"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Fruit & Nuts

Old 02-27-2013, 08:26 PM   #31
Master Chef

I'm telling, I even Googled it and it did not gave right answer, I knew it was wrong, just did not know what was wrong. Thank you.

Old 02-05-2014, 02:07 PM   #32
Assistant Cook

Hi, I am new here and found this forum while searching on line for fresh citron. Does anyone know of an online source? I'm in upstate NY, no specialty food stores nearby.

I have Candied grapefruit and orange peel in the past, but for the past two years, I haven't been able to find fruit with sufficiently think skin (off subject- I have the same problem with watermelon, I cant seem to find any that have a thick rind for pickling). I have seen some online sources for an an familiar variety of white grapefruit crossed with pomelo, has anyone tried those? By the way, I noticed that there are no white grapefruits in the stores this year.

Also, should the fruits be organic? Of course I wash them, but is it safety use the skins?

Thank you.
Lorli

Old 02-05-2014, 04:19 PM   #33
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by LorelisaGarten View Post
Hi, I am new here and found this forum while searching on line for fresh citron. Does anyone know of an online source? I'm in upstate NY, no specialty food stores nearby.

I have Candied grapefruit and orange peel in the past, but for the past two years, I haven't been able to find fruit with sufficiently think skin (off subject- I have the same problem with watermelon, I cant seem to find any that have a thick rind for pickling). I have seen some online sources for an an familiar variety of white grapefruit crossed with pomelo, has anyone tried those? By the way, I noticed that there are no white grapefruits in the stores this year.

Also, should the fruits be organic? Of course I wash them, but is it safety use the skins?

Thank you.
Lorli
I don't use the peels of citrus unless they are organic. I don't object to the flesh, even if it isn't organic. They usually dye citrus to make it look ripe. They use dyes that are not food safe, because it is assumed that the peel won't be eaten.
Old 02-05-2014, 08:40 PM   #34
Chef Extraordinaire

Do you have a source for that? It's pretty common for people to use citrus zest in cooking.
Old 02-05-2014, 10:54 PM   #35
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
Do you have a source for that? It's pretty common for people to use citrus zest in cooking.
Citrus Red 2 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I have read it elsewhere, but that's what was easy to find. I posted that link here a few years ago. I wasn't up for Googling it again.

Tags
recipe

Source for good citron Now that I have a nearly 2 year supply of citron halves, I can recommend Kalustyans as a source for unchopped citron. Many who do not like citron have not tasted 'good' citron. Used to buy it from a shop in Boston but they're out of business. 3 stars 1 reviews