Southern Fried Apples

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

luckytrim

Chef Extraordinaire
Southern Fried Apples

aa.jpg

Ingredients

1/2 cup butter, cubed
6 medium unpeeled red apples, sliced
3/4 cup sugar, divided
3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon

Directions

Melt butter in a large cast-iron or other ovenproof skillet. Add apples and 1/2 cup sugar; stir to mix well. Cover and cook over low heat for 20 minutes or until apples are tender, stirring frequently.
Add cinnamon and remaining sugar. ( I added another 2 TBL of butter at this point).
Cook and stir over medium-high heat 5-10 minutes longer.

Variation ...
During the Holiday season, Granny would add 1/2 cup of Red Hots and 1/2 cup of water to the butter at the start...

Serve with Pork !

a.jpg

I've been doing a quick version of this for years with butter, cinnamon and a grate of nutmeg as a topping for waffles. Delicious! I never knew they were "Southern Fried".

Andy, I think you need to put a lot of sugar and butter into it to call it "Southern". ;)

When I make sauteed apples, I use roughly one Tbsp of butter for the pan, and half a Tbsp of brown sugar for each apple. A splash of Bourbon doesn't hurt, either. :huh: Maybe I should call mine "Kentucky Fried Apples". :LOL:

another quick and easy apple recipe;

One apple per person, whatever your favorite apple variety is.
Cut the apple in half, from stem to bud. With a melon baller, remove the seed core. Place the apples skin side down in a microwave save casserole dish. Fill the divits created from removing the apple core with onetbs. brown sugar, 1 bs. butter, and 1.2 tsp. vanilla extract. Place in microwave and cook on high for seven minutes The brown sugar, butter, and vanilla combine to make a rich butterscotch sauce that flows over the baked apples. Serve with french vanilla ice cream. Yum.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Back
Top Bottom