Source for good citron

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
On the other hand before there was hallal store in town some local muslims used to come to kosher store and buy meat there, becasue it is consider good for them, doesn't work the other way around though.

On the other hand before there was hallal store in town some local muslims used to come to kosher store and buy meat there, becasue it is consider good for them, doesn't work the other way around though.

So I take it that their 'kosher' rules are much different from yours. I should start reading up on the muslim religion. About all I know now is that they pray three times a day facing Mecca and they don't eat pork. :angel:

I think it is 5 times per day

Yes, it's five times per day. I spent a week in Turkey in 2001 and it was amazing. There is a singer (muezzin) in each mosque who calls the faithful to prayer. The towers (minarets) around the mosques are designed to amplify the voices. Nowadays, some are recorded and have speakers, but we heard some live singers. Here's an example:

Islamic Call to Prayer - [Islam Calls You] - YouTube

(Sorry to hijack your thread, jpb, but it's a cool progression, I think ;))

I found some fresh, would you mind sharing your recipe?

Here is the recipe I gave to somebody the other day, well more like a month.

I had close to 10 pounds of citrons' aka esrogim.
If you only have couple you will need very small ammount of water when start making sugar sirop or is it cirop?

anyways, just let me know if tyou need more help. Here it is:

Esrog aka Citron.

· Take the nicest esrogim. The small or green ones are just not worth the time to pachka (full) with them. You have to wash them on outside who knows what hands were touching them. Cut the ends of, you know the stem and the pitum. Cut them right in the middle. Now you need to get rid of all of the seeds inside. You can simply cut them out or scoop it with a spoon.
· At this point you need to put them on a scale. You need to know exact weight. You will need that much sugar. 1:1 proportion. After that slice them thin, say a 1/8 of an inch or so. You'll need a non-stick or an aluminum pot and a good solid wooden spoon. The pot should be large enough for the amount you have. Put esrogim in add cold water enough to cover fruit completely bring it to boil and then drain. Repeat this at least 4 or 5 times. Esrogim are bitter and this will take the bitterness out. After the last time make sure to drain all the water out. Put the esrogim into a different container. Take your pot put about a cup of cold water into it and bring it to boil add the sugar and mix constantly till sugar is completely dissolved. Add esrogim, lower the heat and stir almost constantly till the sugar and esrogim are completely mixed you can turn the heat up at that point. When it starts boiling again you can lower the heat to about medium high. The main thing to keep it slow to medium boiling. More than simmering. You have to stir pretty often so it doesn't stick to the bottom, because it will and it will burn in no time. Basically you cannot be doing anything else. For next two hours. The mixture should boil out at least by half, so make a note to yourself where you start. I made mine last night and took me more like 2 and a half hours, ah probably closer to 3. But I had a lot of esrogim. And I mean a lot. Also a simple test to see if jelly is ready take a tiny amount of jelly liquid and drop on the top of your thumb nail and turn you hand over, if drop stays then jelly is ready. At this point you need to add sour salt aka citric acid. (I do not use pectin) depending on how much you have, maybe a half to a tea spoon. Mix well let it boil for another 10 minutes. You need very clean glass jars. Preferably keep them close to the stove so they would not be cold and will be dry inside when you are ready to poor the jelly in. You have to put it into jar when it is hot. But do not cover it until it cools down. Ah, my wife told me to make a video yesterday, only if I knew. The jelly is very touchy. If you undercook it will get moldy, if you overcook it will become like a hard candy.

If you only have couple you will need very small ammount of water when start making sugar sirop or is it cirop?

Esrog aka Citron.

Thank you Charlie :)
This is pretty close to how I make naartjie marmalade. Copied and pasted, wish me luck!

Esrog aka Citron.

Thank you Charlie :)
This is pretty close to how I make naartjie marmalade. Copied and pasted, wish me luck!

Well, since you asked, it is syrup. I hate correcting folks publicly, but you did ask. Sorry. :angel:

I'm telling, I even Googled it and it did not gave right answer, I knew it was wrong, just did not know what was wrong. Thank you.

Hi, I am new here and found this forum while searching on line for fresh citron. Does anyone know of an online source? I'm in upstate NY, no specialty food stores nearby.

I have Candied grapefruit and orange peel in the past, but for the past two years, I haven't been able to find fruit with sufficiently think skin (off subject- I have the same problem with watermelon, I cant seem to find any that have a thick rind for pickling). I have seen some online sources for an an familiar variety of white grapefruit crossed with pomelo, has anyone tried those? By the way, I noticed that there are no white grapefruits in the stores this year.

Also, should the fruits be organic? Of course I wash them, but is it safety use the skins?

Thank you.
Lorli

Hi, I am new here and found this forum while searching on line for fresh citron. Does anyone know of an online source? I'm in upstate NY, no specialty food stores nearby.

I have Candied grapefruit and orange peel in the past, but for the past two years, I haven't been able to find fruit with sufficiently think skin (off subject- I have the same problem with watermelon, I cant seem to find any that have a thick rind for pickling). I have seen some online sources for an an familiar variety of white grapefruit crossed with pomelo, has anyone tried those? By the way, I noticed that there are no white grapefruits in the stores this year.

Also, should the fruits be organic? Of course I wash them, but is it safety use the skins?

Thank you.
Lorli
I don't use the peels of citrus unless they are organic. I don't object to the flesh, even if it isn't organic. They usually dye citrus to make it look ripe. They use dyes that are not food safe, because it is assumed that the peel won't be eaten. :wacko:

Back
Top Bottom