Spicy Fruit Salsa

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bknox

Head Chef
Cicero, IL, but my heart is in Virginia where my f
I have been making various versions of this over the years as a nice topping for Chicken and Pork. You can use any fruit you like. I have used blueberries, cantaloupe or just about anything sweet at one time or another. Anyway I am just trying to say this is more a guideline than a rule so have some fun.

Spicy Fruit Slaw
This time I made it for pork so I used a lot of Papaya

2 plums, pitted & diced salsa size
2 Nectarines, same condition
1/2 to 3/4 of a fair sized Papaya, skinned and diced salsa size

3 or 4 Tablespoons Jelly. I used a homemade Jalapeno Jelly I made but orange marmalade is excellent for this.
1 Tablespoon of a decent hot sauce.

Mix jelly and hot sauce. Toss all together with fruit and serve over pork or chicken.

Enjoy!
Bryan

I have been making various versions of this over the years as a nice topping for Chicken and Pork. You can use any fruit you like. I have used blueberries, cantaloupe or just about anything sweet at one time or another. Anyway I am just trying to say this is more a guideline than a rule so have some fun.

Spicy Fruit Slaw
This time I made it for pork so I used a lot of Papaya

2 plums, pitted & diced salsa size
2 Nectarines, same condition
1/2 to 3/4 of a fair sized Papaya, skinned and diced salsa size

3 or 4 Tablespoons Jelly. I used a homemade Jalapeno Jelly I made but orange marmalade is excellent for this.
1 Tablespoon of a decent hot sauce.

Mix jelly and hot sauce. Toss all together with fruit and serve over pork or chicken.

Enjoy!
Bryan

Did you say homemade jalapeno jelly.................please share that with us :)

Hello Bourbon Its me Bryan.:turned: That should be the title of a book.:)

I will have to dig it up. I make it every almost every year. Its not spicy but has a strong pepper flavor. Its really good. I also make Thai chili jelly every so often. Pretty hot, mainly used as a marinade or for fire eating friends. I will have to find them both and post them for you.

As requested, Jalapeno Jelly Recipe. I have been really busy but I did not forget about the recipe.

Jalapeno Jelly
25 to 30 Jalapeno Peppers with stems, seeds and ribs removed.
1 1/2 cups Cider Vinegar
6 1/2 cups Sugar
1/2 to 1 teaspoons Salt
2 3oz packs of pectine

Cut peppers into chunks. Really does not matter how big, you will be grinding them up. Once chunked liquify them in a blender.

Measure 2 cups of liquified peppers. Hopefully you will have close to that. If you have a little more, because you may have started with bigger peppers, add them in. I find its ok.

Place the ground/liquified peppers, Vinegar, Sugar and Salt in a large pot and bring to a boil over high heat, stirring occasionally. When you are boiling full on stir all the time and allow to boil for 5 minutes. After 5 minutes add the pectin and allow to return to a full boil and allow to boil for 1 minute (pretty standard). Remove from heat and skim off foam. Continue to stir for about another 5 minutes.

Pour into sterilized jars leaving 1/4 inch or so at the top and seal as you normally would in boiling water.

This jelly is not spicy. It has an intense pepper flavor and I use it in sauces and marinades. I always wanted to get my hands on enough red jalapenos to make a red version but I never seem to have that luck.

Enjoy,
Bryan

nice

Your jalapeno gelly sounds so good...as for me in terms of salsa ive also tried guavas, mangoes as well as papaya too and i love some crunchiness to my salsa like a not so ripe papaya and guavas...i also tried green mangoes but i used Philippine mangoes for it:)

keittcutt.jpg

Back
Top Bottom