"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Fruit & Nuts

Old 02-25-2013, 09:14 AM   #21
Master Chef

On the other hand before there was hallal store in town some local muslims used to come to kosher store and buy meat there, becasue it is consider good for them, doesn't work the other way around though.

Old 02-25-2013, 10:33 AM   #22
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieD View Post
On the other hand before there was hallal store in town some local muslims used to come to kosher store and buy meat there, becasue it is consider good for them, doesn't work the other way around though.
So I take it that their 'kosher' rules are much different from yours. I should start reading up on the muslim religion. About all I know now is that they pray three times a day facing Mecca and they don't eat pork.

Old 02-25-2013, 12:17 PM   #23
Master Chef

I think it is 5 times per day
Old 02-25-2013, 03:52 PM   #24
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
I think it is 5 times per day
Yes, it's five times per day. I spent a week in Turkey in 2001 and it was amazing. There is a singer (muezzin) in each mosque who calls the faithful to prayer. The towers (minarets) around the mosques are designed to amplify the voices. Nowadays, some are recorded and have speakers, but we heard some live singers. Here's an example:

(Sorry to hijack your thread, jpb, but it's a cool progression, I think )
Old 02-26-2013, 11:57 AM   #25
Master Chef

We are way off the subject by now.
Old 02-27-2013, 10:14 AM   #26
Master Chef

Quote:
It is indeed, and when done properly it is heavenly. Don't go to the "expensive" part, you have no idea what it takes to get a nice one here in MN. We are talking $$$
I found some fresh, would you mind sharing your recipe?

"I hear voices and they don't like you "
Snip 13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 01:59 PM   #27
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snip 13 View Post
I found some fresh, would you mind sharing your recipe?

Here is the recipe I gave to somebody the other day, well more like a month.

I had close to 10 pounds of citrons' aka esrogim.
If you only have couple you will need very small ammount of water when start making sugar sirop or is it cirop?

anyways, just let me know if tyou need more help. Here it is:

Esrog aka Citron.

Take the nicest esrogim. The small or green ones are just not worth the time to pachka (full) with them. You have to wash them on outside who knows what hands were touching them. Cut the ends of, you know the stem and the pitum. Cut them right in the middle. Now you need to get rid of all of the seeds inside. You can simply cut them out or scoop it with a spoon.
At this point you need to put them on a scale. You need to know exact weight. You will need that much sugar. 1:1 proportion. After that slice them thin, say a 1/8 of an inch or so. You'll need a non-stick or an aluminum pot and a good solid wooden spoon. The pot should be large enough for the amount you have. Put esrogim in add cold water enough to cover fruit completely bring it to boil and then drain. Repeat this at least 4 or 5 times. Esrogim are bitter and this will take the bitterness out. After the last time make sure to drain all the water out. Put the esrogim into a different container. Take your pot put about a cup of cold water into it and bring it to boil add the sugar and mix constantly till sugar is completely dissolved. Add esrogim, lower the heat and stir almost constantly till the sugar and esrogim are completely mixed you can turn the heat up at that point. When it starts boiling again you can lower the heat to about medium high. The main thing to keep it slow to medium boiling. More than simmering. You have to stir pretty often so it doesn't stick to the bottom, because it will and it will burn in no time. Basically you cannot be doing anything else. For next two hours. The mixture should boil out at least by half, so make a note to yourself where you start. I made mine last night and took me more like 2 and a half hours, ah probably closer to 3. But I had a lot of esrogim. And I mean a lot. Also a simple test to see if jelly is ready take a tiny amount of jelly liquid and drop on the top of your thumb nail and turn you hand over, if drop stays then jelly is ready. At this point you need to add sour salt aka citric acid. (I do not use pectin) depending on how much you have, maybe a half to a tea spoon. Mix well let it boil for another 10 minutes. You need very clean glass jars. Preferably keep them close to the stove so they would not be cold and will be dry inside when you are ready to poor the jelly in. You have to put it into jar when it is hot. But do not cover it until it cools down. Ah, my wife told me to make a video yesterday, only if I knew. The jelly is very touchy. If you undercook it will get moldy, if you overcook it will become like a hard candy.
Old 02-27-2013, 02:30 PM   #28
Master Chef

[QUOTE=CharlieD;1243467]Here is the recipe I gave to somebody the other day, well more like a month.

If you only have couple you will need very small ammount of water when start making sugar sirop or is it cirop?

Esrog aka Citron.

Thank you Charlie
This is pretty close to how I make naartjie marmalade. Copied and pasted, wish me luck!

"I hear voices and they don't like you "
Snip 13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 02:34 PM   #29
Master Chef

Good luck. This is far from any profesioanl recipe. It is something I came up after few tries. Hope you like it.
Old 02-27-2013, 04:47 PM   #30
Chef Extraordinaire

[QUOTE=Snip 13;1243481]
Quote:
Here is the recipe I gave to somebody the other day, well more like a month.

Esrog aka Citron.

Thank you Charlie
This is pretty close to how I make naartjie marmalade. Copied and pasted, wish me luck!
Well, since you asked, it is syrup. I hate correcting folks publicly, but you did ask. Sorry.

Tags
recipe

Source for good citron Now that I have a nearly 2 year supply of citron halves, I can recommend Kalustyans as a source for unchopped citron. Many who do not like citron have not tasted 'good' citron. Used to buy it from a shop in Boston but they're out of business. 3 stars 1 reviews