"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Fruit & Nuts

Old 01-08-2008, 03:40 PM   #11
Head Chef

Send a message via MSN to Caine
Nuts are good for you because they have vitamins, minerals, antioxidants, and monosaturated fat, which is a healthy way to transport fat soluable vitamins throughout your body. Unfortunately fat, even good fat, has more than twice the calories per gram as protein or carbohydrates, therefore you have to watch your intake to prevent consuming more calories than you expend, which is why people get fat.

Old 01-08-2008, 04:39 PM   #12
Master Chef

I'm a nut fan and eat them almost daily... any kind of nuts... any time. They are great for snacks and 'hold-me-over till dinner time'. I would much rather eat nuts than some of the other so called processed snack foods that claim they are good for you or diet conscience. Now I will say this, I would try to eat the nuts in their raw state, and if you don't like that, roast them in the oven with little to NO salt. I think nuts are under appreciated.

Old 01-08-2008, 05:13 PM   #13
Executive Chef

I couldn't agree more Sattie! I love being nutty for nuts!!! I buy dry roasted unsalted almonds (my favorite) also walnuts, brazil nuts and cashews.
Old 01-08-2008, 05:29 PM   #14
Master Chef

Caine is pretty much dead on. I won't go into all of the nutritional benefits and pit-falls about nuts. But I will say this; All nuts are not created equal!.

Some of the little things we call nuts are seeds while some are actually fruits. The walnut and pecan, for instance, are in the same plant family as are peaches, and avacadoes. Tey all elong to the drupes (I think. Too little sleep has me a bit foggy today.). They are high in anti-0xidants, mono-unsaturate fats, vitamins, and minerals. With some of this family, you eat the skin and meat surounding the seed, while in others, you crack open the seed casing to get at the inside.

Sunflowers seeds, sesame seeds, and others like them have significant amounts of polyunsaturates and mono-unsaturants, as well as vitamins, minerals and fiber. But they aren't quite as healthy as are the walnuts and pecans.

Then there are peanuts, not a real nut at all. It's a member of the legume family along with peas, lentils, and beans. It too is a heathy food, but in moderation.

Cashew and Brazil nuts are truly deliscious due to their high fat and carbohydrate content. They give you a moderate amount of fiber, but should be eaten more sparingly than other nuts. They are very high calorie nuts.

Unfortunately, the same is true of macadamia nuts and hazlenuts (filberts).

So you have to do some research before you can really be informed about nuts, legumes, and nut oils. There is no simple answer to your question. On the plus side, you will become a nut expert (I didn't have to study the above mentioned plant foods to become a nut expert. I raised four kids to adulthood.) The info you learn will be well worth the effort you expend. And it's interesting stuff.

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2008, 03:02 PM   #15
Sue-Zee-Q

This just in! Nuts are actually a belly fat blasting food! If you have a serving of nuts (2 tbsp) with your meal, you are actually helping your body to reduce belly fat. The other foods are oils (such as canola, flaxseed, olive, peanut, safflower, sesame, soybean, sunflower, walnut) 1 serving of oil is 1 tbsp, advocado (1/4 cup), olives (10 large are considered one serving) and chocolate (1/4 cup).

Goodweed, that is very interesting about peanuts, I didn't realize that they are not a nut but infact a legume. Very interesting stuff indeed. Thanks for sharing your knowledge with us all.
Old 01-29-2008, 12:38 PM   #16
Assistant Cook

I love the Blue Diamond almonds. I read somewhere that a serving of almonds can fit in an Altoids container---I keep meaning to save an empty tin and have a portable snack that way.

Tags
None