"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Fruit & Nuts

Old 07-13-2011, 02:21 AM   #1
Master Chef

Rhubarb (help please!)

Hi guys :)
This is probably an ingredient that most of you know well, we don't see rhubarb often in SA or Botswana. I found some at our Spar but I must confess I have never eaten or cooked it! I would like to buy some and try it. I've only really seen it used to make rhubarb compote with custard and rhubarb crumble.
Any ideas? I would like a recipe that will make me appreciate it, just something tasty and simple. I will try other things once I know what the flavour is like :)

"I hear voices and they don't like you "
Snip 13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 05:55 AM   #2
Head Chef

rhubarb makes good jam or jelly

Old 07-13-2011, 06:34 AM   #3
Executive Chef

You can make rhubarb pie and rhubarb sauce to go over pancakes. It's pretty tart, but not as extremely sour as say, a lemon. It's not going to make your face pucker. I haven't had it by itself in a long time but it reminded me of sour celery when I was a kid. I know it complements various fruits extremely well. I did a quick search online and found this page http://www.rhubarbinfo.com/ that has a bunch of information about rhubarb and rhubarb recipes for pies, muffins, breads, various main dishes, soups, pickles and a bunch of other stuff. It might give you some ideas. The header of the recipe section says there are currently 300 recipes in the collection. Let us know what you come up with and how it turned out. I'm thinking if I see rhubarb in the produce section I might have to pick some up now.
Old 07-13-2011, 06:57 AM   #4
Executive Chef

Rhubarb has grown to be my favorite ingredient for fruit-like pies and syrup. But then, I like tart things in general. A fresh stalk, wiped dry and cut into chunks will freeze very well.
Old 07-13-2011, 07:14 AM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire

I have played with rhubarb in a savory dish. I don't have the links, but if you click on my name and then look for posts by me, I think the rhubarb posts werein the "I dreamt/I made" thread.
Old 07-13-2011, 09:23 AM   #6
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by purple.alien.giraffe View Post
You can make rhubarb pie and rhubarb sauce to go over pancakes. It's pretty tart, but not as extremely sour as say, a lemon. It's not going to make your face pucker. I haven't had it by itself in a long time but it reminded me of sour celery when I was a kid. I know it complements various fruits extremely well. I did a quick search online and found this page http://www.rhubarbinfo.com/ that has a bunch of information about rhubarb and rhubarb recipes for pies, muffins, breads, various main dishes, soups, pickles and a bunch of other stuff. It might give you some ideas. The header of the recipe section says there are currently 300 recipes in the collection. Let us know what you come up with and how it turned out. I'm thinking if I see rhubarb in the produce section I might have to pick some up now.
Thanks :) I won't mind the tartness, I eat lemons like apples..lol!

Old 07-13-2011, 09:35 AM   #7
Master Chef

Thank you for all the ideas! I think I'll start with the rhubarb bread pudding I found on the link Purple Alien sent me and then go from there. I want to start with something that doesn't hide the flavour, see if I like it first :)

Old 07-13-2011, 09:57 AM   #8
Senior Cook

Maple Roasted Rhubarb with Ricotta Bruschetta

Maple Roasted Rhubarb with Ricotta Bruschetta
By Gabe Thompson, Executive Chef Anfora, L'Artusi, dell'Anima - New York City

This recipe was sent to my website from Canada Maple Syrup. It sounds great. The only way I have eaten rhubarb is my grandmothers pies. I have not tried this yet but it is on the top of my list.
  • 1/2 pound rhubarb
  • 1/3 cup pure maple syrup from Canada
  • 1 teaspoon lemon zest
  • Juice of 1 lemon
  • 1 teaspoon orange zest
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 2 cups ricotta
  • Baguette
  • Olive oil

Preheat oven to 350F.

Dice rhubarb into small cubes and toss with maple syrup. Add orange zest, 1 teaspoon lemon zest, juice of one lemon, and one teaspoon salt. Place mixture in a shallow baking dish and cover. Bake for thirty minutes. Let cool to room temperature.

Slice baguette into about 12 slices and toast slices. Place generous portion of ricotta on baguette and top with rhubarb mixture. Top with olive oil drizzle.

Old 07-13-2011, 11:09 AM   #9
Master Chef

[QUOTE=recipedirect;1022908]Maple Roasted Rhubarb with Ricotta Bruschetta
By Gabe Thompson, Executive Chef Anfora, L'Artusi, dell'Anima - New York City

This recipe was sent to my website from Canada Maple Syrup. It sounds great. The only way I have eaten rhubarb is my grandmothers pies. I have not tried this yet but it is on the top of my list.
  • 1/2 pound rhubarb
  • 1/3 cup pure maple syrup from Canada
  • 1 teaspoon lemon zest
  • Juice of 1 lemon
  • 1 teaspoon orange zest
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 2 cups ricotta
  • Baguette
  • Olive oil

Preheat oven to 350F.

Dice rhubarb into small cubes and toss with maple syrup. Add orange zest, 1 teaspoon lemon zest, juice of one lemon, and one teaspoon salt. Place mixture in a shallow baking dish and cover. Bake for thirty minutes. Let cool to room temperature.

Slice baguette into about 12 slices and toast slices. Place generous portion of ricotta on baguette and top with rhubarb mixture. Top with olive oil drizzle.

Yum yum double yum!

Old 07-26-2011, 10:42 AM   #10
Executive Chef

So what did you end up trying and how did it turn out?

Tags
None