"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Fruit & Nuts
Old 07-27-2006, 02:32 AM   #1
Head Chef
Rose Apple for DaCook

DaCook, here's a picture of this fruit. It's called Chompooh locally and Rose Apple in the supermarket labels. Apparently its official name in the books is Java Apple. To give you an idea of it's size, it's height is the same as that of a regular apple.

The texture when you bite into it is almost like that of an apple too, but the meat is less dense and more watery with a sweetish taste. Overall a very refreshing fruit to munch on.

This is also available in the Philippines (called Macopa) but I don't know anyone who would actually buy it to eat it. That's because macopa in the Philippines has asolutely no sweet taste, just a watery even slightly sour taste. Maybe if one had a macopa tree one would eat the fruit to avoid waste.

The Thai rose apple is definitely much better tasting and is actually a popular fruit.

'Never eat more than you can lift.' - Miss Piggy
Chopstix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2006, 09:49 AM   #2
Head Chef
I had a rose apple for the first time ever this year! We bought a whole bunch of fruit we had never tried from a Chinese supermarket. Rose apple was one of the nicer ones! I think Chopstix description...more watery than an apple and slightly sweet, is pretty accurate.

It was ok and I am glad I tried it, but probably would not buy one again.

lulu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2006, 01:20 PM   #3
Executive Chef
Send a message via AIM to Piccolina Send a message via MSN to Piccolina Send a message via Yahoo to Piccolina
Those look lovely, I'll have to keep my eyes pealed next time I'm at a large Asian market, as I really like bringing home new fruits for DH & I to try. Thank-you for the info and picture link, Chopstix

"The most indispensable ingredient of all good home cooking: love, for those you are cooking for" ~ Sophia Loren
Piccolina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2006, 01:37 PM   #4
Head Chef
Very interesting!! I've never seen this fruit (unlikely in my neck of the woods) but I will keep an eye out so that I can try it sometime.
Shunka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2006, 02:17 PM   #5
Senior Cook
Thanks for that Chopstixs. Hopefully someday I might come across it, not likely uphere, but maybe in my travels.
DaCook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2006, 02:28 PM   #6
Executive Chef
Oh my, they are beautiful. I'd like to try one, at least once.

Please spay and neuter your pets. The Animal Rescue Site
Half Baked is offline   Reply With Quote