Toasted pumpkin seeds

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

corazon

Executive Chef
Native New Mexican, now live in Bellingham, WA
I've decided to make toasted pumpkin seeds after carving pumpkins this year. I saw one recipe that tossed the seeds in melted butter and salt before putting them in the oven, sounds interesting to me. What is your favorite way of doing them? Happy Halloween to be!

I soak them in salt water overnight, toss with oil, season (salt, garlic, onion, chili powder, smoke salt, etc.) and bake until golden. I don't like them all dried out and tough though! :-p patooey!

Have made them every year essentially doing what Shannon does (also love cumin as a seasoning, but always make some with plain old salt) except have never soaked in salt water (why, because I never heard of it).

Can I ask what that step does?

Thanks.

Growing up we always washed them throughly, left them over night (if memory serves me right) and than baked them with salt and a drizzle of oil. So I've carried on doing it this way myself. I love to taste the natural flavour of the seeds, but I would certainly give your recipe a try Daisy - yum yum!!!

Nice thread Corazon:)

I soak mine overnight in salt water, then roast with peanut oil and grey salt..My kids and I love them this way..
kadesma

I usually wash them and let them dry then toss with a little oil and salt them before putting them in the oven to roast.

For those who like their seeds to be spicy!

Fiery Pumpkin Seeds

INGREDIENTS:

• 2 cups raw pumpkin seeds
  • 1/4 cup butter, melted
  • 1/2 tsp. Tabasco sauce
  • 1 tsp. cayenne pepper
  • 1/2 tsp. cumin
  • 1 Tbsp. chili powder
PREPARATION:

Place pumpkin seeds on ungreased cookie sheet. Mix together butter and Tabasco sauce and drizzle over the seeds.

Combine spices and sprinkle over the coated seeds. Toss well to coat.

Bake at 300 degrees 35-45 minutes until golden brown and crisp, stirring seeds once halfway through baking.

Store in airtight container.

How delightfully timely! I was just trying to decide whether to do them or not! I will! And I will soak them in salt water first!

Thank you very much!

everyone wonders the purpose of salt water, I am wondering the purpose of the oil....I have never oiled mine...I soak em then while raosting I just sprinkle on the spices I want, sticks quite well.....and tastes well too!

Katie Couric was talking about roasted pumpkin seeds on the Today Show this morning. She said she washed them, then added olive oil and salt and roasted them.

I did a little this morning. I had a pumpkin that was "going" on me, as the stem had a little rotten spot on it, so I decided to get the seeds out and roast them before it was to late.

I rinsed them, then soaked in salt water for several hours yesterday. I set them up to dry overnight. This morning, I tossed them with a little vegetable oil and salt. I roasted them in a 350°F oven for about 15 - 18 minutes. Boy, they were tasty!

I see that a couple of you all season pumpkin seeds with some southwest seasonings. I had an idea at work. Does anyone have a recipe for Honey-Roasted Peanuts? If so, do you think it would work to swap out the peanuts with pumkin seeds?

yum yum, I started nosing around on the net, looking for a honey roasted nut recipe, but could not find any to my liking that resulted in a thicker coating. So I used a candied but recipe on some punkin seeds this evening- they are pourin' out of my ears after carving 4 punkins, so I had a few to waste if it flopped. They turned out awesome!!!

1 1/2 cups pumpkin seeds
2T butter
1/2 cup sugar (I am gonna try brown tomorrow)
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp vanilla

Toast pumpkin seeds briefly to rid of excess moisture. Add butter, cook 1 or 2 minutes, may get tough if any longer. Add remaining ingredients and cook on high heat until soft ball stage. Spread on greased foil or waxed paper, cool, and separate. I dashed a little salt on too. mm mmm mmmmm! Smells wonderful too!

>candied NUT recipe< ehm ehm (yawn)
shannon in KS said:
yum yum, I started nosing around on the net, looking for a honey roasted nut recipe, but could not find any to my liking that resulted in a thicker coating. So I used a candied but recipe on some punkin seeds this evening- they are pourin' out of my ears after carving 4 punkins, so I had a few to waste if it flopped. They turned out awesome!!!

1 1/2 cups pumpkin seeds
2T butter
1/2 cup sugar (I am gonna try brown tomorrow)
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp vanilla

Toast pumpkin seeds briefly to rid of excess moisture. Add butter, cook 1 or 2 minutes, may get tough if any longer. Add remaining ingredients and cook on high heat until soft ball stage. Spread on greased foil or waxed paper, cool, and separate. I dashed a little salt on too. mm mmm mmmmm! Smells wonderful too!

Shannon, that looks really good! Too bad I don't have a candy thermometer or experience whit judging the stages without one or I'd make those. Right now my pumpkin seeds are in the oven with butter, salt, cayenne-garlic sauce, & a little garlic powder. I've never toasted pumpkin seeds before so this is a new experience for me. They smell really good & I can't wait to try them!

Back
Top Bottom