"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Fruit & Nuts

Old 01-07-2008, 12:25 PM   #1
Master Chef

The whole nut thing is driving me nuts

Ok....I've heard the benefits of eating nuts and that they are healthy for you and so on and so on. The thing is that when I look at the labels those lil buggers are full of fat. If I'm workinng on keeping my fat grams around 25 a day and a serving of nuts is 20....what the heck.
I'm just not convinced this is a healthy snack like a lot of the experts have been advising to snack on.
Someone enlighten me please or tell me about some nut product out there that isn't fattening.

Old 01-07-2008, 12:32 PM   #2
Everymom

OK, from what I understand, the fat in nuts is GOOD fat. Its the stuff you should be having to improve your overall cholesterol. It ups the HDL levels and lowers LDL levels.
Keep in mind, I'm not an expert, just repeating what I've been told. I'll see if I can go find some research to back that claim up.

I think that what is more important than the fat grams in the nuts is the caloric content. Are you trying to maintain weight or are you just trying to keep fats low?

Old 01-07-2008, 12:39 PM   #3
Master Chef

Both Alix and I know that they are high in calories too....so I don't get it. So I guess if its just to deal with cholesterold then I'm okay I'll just stick to my oatmeal for that.
Any information you can find will be helpful I'm not having any luck finding anything that tells me how something so high in fat and calories is good for a person trying to lose weight.
Old 01-07-2008, 12:41 PM   #4
Master Chef

I'm not sure that all nuts are that good for you. But almonds supposedly are.

Read up on them here: WHFoods: Almonds
Old 01-07-2008, 12:50 PM   #5
Everymom

There is a TON of info about nuts and weight loss. Look here for an article that I thought was interesting.
Old 01-07-2008, 07:25 PM   #6
Hospitality Queen

Nuts are very good for you - I believe that all fruits, veggies, nuts that are in their original form are here for a reason - to be eaten :)
I have about cup of nuts each day, usually pecans or almonds, and it hasn't caused any change in my weight. Plus, it keeps my stomach from wanting straight sugar.

(I particularly like chopped pecans over cottage cheese. It sounds weird, I know, but it's really a nice way to start the day)
Old 01-08-2008, 12:13 AM   #7
Senior Cook

I am not sure why nuts can be so full of fat and still be good for you, but remember that this is an object that is supposed to become a living organism. Anything that is designed to become a living thing or to nourish a new organism tends to be very full of nutrients. This goes for nuts, grains, seeds, eggs, and milk. All of these contain fat or oil in relatively high percentages, but all are considered (at least to some degree) "healthy" for us.

Perhaps it is the quality of the oil or fat (not all are the same) plus the protein and nutrients that come with them. Anyway, I am not sure, it's just something I remember hearing once or twice.

http://www.homemade-soup-recipes.com/
ErikC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 02:10 AM   #8
Executive Chef

Nuts are loaded with healthy fat, which we all need. I eat 1/4 cup of nuts or sunflower seeds everyday and I don't have a weight problem.

Some excellent reading on nuts here WHFoods: The World's Healthiest Foods
Old 01-08-2008, 07:44 AM   #9
Master Chef

Wow....thanks everyone! I've got a lot of reading to do.....great sites!
Old 01-08-2008, 12:14 PM   #10
Sue-Zee-Q

I think though like anything, eating too many nuts can be bad for you, sort of like eating too many carrots can give your skin an orange tint (remember Susan Dey from the Partridge Family). I eat nuts as a source of protein because I am a vegetarian. I think if you are eating nuts, and eating chocolate and eating pork fat and everything else high in fat, and not eating other things, you will have a weight problem, but if you eat everything in moderation and using common sense, you shouldn't have a problem. I did a bad thing and ate nuts during both my pregnancies, thankfully neither child is allergic to them!

Oh yeah, nuts are also a great source of fibre! They give me a run for my money, well almonds do anyway! Not that you needed to know that ;-)

Tags
None