"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Fruit & Nuts

Old 03-31-2012, 12:18 PM   #11
Executive Chef

Cerise,

Here it is ...

Cherry Gazpacho: ( I serve in a huge Martini glass )

150 grams of cherries
150 grams of blanched almonds
4 tblps E.V. olive oil or 50 ml.
1 pinch of salt
3 slices of baguette
2 cloves minced garlic
4 tablesp. milk
1 peeled, cored and diced acidic apple

Put the ingredients ( except olive oil and vinegar ) in a food processor and blend until gazpacho is thick and creamy

pour in the oil and vinegar separately and very slowly and pulse machine on a slow blend

serve with extra cherries on top for decoration and a spoon of Mascarpone or whipped cream

You can add a pinch or 2 of sugar if you care to ... and it shall be more sweet.

Enjoy.
Margi.

Old 03-31-2012, 02:28 PM   #12
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
That cherry gazpacho sounds intriguing. What happens if I leave out the bread? (I'm on a low carbohydrate diet.)

Old 03-31-2012, 02:34 PM   #13
Executive Chef

@ Charlie,

I have a book from the Spanish Government Valle de Jerte, Cáceres, EXtremadura on Cherries as this is the main Designation in the country. You are correct, 1 kilo cherries to 1 kilo sugar.... However, if you find the time, please do provide the jarring details and the cooking details --- thanks alot.
Happy Holidays too.
Margi.
Old 03-31-2012, 03:09 PM   #14
Executive Chef

The bread is used as a thickener ... so add more olive oil E.V. and more cherries if necessary ... or more almonds ... try it and see without bread ... then u can adjust to ur palate and dietary needs.

Enjoy ... it is nice ... served very chilled.

Margi. Have lovely wkend.
Old 03-31-2012, 03:22 PM   #15
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieD View Post
Here you cannot get tart cherries, by "here" I mean Minnesota. A neighbor has a tree though, and once in a while if they have had enough of it, they let me pick some. If that happens I like to make cherry preserve/jelly. From then it is used for pies and cakes. But also I use the leaves, they are essential for pickling.
Michigan is the Cherry capitol of the United States. I have a freind that has a Rainier Cherry Tree that produces far more cherries than he can use. He allows me and my wife to pick a batch during the season. They make the best cherry pies and preserves ever. Cherry stands pop up all over the place, especially in the lower peninsula with deep, dark red tart cherries, ans sweet cherries.

When I make a cherry pie, I start with three cups all-purpose flour, an 1 1/2 tsp. salt. I start cutting in lard until the dough looks like pea-gravel. I then add 1/4 cup sugar, and 2 tbs. cinnamon. I cut that in, and then add just enough ice water to make the pebbles start sticking together. I divide the dough in half and roll out the first half. I then place that into the deep-dish pie pan, brush with egg-wash, and blind bake for 15 minutes at 350' F. I then make the filling from pitted cherries, sugar, and cornstarch. Add just a little cinnamon to taste. Let cool, then pour that into the pie crust.

While the filling is cooling, roll out the top crust and cut into 1/2 inch strips, the length of the crust. Use these stripes to make a lattice crust on top. Brush with egg wash, and sprinkle with coarse sugar.

Bake until the crust is golden brown, let cool and serve with good vanilla ice cream.

The first time I made the crust with sugar and cinnamon worked into the crust, a person told me I was crazy, and that I was ruining the crust. After the pie was baked, and given as a prized at a church function, and the reports came back on its quality, that same person had to admit that I probably knew what I was doing.

We also like to make home-made cherry ice cream, and sherry-chocolate cake.

If you macerate the cherries in sugar, and then strain, you get a wonderful cherry juice that can be used to make cherry punch, cherry flavored frostings, sweet & sour sauce, and cherry panacotta.

Cherry tarts are great, as are cherry covered pancakes. It's all good.

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 08:30 PM   #16
Master Chef

Try preserving some in alcohol!

Use perfect firm fresh sweet cherries, leave the stem on and place in a canning jar with a tight fitting lid. Top with a mixture of three parts alcohol to 1 part sugar. Put in a cool dark place and give the jar a shake every now and then. By Christmas they will be very nice to eat and to drink the cherry cordial. You can vary the alcohol vodka, cognac, rum are all good and all different.
Old 04-01-2012, 07:52 AM   #17
Executive Chef

Princess Fiona,

Good morning. Wish I could go and pick my own cherries or fruit !

Have to look into this !

Have nice Sunday and thanx for ur feedback.
Margi.
Old 04-01-2012, 07:53 AM   #18
Executive Chef

@ Aunt Bea,

Cherry licor ... nice idea.

Thanks for posting it.

Have a lovely Sunday.
Margi.
Old 04-01-2012, 07:57 AM   #19
Executive Chef

@ Chief Longwind,

Firstly, good morning and thank you for posting the Cherry Pie recipe ...

I am going to take a look during the week at your Word Press Blog too. I also, have one on some of my many epicurean escapes through the Mediterranean, recipes and a Spanish Chef interview or two :

www.gourmettravelling.wordpress.com

Thanks for posting the pie, as it looks wonderful ... a la mode with home made cherry vanilla icecream on top !

Have nice wkend,
Margi. Cintrano.
Old 04-01-2012, 10:56 AM   #20
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aunt Bea View Post
Try preserving some in alcohol!

Use perfect firm fresh sweet cherries, leave the stem on and place in a canning jar with a tight fitting lid. Top with a mixture of three parts alcohol to 1 part sugar. Put in a cool dark place and give the jar a shake every now and then. By Christmas they will be very nice to eat and to drink the cherry cordial. You can vary the alcohol vodka, cognac, rum are all good and all different.
Oh my! That sounds really good. Now I can hardly wait for cherries to appear in the stores.

Tags
None