The many ways to use berries:

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
You're welcome, FA!

Super, TL! It is really yummy. Important not to wash the berries.

Canadians may be familiar with the Anne of Green Gables books. Anne got her best friend Dianna drunk on raspberry cordial! So be careful!

I have a bag of frozen raspberries, blueberries, and Marion blackberries. Do you think that would work?

taxlady said:
I have a bag of frozen raspberries, blueberries, and Marion blackberries. Do you think that would work?

It should. I would defrost and drain them, maybe smush them a bit because of the blueberries. Oooh, I would think that would make a wonderful cordial!

I've only used the wild raspberries.

It should. I would defrost and drain them, maybe smush them a bit because of the blueberries. Oooh, I would think that would make a wonderful cordial!

I've only used the wild raspberries.

Do you pick your own wild raspberries? I'm so envious. I find that raspberries lose a really yummy component within a few hours of picking. I had feral raspberries when I lived in the country and I picked wild ones in the woods in Denmark.

Here they sell them in what looks like a 4 ounce container for about $4. And those are berries that were picked, who knows when and then had to travel to the city. That's why I buy them frozen. They freeze them at the farm, so they don't lose that special, yumminess and they are lots cheaper.

taxlady said:
Do you pick your own wild raspberries? I'm so envious. I find that raspberries lose a really yummy component within a few hours of picking. I had feral raspberries when I lived in the country and I picked wild ones in the woods in Denmark.

Here they sell them in what looks like a 4 ounce container for about $4. And those are berries that were picked, who knows when and then had to travel to the city. That's why I buy them frozen. They freeze them at the farm, so they don't lose that special, yumminess and they are lots cheaper.

We used to pick our own. Then the county came and stole our dirt and wild raspberries. We have wooded acreage, and following a flood, they brought their machines and stole our dirt to build up land that got washed away elsewhere. Couldn't believe it, I was just sick. We have since bought and closed the road in the woods the county dug up, but too late for the raspberries. I will have to go in search of more patches, though the TNT is gone.

DH and I would pick huge amounts. Since he's susceptible to poison ivy, and I'm not, I had the job of climbing through the vines and getting the sweetest, most wonderful raspberries. We both got really scratched up, but it was worth it!

We used to pick our own. Then the county came and stole our dirt and wild raspberries. We have wooded acreage, and following a flood, they brought their machines and stole our dirt to build up land that got washed away elsewhere. Couldn't believe it, I was just sick. We have since bought and closed the road in the woods the county dug up, but too late for the raspberries. I will have to go in search of more patches, though the TNT is gone.

DH and I would pick huge amounts. Since he's susceptible to poison ivy, and I'm not, I had the job of climbing through the vines and getting the sweetest, most wonderful raspberries. We both got really scratched up, but it was worth it!

Bummer. When you find some more wild ones, you should spread the seeds and canes. Yup, lots of scratches, but well worth it.

I know how that feels. At the end road that connects the four roads of our subdivision, a ditch runs the length of the road. About 5 years back, the entire ditch was loaded with wild raspberries. One of our neighbors likes to play with his tractors, and big-boy toys. He went along with his brush-hog attachment and mowed them all down. I'd been picking from those bushes for years, as had other people in the neighborhood. I asked him why he cut down all the raspberries. He said they were an eyesore. Normally, the man is a really good neighbor. But I have to say that I miss those raspberry bushes. Fortunately, I have wild bushes along my garage, and next to my driveway. Another neighbor frequently volunteers to clear them out for me. I just tell him to back right away from my raspberry bushes. I happen to enjoy wild things, a lot!

I'm the guy who lets dandelions grow in my yard, much to my DW's dismay. I try to explain to her that they are the first flowering plant, and are essential to the well being of honeybees, early in the season. I have a freind that keeps honeybee hives, and gives me a good price on some of the best tasting honey I've tasted.

I'm just not a big fan of manicured lawns. They aren't natural, and don't help nature in any way, shape, or form. To the contrary, they generally hurt nature wherever they are grown, by supporting mono-culture, and taking up space where trees and other plant life should be growing.

Ok, I'm climbing off my soapbox now.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

I know how that feels. At the end road that connects the four roads of our subdivision, a ditch runs the length of the road. About 5 years back, the entire ditch was loaded with wild raspberries. One of our neighbors likes to play with his tractors, and big-boy toys. He went along with his brush-hog attachment and mowed them all down. I'd been picking from those bushes for years, as had other people in the neighborhood. I asked him why he cut down all the raspberries. He said they were an eyesore. Normally, the man is a really good neighbor. But I have to say that I miss those raspberry bushes. Fortunately, I have wild bushes along my garage, and next to my driveway. Another neighbor frequently volunteers to clear them out for me. I just tell him to back right away from my raspberry bushes. I happen to enjoy wild things, a lot!

I'm the guy who lets dandelions grow in my yard, much to my DW's dismay. I try to explain to her that they are the first flowering plant, and are essential to the well being of honeybees, early in the season. I have a freind that keeps honeybee hives, and gives me a good price on some of the best tasting honey I've tasted.

I'm just not a big fan of manicured lawns. They aren't natural, and don't help nature in any way, shape, or form. To the contrary, they generally hurt nature wherever they are grown, by supporting mono-culture, and taking up space where trees and other plant life should be growing.

I'm with you Chief.

God on Lawns

Chief Longwind Of The North said:

Our blueberries are also mostly all wild too. I much prefer the taste of my blueberries to the store bought ones - even the ones from local produce stands seem to be bland & lacking in that blueberry flavor. Part of the reason some of our land was purchased was to protect those little delicacies.

Natural lawn - Me too. You can have a natural somewhat manicured lawn. We have one. We don't "treat" the yard for dandelions as we don't believe our yard is diseased. We only have about 5 acres & almost one whole side is heavily dandelioned, & I think it is beautiful. To me it looks like a scene from "Little House on the Prairie". I used to babysit a cousin & when she was 3 years old she LOVED playing in that field. I have a picture of her that everyone raves about & wants with that background. If we have an outdoor event we can still "Manicure the lawn" & it looks great (to us anyway). It's neatly cut & safe. And natural the way I like it.

As everyone knows berries are expensive and frequently you find that dreadful fuzzy mold growing on them.
I have been doing this for years, and it really does work

When I buy fresh berries I make a mixture of one part white vinegar or apple cider & ten parts water...I dump the berries into the mixture & swirl it around.............DRAIN.......you can rinse if you want but the mixture is so diluted you can't taste the vinegar. The vinegar kills any mold or bacteria spores........put them in your fridge..your berries should last at least two weeks. I have also been known to freeze these berries in small (meal sized) zip lock bags or small freezer containers

Back
Top Bottom