"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Fruit & Nuts

Old 06-28-2009, 07:36 PM   #1
Master Chef

San Marzano Tomatoes

Yes, botanically, tomatoes are a fruit, and a pretty tasty one at that. So I placed this question in the fruit and nuts topic area.

We can finally get canned, San Marzano Tomatoes here. But they are more expensive than the other canned tomatoes. I've heard that these are superior tomatoes, and some people here in D.C. land won't use any other kind. Hence my question; are they worth the extra price; and, what make them so special?

Of course I'm going to purchase a can, just to see for myself. But I want to know your thoughts.

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009, 08:22 PM   #2
Master Chef

I have heard the same thing about their superior taste, but can't find them here in FL. Let us know what you think.

Old 06-28-2009, 10:25 PM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire

I enjoy using them, I find them sweeter and thus no adding sugar to my sauce to get rid of that tartness.I end up with a superior tasting pasta sauce with them.
kadesma
Old 06-28-2009, 11:32 PM   #4
Head Chef

I found them, after MUCH searching, in the Fresh Market store here.

Ho hum. They were very pretty in the can, nice and firm, full of flavor.

But when I blind taste tested them with 2 other peeled whole tomato products,
I could not tell a difference, and neither could my wife.

But hey! Food network stars rave about them, so perhaps my taste buds are inferior! LOLOLOLOL
Old 06-29-2009, 08:22 AM   #5
Sous Chef

Goodweed - For a canned tomato, they are the best. I do not seek them out though.

I love mine straight off the vine, and if I was smarter than the grasshopper, I'd learn to can my own so I could enjoy them year round.

But back to your question. For me, canned tomatoes are a compliment to a nice meal. But they are not the main player. With that in mind, I do not seek out a specific brand in the can.

Bob
Old 06-29-2009, 08:32 AM   #6
Chief Eating Officer

Beware of what you find labeled as San Marzano tomatoes in the US. Just because they say San Marzano on the label just not mean they are the real thing. Just as real champagne only comes from Champagne France, but you see plenty of California champagnes, the same is true of San Marzano tomatoes. Real the label to see where the tomatoes were canned to find out if you have the real deal.

As to your question about what makes then so special GW, it has to do with the soil they are grown in. They grow very close to Mount Vesuvius so the soil has a lot of volcanic ash. I do not know the specifics as to why that makes them better than other tomatoes, but that is the reason they are different.
Old 06-29-2009, 08:44 AM   #7
Sous Chef

GB - Not shooting at your post, but do you have a reason to think we are not getting the real deal when buying canned tomatoes? Just because it may have been canned somewhere else is not necessarily a bad thing. Lots of trucks going every where :-)

Bob
Old 06-29-2009, 09:02 AM   #8
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by CasperImproved View Post
...Just because it may have been canned somewhere else is not necessarily a bad thing. Lots of trucks going every where :-)

Bob

If they were grown in San Marzano Italy, and canned in California, I certainly don't want them!

I am interested in the trucks that made the trip though.
Old 06-29-2009, 09:05 AM   #9
Chief Eating Officer

San Marzano tomatoes are canned in San Marzano. The pick then and can them right away to preserve the quality. They are not shipping the high quality tomatoes from Italy to Chicago only to can them in the US. That would risk major damage to the tomato and there would be no benefit to doing it that way.

I am not saying that non-San Marzano tomatoes are not good. All I am saying is that just because the can says San Marzano on it does not make it the real deal. It is the same thing with Parmesan cheese. The real thing comes from Parma. Anything else, even if it is labeled as Parmesan is not the real Parmesan cheese. It can still be delicious, but it is not the actual cheese from that region in Italy.
Old 06-29-2009, 09:25 AM   #10
Executive Chef

Tomatoes have a different taste no matter what the soil. I've bought fresh tomatoes from a local produce market and they were delicious - then when our own came in I was so surprised at the difference in the taste. I don't think it was just the variety since we had 3 or 4 different varieties and they all had taste superior to any I've had in quite a while. I've even taken the suckers off the tomato plants and started a crop of tomatoes to come in later. The suckers were put into a growing medium and are looking wonderful. No canned or bought tomato can equal one pulled off your own vine and eaten quickly.

Tags
None