Southern Fried Apples

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

luckytrim

Chef Extraordinaire
Southern Fried Apples

Ingredients

1/2 cup butter, cubed
6 medium unpeeled red apples, sliced
3/4 cup sugar, divided
3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon

Directions

Melt butter in a large cast-iron or other ovenproof skillet. Add apples and 1/2 cup sugar; stir to mix well. Cover and cook over low heat for 20 minutes or until apples are tender, stirring frequently.
Add cinnamon and remaining sugar. ( I added another 2 TBL of butter at this point).
Cook and stir over medium-high heat 5-10 minutes longer.
Apples, Southern Fried.jpg

Variation ...
During the Holiday season, Granny would add 1/2 cup of Red Hots and 1/2 cup of water to the butter at the start...

Serve with Pork.
Pork Chop, Butterflied, Fried Apples.jpg

I do a version of that as a topping for waffles. Smaller apple pieces and brown sugar instead of white. cooks in a couple of minutes and goes right on top of a pile of waffles. YUM!

My MIL used to make this, and so does my wife after going apple picking every fall. Good stuff!

They add of a squirt of lemon juice and a pinch of salt as well.

I've been serving up fried apples with dinners for ages. Posted photos here, too, on occasion. BUT, toss the word "Southern" in front of fried apples and everyone goes gaga! :ROFLMAO:

I think I’d forgo the Red Hots, and flambé it with a little bourbon!
YES! For two apples, 1 Tbsp of butter, 1 Tbsp of brown sugar, I'll finish with about 2 Tbsp of Bourbon. :yum:

I've been serving up fried apples with dinners for ages. Posted photos here, too, on occasion. BUT, toss the word "Southern" in front of fried apples and everyone goes gaga! :ROFLMAO:

YES! For two apples, 1 Tbsp of butter, 1 Tbsp of brown sugar, I'll finish with about 2 Tbsp of Bourbon. :yum:
Guilty.. ;)
Ross

Back
Top Bottom