"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Fruit & Nuts
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 02-20-2013, 06:01 PM   #1
Executive Chef
 
justplainbill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Eastern Long Island, New York
Posts: 4,206
Source for good citron

Now that I have a nearly 2 year supply of citron halves, I can recommend Kalustyans as a source for unchopped citron. Many who do not like citron have not tasted 'good' citron. Used to buy it from a shop in Boston but they're out of business.

__________________

justplainbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 07:25 PM   #2
Master Chef
 
Aunt Bea's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: near Mount Pilot
Posts: 7,487
Thanks for the tip!

How do you store it when you buy a large quantity?

In my area the only place I can find it is in an old Italian bakery but, they only stock it from about Thanksgiving until Christmas.

The prices shown on the site appear to be about a third less for most of the candied fruit than I pay in CNY.

I think I will fire off a small order and make some Hot Cross Buns.

Hot cross buns!
Hot cross buns!
One ha' penny, two ha' penny,
Hot cross buns!
If you have no daughters,
Give them to your sons
One ha' penny,
Two ha' penny,
Hot Cross Buns!
__________________

Aunt Bea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 09:30 PM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire
 
buckytom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: My mountain
Posts: 21,539
jpb, i did a quick search having no idea what good unchopped citron meant, and i'm still unsure. are you looking for the specific fruit, or a preserved derivative? candied, alcohol, etc..
__________________
The past is gone it's all been said.
So here's to what the future brings,
I know tomorrow you'll find better things
buckytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 06:02 AM   #4
Executive Chef
 
justplainbill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Eastern Long Island, New York
Posts: 4,206
It lasts as well as most candied preserved fruits. I vacuum pack some for longer term storage. Paradise brand is too gooey(too much corn syrup?), somewhat lacking in flavor, and cut into pieces that are too small.
justplainbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 08:40 AM   #5
Master Chef
 
Snip 13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Brakpan, South Africa
Posts: 5,586
I've googled citron, had no idea what it was. For a minute I actually thought you mispelled Citroen (The Car) lol!

I now know it's a citrus fruit but what parts are used and how?
__________________
Odette
"I used to jog but the ice cubes kept falling out of my glass."

"I hear voices and they don't like you "
Snip 13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 09:12 AM   #6
Executive Chef
 
justplainbill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Eastern Long Island, New York
Posts: 4,206
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snip 13 View Post
I've googled citron, had no idea what it was. For a minute I actually thought you mispelled Citroen (The Car) lol!

I now know it's a citrus fruit but what parts are used and how?
The candied skin / peel is common in some Italian cakes and pastries and in some German cookies.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Citrus_medica_corsican1__LOW__SCL.jpg
Views:	624
Size:	35.3 KB
ID:	17213  
justplainbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 09:17 AM   #7
Master Chef
 
Snip 13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Brakpan, South Africa
Posts: 5,586
Quote:
Originally Posted by justplainbill View Post
The candied skin / peel is common in some Italian cakes and pastries and in some German cookies.
Thank you One more thing I need to try. I think I've seen them at the Indian grocer. I believe they have little to no juice. Is this true?
Could I make marmalade with Citrons?

Sorry for all the questions but I don't trust google and you seem to know more anyway.
__________________
Odette
"I used to jog but the ice cubes kept falling out of my glass."

"I hear voices and they don't like you "
Snip 13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 09:19 AM   #8
Master Chef
 
CharlieD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: USA,Minnesota
Posts: 9,430
Being Jewish citron is used during Holiday of Sukkot. After, I usually get them from all my friends and make jelly. The last year I somehow got so busy i had no time to make it. I still have couple dried out ones seating in my fridge. Smell good.
But, Bill, you saying you can buy them fresh during the year too?
__________________
You are what you eat.
CharlieD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 09:25 AM   #9
Executive Chef
 
justplainbill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Eastern Long Island, New York
Posts: 4,206
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieD View Post
Being Jewish citron is used during Holiday of Sukkot. After, I usually get them from all my friends and make jelly. The last year I somehow got so busy i had no time to make it. I still have couple dried out ones seating in my fridge. Smell good.
But, Bill, you saying you can buy them fresh during the year too?
I was talking about candied / preserved citron skins / peels. They're about 3/8" thick; and the pieces run about 4" wide by 8 or 9" long.
justplainbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 09:28 AM   #10
Executive Chef
 
justplainbill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Eastern Long Island, New York
Posts: 4,206
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snip 13 View Post
Thank you One more thing I need to try. I think I've seen them at the Indian grocer. I believe they have little to no juice. Is this true?
Could I make marmalade with Citrons?

Sorry for all the questions but I don't trust google and you seem to know more anyway.
Sounds like that's what Charlie does. It's a bit too expensive around here to use it for marmalade but I do like bitter marmalade.
justplainbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 09:40 AM   #11
Master Chef
 
Snip 13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Brakpan, South Africa
Posts: 5,586
Quote:
Originally Posted by justplainbill View Post
Sounds like that's what Charlie does. It's a bit too expensive around here to use it for marmalade but I do like bitter marmalade.
Thank you I'll try it as soon as I find some. Citrus fruit is cheap by us and as far as I can remember the fruit I saw that looked like citron was relatively inexpensive.
__________________
Odette
"I used to jog but the ice cubes kept falling out of my glass."

"I hear voices and they don't like you "
Snip 13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 09:47 AM   #12
Executive Chef
 
justplainbill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Eastern Long Island, New York
Posts: 4,206
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snip 13 View Post
Thank you I'll try it as soon as I find some. Citrus fruit is cheap by us and as far as I can remember the fruit I saw that looked like citron was relatively inexpensive.
The Indian grocer sounds like your best bet.
justplainbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 09:52 AM   #13
Master Chef
 
Snip 13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Brakpan, South Africa
Posts: 5,586
Thank you :)
__________________
Odette
"I used to jog but the ice cubes kept falling out of my glass."

"I hear voices and they don't like you "
Snip 13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 02:58 PM   #14
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Addie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: East Boston, MA
Posts: 22,365
Citron is dried peels of citrus fruit that you find in that dreaded holiday fruit cake. When dried and sweetened properly, they make good munchings. I love the smell of citron. But then what citrus fruit doesn't smell heavenly.
__________________
Illegitimi non carborundum!
I don't want my last words to be, "I wish I had spent more time doing housework"
Addie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 10:29 PM   #15
Master Chef
 
CharlieD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: USA,Minnesota
Posts: 9,430
Quote:
Originally Posted by justplainbill View Post
Sounds like that's what Charlie does. It's a bit too expensive around here to use it for marmalade but I do like bitter marmalade.
It is indeed, and when done properly it is heavenly. Don't go to the "expensive" part, you have no idea what it takes to get a nice one here in MN. We are talking $$$
__________________
You are what you eat.
CharlieD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 10:51 PM   #16
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Dawgluver's Avatar
Site Moderator
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 24,998
DH's grandma used to candy citrus peel, grapefruit as I recall, boiling the peel in sugar syrup, drying, and boiling in syrup again, then drying again. It was delicious. Is this similar?
__________________
She who dies with the most toys, wins.
Dawgluver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 05:57 AM   #17
Executive Chef
 
justplainbill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Eastern Long Island, New York
Posts: 4,206
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post
DH's grandma used to candy citrus peel, grapefruit as I recall, boiling the peel in sugar syrup, drying, and boiling in syrup again, then drying again. It was delicious. Is this similar?
The process is about the same. The citron has a thicker skin and is generally more aromatic.
justplainbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 03:51 PM   #18
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Addie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: East Boston, MA
Posts: 22,365
Charlie, I know you cook only Kosher. And since the Islamic diet is very close to the Jewish one, do yo ever shop from one of their stores?
__________________
Illegitimi non carborundum!
I don't want my last words to be, "I wish I had spent more time doing housework"
Addie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 02:12 PM   #19
Master Chef
 
CharlieD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: USA,Minnesota
Posts: 9,430
Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
Charlie, I know you cook only Kosher. And since the Islamic diet is very close to the Jewish one, do yo ever shop from one of their stores?
I'm sorry Addie, I have no idea where you got the idea that our diets are close. Not at all, the only similarity is that pork is prohibited in both. We/I cannot buy anything in one of their stores, unless it is kosher of course, so the answer is no.
__________________
You are what you eat.
CharlieD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 07:59 AM   #20
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Addie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: East Boston, MA
Posts: 22,365
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieD View Post
I'm sorry Addie, I have no idea where you got the idea that our diets are close. Not at all, the only similarity is that pork is prohibited in both. We/I cannot buy anything in one of their stores, unless it is kosher of course, so the answer is no.
Thank you Charlie. Another lesson learned. As I said before, I love learning about other religions. I am always searching for knowledge.
__________________

__________________
Illegitimi non carborundum!
I don't want my last words to be, "I wish I had spent more time doing housework"
Addie is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
recipe

Source for good citron Now that I have a nearly 2 year supply of citron halves, I can recommend Kalustyans as a source for unchopped citron. Many who do not like citron have not tasted 'good' citron. Used to buy it from a shop in Boston but they're out of business. 3 stars 1 reviews
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:45 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.