chips when I want something crunchy, and much healthier.

A very mild "piney" taste. Sort of like sunflower seeds. Used often in pestos. You can toast and sprinkle them on casseroles, salads and such. They can be REALLY expensive in tiny containers at the grocery stores, if you can find them in bulk they're usually much cheaper.
They only have a short to medium shelf life so make lots of things with them.

Nice toasted and tossed in a shredded raw carrot salad

Pesto - as everyone says.

Just to nibble

Nice in cakes (Google for recipeS)

+1 on the Pesto and in CousCous dishes .

In addition, I once had them in a restaurant, where they mixed it into a polenta, then topped the polenta off with some creamy goat cheese. It was a great textural thing.

We were on the island of Rhodes on a tour, and saw our guide picking up things under some pine trees. Being basically curious, I asked what she was doing. She told me she was picking up pine nuts!
Well I grabbed some, and with a flat rock and my trusty Swiss Army knife, I cracked them open!
The picture is Kayelle standing under the pine trees.

Attachments

• Picture 175.jpg
    Picture 175.jpg
    136.5 KB · Views: 269
But, but, you look just like your avatar, Kay! You mean that's not you?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom