Strawberries Gone Wild - help needed.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Strawberry anything - meringues, sundaes, margaritas, etc. - sounds wonderful. While I love all fruits, fresh strawberries in season rank high on my list of favorites.

I sincerely appreciate all of the recommendations.

~Kathleen

I would have to dig... but typically you would warm 1 C brandy and 2 C sugar till sugar is dissolved. Then add berries - about 1 quart. Place in a jar (in fridge) and invert every few days. They are ready to eat in a 3 weeks. Fabulous on ice cream or pound cake. My mom used to do this but didn't refrigerate - I'm still alive so I guess it was OK....:rolleyes:

now THAT's interesting. we do that to cherries. wouldn't think strawberries would hold up to that, but it sure would be delicious!

I made refrigerator jam this past weekend. 3 quarts of berries yielded 6 cups of jam. Omigosh, it smells so good! the whole house still smells like strawberries. :D

Last night I had an impromtu dinner party and some one brought a strawberry appetizer that ROCKED! She cooked and served them as they came off the grill - I noticed a cluster of people hovering at the grill and got there in time to get the last one.

Fresh berries
Baguette
Chevre
Balsamic vinegar

Cleaned and halved strawberries grilled on wood skewers
French bread slices toasted on grill (not too much)
Smear goat cheese on bread, add a berry or two, drizzle with balsamic vinegar.

Swoon and do again.

strawberry - pancakes, muffins, shortcake, strawbery/rhubarb topping

Last night I had an impromtu dinner party and some one brought a strawberry appetizer that ROCKED! She cooked and served them as they came off the grill - I noticed a cluster of people hovering at the grill and got there in time to get the last one.

Fresh berries
Baguette
Chevre
Balsamic vinegar

Cleaned and halved strawberries grilled on wood skewers
French bread slices toasted on grill (not too much)
Smear goat cheese on bread, add a berry or two, drizzle with balsamic vinegar.

Swoon and do again.

I would serve that for dessert. :)

I was given some beautiful sweet strawberries and will be making some Straawberry sauce with mini cream cheese crepes tomorrow. Can hardly wait. Here is the sauce, puree and strain. 2-1/3 cups of the strawberries. In a sauce pan combine the puree 1/2-3/4 cup sugar depending on how sweet you want the sauce, and then add 1 Tab. fresh lemon juice. Bring to a boil. Cook til slightly thickened. Let cool. Stir in the reserved 2/3 cup of whole berries Let stand, covered at room temp. When making the crepes you will use all of this sauce.
enjoy,
kades

That grilled strawberry sounds fantastic, Janet!

I like to slice the berries, add a very small amount of sugar to begin maceration and apply fresh ground black pepper and chill for 30 minutes...changes the taste...more strawberry flavor. I've also made peppered strawberry sorbet.

That grilled strawberry sounds fantastic, Janet!

I like to slice the berries, add a very small amount of sugar to begin maceration and apply fresh ground black pepper and chill for 30 minutes...changes the taste...more strawberry flavor. I've also made peppered strawberry sorbet.

mmmm I do mine with a tad of sugar, Balsamic Vinegar (the good kind) and the black pepper..... :)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom