walnuts?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

silentmeow

Senior Cook
Drying Walnuts?

Help needed here...just picked up a lot of english walnuts from our tree and decided to try and dry them for use later. Most of the hulls or green skins are off. Do I just let them air dry outside for a bit or what? I live in the country so we have lots and lots of night creatures, my cats keep the small 4-foots away but one never knows, drying them outside sound counter-productive! I'd like to use them in a fudge or something. This is my first time with my own nuts so any informations would be greatly appreciated!

Last edited by a moderator:
You don't want to "dry" them!

Walnuts in the shell are good for 6-months upto 1-year as long as they shell has not dried out and split - stored in a ventilated container in a cool, dry, dark place.

Walnuts are very high in unsaturated fats - so they go rancid quicker than most other nuts. For long term storage - shell them and put the nut meats in an air-tight plastic freezer bag, something like ziplock freezer bags, squeeze out all the air you can and store them in your freezer for 6-months to a year. If you have a vacuum sealer, something like a FoodSaver, they will last even longer.

To "freshen" then up before using - you can roast them in a 150-F oven for 5-10 minutes.

Back
Top Bottom