"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Fruit & Nuts

Old 07-18-2007, 07:57 PM   #11
Executive Chef

You can Google (toxic food for pets) and find a host of sites for cats,dogs etc very informative includes house plants etc.

Old 07-19-2007, 11:54 AM   #12
Master Chef

My dogs love garlic. I have put garlic powder in their homemade treats! Is this bad?

The beagle (aka Oscar) also loves Heineken beer. The wiener dog (aka Felix) loves white wine. They go crazy at the smell and sometimes are given a very, very small taste.

Old 07-19-2007, 12:30 PM   #13
Head Chef

Send a message via AIM to keltin
Quote:
Originally Posted by jennyema
My dogs love garlic. I have put garlic powder in their homemade treats! Is this bad?

The beagle (aka Oscar) also loves Heineken beer. The wiener dog (aka Felix) loves white wine. They go crazy at the smell and sometimes are given a very, very small taste.
My DH read somewhere that garlic helps reduce fleas, so we used to always put garlic on our dog’s treats. I’ve never had a problem, but now I’m wondering too.

We also give them parsley because DH also read it was good for their breath!

As for the alcohol, I was reading the troubles it can cause to your dog: “Intoxication, Coma, and Death”. I laughed and told my DH those are the same things it can do to me!
Old 07-19-2007, 02:45 PM   #14
Everymom

My sister's cocker spaniel once climbed onto the counter and ate an entire pan of cinnamon buns. She did however, spit out every single raisin in the batch all over the floor. Smart dog.
Old 07-19-2007, 03:53 PM   #15
DC's Angel

Old 07-19-2007, 04:22 PM   #16
Chef Extraordinaire

I didn't see powdered sugar or donuts on the list. You go, Ol Blue!
Old 07-19-2007, 05:55 PM   #17
Executive Chef

That is the saddest look on your dog he just knows he aint getting any donuts. Maybe you did give him a bite if not thats the worst case of animal abuse Ive seen.
Old 07-19-2007, 06:31 PM   #18
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Yahoo to middie
My DH read somewhere that garlic helps reduce fleas, so we used to always put garlic on our dog’s treats. I’ve never had a problem, but now I’m wondering too

Use Brewer's Yeast instead. My in-laws swear by it. It must work because I've never seen a flea on their dogs for almost 12 years now.
Old 07-19-2007, 08:13 PM   #19
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by fireweaver
i am a vet, and let me tell you, this isn't something that really came up in school (and yes, we have a whole class on toxic things...like antifreeze & snail bait). the raisin tox thing is real but very screwy: absolutely impossible to predict which dogs are sensitive and which aren't, or how many raisins will harm a sensitive dog, or what chemical compounds are in these items that are responsible for the toxicity. plenty of us (myself included) can come up with a tale of our personal dogs hoovering huge quantities of rasins or grapes with no ill effect...but the stories of rasin toxicity often involve a very small quantity. in much the same way, macadamia nuts also have a poorly-understood and quirky tox issue.

while we're on the subject, AVOID raw or cooked onions (that one did come up in class) and go sparingly with the garlic for our canine friends. this website has a pretty comprehensive list of potential problem foods.
I appreciate the information. I had read that grapes were poisonous to dogs, but thankfully, our little mutt, Chloe, seems to be immune to most things. When our son was still here, he and his friends fed Chloe all sorts of things that are bad for dogs...grapes, pizza, Burritoes, etc.
It's just the two of us now, and she is an older dog. But she still likes a little raw meat or a pizza crust for a treat.

I almost lost another dog by feeding her chocolate. I had no idea, but the poor thing was really sick for a while.

Old 07-19-2007, 09:18 PM   #20
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Constance
I appreciate the information. I had read that grapes were poisonous to dogs, but thankfully, our little mutt, Chloe, seems to be immune to most things. When our son was still here, he and his friends fed Chloe all sorts of things that are bad for dogs...grapes, pizza, Burritoes, etc.
It's just the two of us now, and she is an older dog. But she still likes a little raw meat or a pizza crust for a treat.

I almost lost another dog by feeding her chocolate. I had no idea, but the poor thing was really sick for a while.

Constance,Raw meat will make dogs thrive a piece of pizza crust is ok.Dogs do raw meat well, especially if its game meat so dont worry.My dogs beg big time when I am cooking Bison or Whitetail venison I dont let processors add alot of pork fat which most people do then it becomes not much better than store bought health wise. If If I need fat I will add a some olive oil
Dont get me wrong I love a greasy hamburger as much as the next guy.But this is what we eat for the most part.The processors alway freak out when I ask them to put in less than 10 percent fat or none at all.

Tags
None