I think this sounds fantastic! I'd safely say that you can use any sort of almond here, the recipe simply calls for Californian. Wouldn't this just hit the spot as the temps keep dropping every day
Almond and Garlic Soup with Parmesan Crisps
- 2 x 15ml/2tbsp olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and crushed
- 1 medium onion, peeled and chopped finely
- 10 strands saffron
- 1.2lts/2pts good chicken stock
- 7.5ml/1 ˝ tsp ground cumin
- 100g/4oz Californian ground Almonds
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 5ml/1tsp finely chopped parsley
- 50g/2oz Parmesan cheese, grated coarsely
- 25g/1oz Californian flaked Almonds
- 4 x 15ml/4tbsp Greek yoghurt
- In a large saucepan heat the oil. Sauté the garlic and onion for 2-3 minutes without browning.
- Add the saffron, chicken stock and cumin. Bring to the boil then simmer. Stir in the Californian ground Almonds. Season to taste and add the parsley.
- Carefully pour into a blender or liquidiser if a smooth soup is require, then reheat.
- Meanwhile, mix together the Parmesan cheese and flaked almonds. Place eight even piles of cheese onto a greased baking tray. Cook under a pre-heated grill for 2-3 minutes or until golden brown.
- Serve the soup piping hot with the Parmesan crisps and yogurt as illustrated.