Pumpkin Seeds

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jusnikki

Head Chef
Didn't know quite where to ask this question..

But Does anybody have a certain way to prepare pumpkin seeds?

If you haven't had them you're really missing a treat.

What do you mean "prepare"?

I just throw them onto the hot pan and crisp them up. If I feel like I sprinkle the with some sweet water to add sweetness. You can do the same thing with salt.

What do you mean "prepare"?

I just throw them onto the hot pan and crisp them up. If I feel like I sprinkle the with some sweet water to add sweetness. You can do the same thing with salt.

Meaning how do you cook them..lolol.

I've only done them twice and both times I roasted them but it wasn't the same. So you fry yours??

Sprinkle with salt and oven on low temp to dry, but I've been known to simply toss them into my locker in my school daze and let them dry on their own. It's been a while.
If I were to have a suddden craving for seeds today I'd go buy a packet of already seeded sunflower seeds.

Sprinkle with salt and oven on low temp to dry, but I've been known to simply toss them into my locker in my school daze and let them dry on their own. It's been a while.
If I were to have a suddden craving for seeds today I'd go buy a packet of already seeded sunflower seeds.

Sunflower seeds aren't the same. Everybody I know that eats sunflower seeds seem to be obsessed with them. I don't get it....:huh:.

Didn't know quite where to ask this question..

But Does anybody have a certain way to prepare pumpkin seeds?

If you haven't had them you're really missing a treat.

Don't know how I managed it. Ok, I do know. Pure laziness :angel: I have pumpkin plants growing in one of my flower borders. See what happens when the bottom drops out?
I left a few seeds out all winter, they sprouted on their own. Doubt I'll get anything past the flower stage. But we'll see.
Here's a link It's for dehydrating the seeds. I don't think it would hurt if you baked them in the oven at a low temp. They are pretty tasty. Seasonings can vary.
http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f149/best-dehydrator-recipes-63316.html

Have fun! :)
Munky.

Don't know how I managed it. Ok, I do know. Pure laziness :angel: I have pumpkin plants growing in one of my flower borders. See what happens when the bottom drops out?
I left a few seeds out all winter, they sprouted on their own. Doubt I'll get anything past the flower stage. But we'll see.
Here's a link It's for dehydrating the seeds. I don't think it would hurt if you baked them in the oven at a low temp. They are pretty tasty. Seasonings can vary.
http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f149/best-dehydrator-recipes-63316.html

Have fun! :)
Munky.

Thanks for posting the link..

But I don't have a dehydrator. Although I'd love one for fruit. But I simply don't have a spot in my kitchen for another appliance or gadget...:(. My sister that has passed on had one. When you walked in her kitchen you could smell the fruit she was drying out...

Thanks for posting the link..

But I don't have a dehydrator. Although I'd love one for fruit. But I simply don't have a spot in my kitchen for another appliance or gadget...:(. My sister that has passed on had one. When you walked in her kitchen you could smell the fruit she was drying out...

Your welcome.
The seeds don't necessarily have to be dehydrated. That link has a recipe for seasoning the seeds or nuts before they are baked, dehydrated.

Munky.

I usually rinse and clean the seeds. while still damp, i lightly salt. the salt kinda dissolves on the wet seeds. Then I spread them ( single layer) on a baking sheet and bake at a low temp ( about 300 + or - ). Occasionally I use a spatula to keep them from sticking to the bottom, spread them out a little, and allow the moisture to evaporate. Got to watch them carefully, because if left unattended at the wrong time, they can burn quickly. ( somtimes Ill spray them with pam too, which speeds up the process, but also gives you a shorter window for them to burn.

larry

See Nikki, what'd I say? Salt and bake at a low temp ;)
They'll come out just fine.

To take this to another level, I was at this burrito place in Maine, and they served a " pumpkin seed pesto Quesadilla" which was crazy good. I never would have thought of making a pesto out of pumpkin seeds, and it worked so well with the beans, cheese ....

Okay--my problem with pumpkin seeds is the white hull. I want the center...I did see in one of my seed catalogs there is a type of pumpkin that doesn't produce seeds with the hull. I am going to order some of those for next year.

Sunflower seeds that one eats come from confection sunflower plants. The solid black sunflower seeds are oil seeds. They tend to be smaller. Most farmers plant oil seeds (I once worked for a seed factory that specialized in sunflower seeds and lived next door to a place that roasted sunflowers--learned more about sunflowers than I ever thought I needed to know). To get the salt fine, you can grind it in a coffee or spice grinder.

Many a friend quit smoking eating sunflower seeds.

To take this to another level, I was at this burrito place in Maine, and they served a " pumpkin seed pesto Quesadilla" which was crazy good. I never would have thought of making a pesto out of pumpkin seeds, and it worked so well with the beans, cheese ....

I can almost taste that. It does sound good.

I always roasted the seeds after carving Jack O Lanterns. In the oven, lightly salted.

Mexico uses a lot of pepitas, sometimes in moles.

Pepitas are the inside of the hull--and a pain to shell. I believe there is a tool that helps, but I thought I'd go with the hull-less pumpkin strain next year.

You can buy them shell-less in Mexico. Hmmmm. May have to bring some back next time we go down. And I totally forgot about the ethnic store sections here.

Will have to check out your seedless variety, CW!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom