"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Fruit & Nuts
Click Here to Login

Old 07-11-2019, 10:37 AM   #11
Master Chef

Washing doesn't kill bacteria

Plus, melons and other fruits and vegetables are contaminated by water, so they are contaminated from the inside, not the outside

But its still a good idea to rinse a melon

Old 07-11-2019, 09:28 PM   #12
Head Chef

I'm not looking to kill the bacteria, just wash it off. If soap and hot water gets rid of germs on dishes, though, why wouldn't it get rid of it on watermelons?

And I'm more worried about a melon being contaminated br being put in a cart and by other people, especially kids who are always sick, touching it.

------------------------
I cook because my pots and pans are the closest thing to a chemistry experiment that I have. So far I haven't blown up the kitchen!
rodentraiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 09:35 PM   #13
Chef Extraordinaire

I'm a little crazy about washing fruits and vegetables. If it has an edible skin (cherries, apple, nectarine), I wash it. If it will be cut into (melons, peppers, oranges), I wash it. I do not, however, wash bananas.

The beautiful thing about learning is that no one can take it away from you. ~ BB King
Cooking Goddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 10:05 PM   #14
Sous Chef

I'm actually more concerned about washing the skins of fruits and veggies to get the insecticides and other sprays off, as opposed to the bacteria.
Old 07-12-2019, 06:59 AM   #15
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodentraiser View Post
I'm not looking to kill the bacteria, just wash it off. If soap and hot water gets rid of germs on dishes, though, why wouldn't it get rid of it on watermelons?

And I'm more worried about a melon being contaminated br being put in a cart and by other people, especially kids who are always sick, touching it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pepperhead212 View Post
I'm actually more concerned about washing the skins of fruits and veggies to get the insecticides and other sprays off, as opposed to the bacteria.
+1 and +2

and plus 3. -do NOT touch your mouth/face while in the store(s). Wash hands! wash hands! wash hands!

bump fists rather than shake hands, and forget the kissy kissy all together. (I mean the social kind, which is done alot here in Quebec and Europe)
Old 07-12-2019, 05:19 PM   #16
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepperhead212 View Post
That, and dirt. Years ago, before someone said that all grocery stores should wash their melons before cutting, I remember finding bits of grit in the flesh. Yuck. Now, when I buy sections of pre-cut melons, I make sure everything looks grit free. Himself isn't a fan of watermelon, so I buy a whole one only when the tiny personal-size melons are on sale cheap.

The beautiful thing about learning is that no one can take it away from you. ~ BB King
Cooking Goddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2019, 05:33 PM   #17
Head Chef

I think the supermarket watermelons are tasteless compared to home raised ones, but they're OK in a pinch. I went out last night and bought two of them.

------------------------
I cook because my pots and pans are the closest thing to a chemistry experiment that I have. So far I haven't blown up the kitchen!
rodentraiser is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
water