"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Fruit & Nuts
Old 05-29-2006, 02:04 PM   #11
Executive Chef
The recipe that Dollop posted is what I was going to suggest. It is delicious!

amber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2006, 04:47 PM   #12
Senior Cook
Lucky you! A whole qt of raspberry jam. It will keep in the refrig for months.
Mix it in milk and ice cream for a shake. There are so many recipes to use berry jams that can be subbed for each other. How about a raspberry margarita? A frozen raspberry daiquiri? Sounds like a summer pleaser to me.

Swann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2006, 05:08 PM   #13
Executive Chef
First thing that came to mind - thumbprint cookies. Sandwich cookies, made with sugar cookie dough and the raspberry jam in the center. A salmon dish with a raspberry sauce. Mix it with some cream cheese and use as a spread on bagels.
mish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2006, 10:46 PM   #14
Master Chef
Dear Raspberrie preserves affecionados!!

"Sposiba" (Russian for " Many thanks") for all of your suggestions/recipes for what do with my wonderful gift that I don't want to see a penicillin strain eventually breed on. What great ideas-------even googled on what a linzer torte was and a monte christo sandwich---yum!!! And Goodweed of the North you take the prize for most ideas----again many thanks again to all of your postings. I definitely will try them and let you know how it goes.
expatgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2006, 10:16 AM   #15
Executive Chef
Send a message via AIM to Piccolina Send a message via MSN to Piccolina Send a message via Yahoo to Piccolina
I love raspberries, yum-yum (feel free to send some of the excess preserves my way ). One idea is to blend the preserves with fresh fruit and use it between your layers of sponge/cake in a trifle. Another is to place as much as you like in a tortilla wrap with some plain cream cheese, roll the wrap with the ends tucked in and gentle cook in a frying pan with a little butter or Pam spray until the outside is just lightly bronwed (only flip once, or you risk having the very runny filling leak out). Sprinkle with a little cocoa powder or icing sugar and serve warm.

"The most indispensable ingredient of all good home cooking: love, for those you are cooking for" ~ Sophia Loren
Piccolina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2006, 11:39 AM   #16
Master Chef
First of all if it is properly made preserve it's not going bad anytime soon. I have some in the cupboard for 3-4 years now.
Now as far as use, leave it alone and don't use it until you, G-d forbid, get sick, well maybe like a cold or a flue. Then make it full bodied hot tea using just preserve, no sugar or actual teas added. Get into bed under the blanket drink a big cup of it, you will feel 100 times better in the morning. Big time fewer reducers, no need for Tylenol. That is pretty much the only reason I keep that preserve away from kids, otherwise it would long gone. Raspberry has an amassing healing power.
You are what you eat.
CharlieD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2006, 11:45 AM   #17
Master Chef
Just now saw your response, are in Russia, is it why you use Russian for thank you? Oh, by the way, it is Spasibo, but that is minor detail.
Well, if in fact you are in Russia and have been given Russian made preserve its good for ever and it is the best in the cold Russian winter for colds. Save it.
You are what you eat.
CharlieD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2006, 11:54 AM   #18
Executive Chef
Another thought - blintzes - cottage cheese, egg, and raspberries - or cheese and a raspberry topping with sour cream. YUM!
mish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2006, 12:54 PM   #19
Assistant Cook
Raspberry preserves uses

Hello Expatgirl:
this is bigjim, I think if you and your husband don`t eat jams and jellies that
much, what I would do is put half of it in a freezer container and put it in the
freezer. Then I would break out my blender, drop in a banana, egg, about
2 cups full of ice cream, a touch of cinnamon, and filler up on the milk. Makes
a great shake to get you going in the morning. its quick and easy. And its
one of my favorite ice cream topping. I have a weeny dog buster that just
loves it. It also goes good if you add some to your BBq sauces or meatloaf.
that it for me. take care and god bless. enjoy your problem.....
I eat to live so I can live to eat
BigJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2006, 04:59 PM   #20
Head Chef
Raspberry-Oatmeal Bars

The recipe calls for seedless jam, but I'm not sure if it would make a difference or not.

1 package 2-layer-size yellow or white cake mix
2 1/2 cups quick-cooking rolled oats
3/4 cup butter, melted
1 12oz. jar raspberry jam, seeless
1 T. water

Grease a 13x9x2 inch baking pan and set aside.

In a very large bowl, stir together cake mix and the rolled oats; stir in melted butter until mixture is crumbly. Press 1/2 of the crumb mixture evenly into the prepared pan. In a small bowl, comine the jam or preserves and the water. Spread the jam over crust to sithin 1/2 inch of the edges. Sprinkle the remaining crumb mixture evenly over the top. Bake at 375 for 20 minutes to 25 minutes until golden brown. Cool on wire rack and cut into bars.

Go Sooners
abjcooking is offline   Reply With Quote