"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Fruit & Nuts
Click Here to Login

Old 07-08-2019, 09:58 PM   #1
Head Chef

Washing watermelons

My back is bothering me more and more, so when I went to pick up a watermelon at the store last week, I put it in the kid seat of the cart so I wouldn't have to bend way over and heft it out of the basket part when I went to pay for it.

When I got home, it occurred to me how dirty those seats probably are, what with kids in diapers sitting in them and all. I also stick my purse there and the bottom of my purse has been everywhere on the ground, which is why it gets hung up on its own hook as soon as I come home and never gets put on a table or counter.

So I took a damp paper towel to wash off the watermelon and I was surprised at how dirty the paper towel got. So I washed it a little more thoroughly.

What I was concerned about was that in cutting into the watermelon, I'd notice that sometimes I'd have bits of rind that ended up on the inside. I thought it might be possible for the knife to carry bacteria and dirt into the watermelon as well. So Imma wash my watermelons from now on.

Does anyone else do this?

------------------------
I cook because my pots and pans are the closest thing to a chemistry experiment that I have. So far I haven't blown up the kitchen!
rodentraiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 10:02 PM   #2
Executive Chef

Can't say that I have, certainly food for thought. I doubt I'll stress myself over it though.

Old 07-08-2019, 11:10 PM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire

All fruits and vegetables that aren't generally peeled and/or cooked are likely to have pathogens on the surface. Most people have a strong enough immune system to fight it off. Washing can't remove all of it, especially if the surface is rough.

I don't worry about it much, either. The immune system needs something to work on to keep it strong I take medication that impacts my immune system and I've still never had food poisoning.
Old 07-08-2019, 11:17 PM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
I often wash other melons before cutting them. I remember an e-coli episode and the recommendation wash the peel before cutting, because the germs on the outside do get carried inside by the knife. I'll have to admit that I don't always do it and I don't think it has ever made me sick.
Old 07-09-2019, 06:06 AM   #5
Executive Chef

Don't forget to wash your bananas before you peel them.
Old 07-10-2019, 06:26 PM   #6
Certifiable Executive Chef

Site Administrator

I wash melons prior to cutting and if you've ever seen the back of a produce section at a store you would as well. The larger the piece of fruit the more likely it is to have something gross on the outside. Melons in particular are stored in big open bins and every sneeze, grimy hand prints and rodent that ever ran across the bin leaves a trace. Knives "drag' dirt into the flesh of the fruit.
Old 07-10-2019, 06:45 PM   #7
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet H View Post
I wash melons prior to cutting and if you've ever seen the back of a produce section at a store you would as well. The larger the piece of fruit the more likely it is to have something gross on the outside. Melons in particular are stored in big open bins and every sneeze, grimy hand prints and rodent that ever ran across the bin leaves a trace. Knives "drag' dirt into the flesh of the fruit.
Agreed. Cantaloupes hold a lot of stuff in the nooks and crannies, so I'm extra careful to wash and scrub them prior to cutting. Only takes a minute or so.
Old 07-10-2019, 08:22 PM   #8
Head Chef

OK, so now I don't feel completely crazy washing them from now on. Thanks!

------------------------
I cook because my pots and pans are the closest thing to a chemistry experiment that I have. So far I haven't blown up the kitchen!
rodentraiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 11:09 PM   #9
Sous Chef

Cantaloupes have often been recalled due to listeria, and sometimes other pathogens, due to that porous netting of theirs. And often it has been organically grown ones (as well as other things, for that matter), due to some compost that wasn't brought up to a high enough heat to kill them. I remember a time many years ago (probably after they found one had it, they were checking all of them!), there were all sorts of things on tv (yes this was that long ago - before the internet, for the most part) about sterilizing things, using a dilute solution of chlorine bleach, or some hydrogen peroxide. I never got phobic about things that much!
Old 07-11-2019, 10:01 AM   #10
Senior Cook

I've never washed melons. I will now, as my OCD will force me to after this thread.

Vinylhanger is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
water