"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Fruit & Nuts
Click Here to Login
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-18-2007, 03:51 PM   #1
Chef Extraordinaire
mudbug's Avatar
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: NoVA, beyond the Beltway
Posts: 11,166
Raisins are a danger to dogs

got this via email:

This week I had the first case in history of raisin toxicity ever see n at
MedVet. My patient was a 56-pound, 5 yr old male neutered lab mix that ate
half a canister of raisins sometime between 7:30 AM and 4:30 PM on Tuesday.
He started with vomiting, diarrhea and shaking about 1AM on Wednesday but
the owner didn't call my emergency service until 7AM.

I had heard somewhere about raisins AND grapes causing acute Renal failure
but hadn't seen any formal paper on the subject. We had her bring the dog in
immediately. In the meantime, I called the ER service at MedVet, and the
doctor there was like me - had heard something about it, but.... Anyway,
we contacted the ASPCA National Animal Poison Control Center and they said
to give IV fluids at 1 ˝ times maintenance and watch the kidney values for
the next 48-72 hours.

The dog's BUN (blood urea nitrogen level) was already at 32 (normal less
than 27) and creatinine over 5 (1.9 is the high end of normal). Both are
monitors of kidney
function in the bloodstream. We placed an IV catheter and started th e
fluids. Rechecked the renal values at 5 PM and the BUN was over 40 and
creatinine over 7 with no urine production after a liter of fluids. At the
point I felt the dog was in acute renal failure and sent him on to MedVet
for a urinary catheter to monitor urine output overnight as well as
overnight care.

He started vomiting again overnight at MedVet and his renal values have
continued to increase daily. He produced urine when given lasix as a
diuretic. He was on 3 different anti-vomiting medications and they still
couldn't control his vomiting. Today his urine output decreased again, his
BUN was over 120, his creatinine was at 10, his phosphorus was very elevated
and his blood pressure, which had been staying around 150, skyrocketed to
220.. He continued to vomit and the owners elected to

This is a very sad case - great dog, great owners who had no idea raisins
could be a toxin. Please alert everyone you know who has a dog of this very
serious risk. Poison control said as few as 7 raisins or grapes could be
toxic. Many people I know give their dogs grapes or raisins as treats
including our ex-handler's. Any exposure should give rise to immediate


Kool Aid - Think before you drink.
mudbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 03:59 PM   #2
Head Chef
keltin's Avatar
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Down South in Alabama
Posts: 2,285
Send a message via AIM to keltin
I thought for sure this was going to be an Urban Legend. But it’s not:

Grapes and Raisins are toxic to dogs.

I would have never imagined this to happen. Wow.

keltin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 04:01 PM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire
mudbug's Avatar
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: NoVA, beyond the Beltway
Posts: 11,166
Me neither, keltin. Good thing we never got into the habit of giving our doggies "people" food (ice cubes don't count, right?)
Kool Aid - Think before you drink.
mudbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 04:04 PM   #4
Master Chef
jennyema's Avatar
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Boston
Posts: 9,633
That is an old email that has been circulating on the internet forever. It may or may not be real.

But it's true. Vets have known about this since the 1980's. My vet has a sign up in her office about it.

Both raisins and grapes are extremely toxic to dogs -- even small amounts like a box of raisins can be fatal.

Less is not more. More is more and more is fabulous.
jennyema is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 04:06 PM   #5
Executive Chef
redkitty's Avatar
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: San Francisco
Posts: 3,200
I'm so sorry to hear this awful story, they must be heart broken.

Yup, my vet told me a couple grapes was fine, but they are toxic for dogs. I don't give her any now.

Guess what my dogs name is?............Raisin! (no, I'm not kidding)
Accentuate the positives, medicate the negatives ~ Amy Sedaris
redkitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 05:35 PM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire
pacanis's Avatar
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: NW PA
Posts: 18,751
Originally Posted by redkitty
Yup, my vet told me a couple grapes was fine,....
I'm surprised your vet would say this since it only takes a couple of grapes for some dogs to die. It all depends on the particular pet. Just like some people it only takes one bee sting, but another who has allegic reactions to bees it may take several.
I'm glad you aren't chancing it with Raisin
pacanis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 05:40 PM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire
middie's Avatar
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Cleveland,Ohio USA
Posts: 16,263
Send a message via Yahoo to middie
I didn't have any idea about that. Wow. Glad I never gave Rocky more than 3 grapes.
middie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 06:00 PM   #8
Senior Cook
fireweaver's Avatar
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: the d.c. 'burbs
Posts: 265
Send a message via Yahoo to fireweaver
i am a vet, and let me tell you, this isn't something that really came up in school (and yes, we have a whole class on toxic things...like antifreeze & snail bait). the raisin tox thing is real but very screwy: absolutely impossible to predict which dogs are sensitive and which aren't, or how many raisins will harm a sensitive dog, or what chemical compounds are in these items that are responsible for the toxicity. plenty of us (myself included) can come up with a tale of our personal dogs hoovering huge quantities of rasins or grapes with no ill effect...but the stories of rasin toxicity often involve a very small quantity. in much the same way, macadamia nuts also have a poorly-understood and quirky tox issue.

while we're on the subject, AVOID raw or cooked onions (that one did come up in class) and go sparingly with the garlic for our canine friends. this website has a pretty comprehensive list of potential problem foods.
I love cooking with wine...sometimes I even put it in the food... fireweaver.wordpress.com
fireweaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 06:42 PM   #9
Executive Chef
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Raton,NM, USA
Posts: 4,572
I used to give my dogs grapes once in a while untill I learned how bad they were I was lucky.Include in the list besides garlic onions,chocolate,macadamia nuts there are more but I will need to look it up.
jpmcgrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 06:47 PM   #10
Executive Chef
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Raton,NM, USA
Posts: 4,572
Here we go it does not include house plants and other items
Foods Potentially Poisonous to Pets

#image-details-27302488 /* HSUS Image Details CSS Document */.imagePhotocredit { font-family: Verdana, Arial; font-size: 9px; color: #666666; } #image-details-27302488 .imageCopyright { font-family: Verdana, Arial; font-size: 9px; color: #666666; } #image-details-27302488 .imageCaption { font-family: Verdana, Arial; font-size: 10px; }
The following foods may be dangerous to your pet:
  • Alcoholic beverages
  • Apple seeds
  • Apricot pits
  • Avocados—toxic to birds, mice, rabbits, horses, cattle, and dairy goats
  • Cherry pits
  • Candy (particularly chocolate, which is toxic to dogs, cats, and ferrets, and any candy containing the sweetener Xylitol)
  • Coffee (grounds, beans, chocolate covered espresso beans)
  • Grapes
  • Hops (used in home beer brewing)
  • Macadamia nuts
  • Moldy foods
  • Mushroom plants
  • Mustard seeds
  • Onions and onion powder
  • Peach pits
  • Potato leaves and stems (green parts)
  • Raisins
  • Rhubarb leaves
  • Salt
  • Tea (caffeine)
  • Tomato leaves and stems (green parts)
  • Walnuts
  • Yeast dough

jpmcgrew is offline   Reply With Quote


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

» Discuss Cooking on Facebook

Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities

Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:52 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.