"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Fruit & Nuts

Old 03-20-2012, 11:21 AM   #11
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bolas De Fraile
The Great British Summer Pudding. I use any mix of berries.
I might have to quote an insurance company here: that's so easy a caveman could do it! Definitely going to try this one.Thanks.

Old 03-20-2012, 11:31 AM   #12
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by merstar
Some good ideas to check out here:
Oregon-Grown Blueberries - Varieties
Awesome link. I saw a tarragon blue cheese blueberry dressing, blueberry salmon and a blueberry polenta cake I'm interested in. Thanks.

Old 03-20-2012, 11:41 AM   #13
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cerise
Cream cheese and blueberry stuffed French Toast

blueberry pancakes

muffins

Lemon blueberry poundcake

crepes

blintzes

trifle or individual trifles w/ lemon yogurt or pudding, ladyfingers, poundcake or angel food cake

dump cake

mix them into yogurt

granita

smoothies

ice cream

over waffles

over cereal, oatmeal

jam or preserves

blueberry vinaigrette dressing

blueberry tart w/ puff pastry

blueberry cheesecake bars

Blueberry Pot Pies (w/ sour cream ice cream)
(in a pinch, you could use refrigerated pie dough)

Blueberry Pot Pie with Sour Cream Ice Cream Recipe | MyRecipes.com
Nice list of ideas. I do several variations of trifles every so often. We've done pancakes, muffins, poundcakes, dump cakes, smoothies,mixed in yogurt (that's a staple at our house), ice cream, over waffles, cereal, oatmeal, preserves, & tarts. Haven't done blueberry cheesecake bars, pot pies, granitas, or vinaigrette but would like to.
Old 03-20-2012, 12:46 PM   #14
Executive Chef

Berries and the Mediterranean

Lovely postings ...

Though it is still quite early for strawberry season in Spain which is quite a bit later, May - July ...

Black berries, rasberries & blueberries are more or less always available and of course, there are frozen ones --- for berry aficionados ...

This is " Cherry Season " in Spain ... ( March - April )

In Italia, berries are predominately used in Gelatos, icecream making and granitas, syrups for ices and sorbet or sherbert.

I have made Strawberries, called Fresones ( large naturally aromatic and sweet ) ones for a Strawberry Sangría ... Nice for a Shellfish Paella lunch.

There are wild strawberries called Fresas which are from southern Madrid, in Aranjuez, which is a Designation of Origin, and these are small however, luscious.

I had also watch Bola´s You Tube Video this morning ... the only problem for me was that the woman added an excessive amount of white sugar, which, if the berries were ripe and sweet, is totally unnecessary in my viewpoint. Otherwise, thanks Bola for the recipe however, I would use much less sugar.

Berries even when ripe do have a tendency to have a slight tartness ... especially rasberries, black berries and strawberries ...

*** SANGRÍA and CHEESECAKE ... just a fruit bowl with a variety of colored spiced sugars: curry sugar, chili pepper sugar, chocolate sugar, vanilla sugar, rose petal sugar etcetra ...

Thanks.
Margi.
Old 03-21-2012, 03:18 AM   #15
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margi Cintrano View Post

I had also watch Bola´s You Tube Video this morning ... the only problem for me was that the woman added an excessive amount of white sugar, which, if the berries were ripe and sweet, is totally unnecessary in my viewpoint. Otherwise, thanks Bola for the recipe however, I would use much less sugar.

Berries even when ripe do have a tendency to have a slight tartness ... especially rasberries, black berries and strawberries ...
Margi the woman is Saint Delia Smith.
There are two reasons for the amount of sugar used in this recipe, one is the plain bread which absorbs the syrup, the other is the red berry is very tart think cranberry.
This is last seasons jamming strawb, damson, crabapple, rasberry jams in outhouse picture by Hvar2010 - Photobucket

Ps my wifes fav berry is the wild strawb. The grow like weeds in Serbia and in every market they sell the jam and clotted cream (kaymak) but they dont eat the kaymak with sweet food. I made some scones and introduced them to the delights of a Cornish Cream Tea.
Old 03-21-2012, 03:34 AM   #16
Head Chef

This strawberry and mascarpone crostata is almost too pretty to eat...

Recipe: Strawberry crostata - latimes.com
Old 03-21-2012, 11:22 AM   #17
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bolas De Fraile View Post
Margi the woman is Saint Delia Smith.
There are two reasons for the amount of sugar used in this recipe, one is the plain bread which absorbs the syrup, the other is the red berry is very tart think cranberry.
This is last seasons jamming strawb, damson, crabapple, rasberry jams in outhouse picture by Hvar2010 - Photobucket

Ps my wifes fav berry is the wild strawb. The grow like weeds in Serbia and in every market they sell the jam and clotted cream (kaymak) but they dont eat the kaymak with sweet food. I made some scones and introduced them to the delights of a Cornish Cream Tea.
I'm pretty sure there is a third reason. Sugar helps to draw the juice out of the berries. But, I think you need less sugar if you heat the berries, like she does. When I make berry gelatin, I add sugar and let them sit at room temperature for a few hours. That brings out plenty of juice.

Wild strawberries are my favourite berry too.
Old 03-21-2012, 11:46 AM   #18
Executive Chef

Sangría with Strawberries

I sometimes make a Sangría with fresh May - June strawberries ... Here is the quick version of my recipe ...

4 cups La Rioja red wine ( I normally use Marqués De Cáceres - La Rioja )
1/8 superfine sugar
2 cups club soda
10 ripened strawberries sliced in quarters
3/4 cup Spanish or French Brandy of choice
1 fresh Lemon diced
1 double skin Israeli type Orange diced

1. mix wine, brandy and sugar stirring to dissolve sugar
2. chill well 2 hours
3. add soda and the fruit, just before serving
4. Just before serving: add 1 cinammon stick, 1 clove and a pinch of allspice

Enjoy. Ciao.
Margi.
Old 03-21-2012, 11:50 AM   #19
Executive Chef

@ Bolas,

Yes, I know that cranberries could be a bit on tart side ... Nice recipe ... I would just change the berries and use alot less White Sugar ...

I am not too familiar with UK Chefs, except for very very very international ones, for example: Heston Blumenthal ( cool dude ), Jaime Oliver ( I have several of his cookbooks ) and Gordon Ramsey who is absolutely a wizard and brilliant even on the business side of restaurateuring ... and have all his cookbks too --- I love his Rôti and papillote cooking techniques ...

Margi.

Have a nice evening.
Margi.
Old 03-21-2012, 12:58 PM   #20
Head Chef

I also like strawberry sangria with white wine. Very similar, but soak the berries in the wine with sugar a few hours in the refrigerator, then place them in a pitcher and add the club soda. The wine-soaked berries are nice served over poundcake with whipped cream. Thank you for sharing your recipe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margi Cintrano View Post
I sometimes make a Sangría with fresh May - June strawberries ... Here is the quick version of my recipe ...

4 cups La Rioja red wine ( I normally use Marqués De Cáceres - La Rioja )
1/8 superfine sugar
2 cups club soda
10 ripened strawberries sliced in quarters
3/4 cup Spanish or French Brandy of choice
1 fresh Lemon diced
1 double skin Israeli type Orange diced

1. mix wine, brandy and sugar stirring to dissolve sugar
2. chill well 2 hours
3. add soda and the fruit, just before serving
4. Just before serving: add 1 cinammon stick, 1 clove and a pinch of allspice

Enjoy. Ciao.
Margi.