Watermelon should be eaten alone

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

guppyman

Assistant Cook
Hi,

I have heard that water melon should be eaten alone.

This is because water melon digest at a rate faster than other food. Mixing water melon with other food will affect the digestion.

Do you think this is true?

Thanks

No. Watermelon is 92 percent water - that's why it's digested quickly. There's not much there besides water. But there's no reason why eating it with something else should affect the digestion in a way that really matters.

What exactly did you hear will happen regarding digestion?

I eat watermelon alone because I like to spit the seeds out and belch a lot. I don't know what that does for my digestion but it makes me happy!

i've found it's fun to eat watermelon with a lot of other people.

wait.

if you mean digestion, that makes me a cannibal.

i mean the opposite. or something like that. (eating people is also bad for the digestion.)

There are always theorys on not combining this food item/group with this item/group, and just as often as they are mentioned, they are either disproved or are unable to be proven as factual. Do what works for you best. Trial and error.

Personally I like to eat fatty foods with an acidic drink cos I figure one might counter out the other. Proof? Not a skerrick - not that I have ever tried to find out. Does it seem to work for my system? Yup but in comparison to other drinks.

Actually, it seems like a good thing to eat before you eat a fattier meal-- you fill up on water and eat less. Does it seem that way to anybody else?

my f-i-law found that he really had to control the amount of watermelon he ate because it affected his kidneys due to water retention......even spent an overnight in the hospital because he ate too much........can you believe the admitting chart diagnosis: attacked by a watermelon?

Happens a lot in Perth's renal wards in summer!! You so often hear the doctors walking around saying "no more watermelon"! I got admitted once on too many kiwi-berries (mini kiwifruits about the size of a small grape) - too much potassium! LOL

I've heard lots of things, but not this.

I do know that there a quite a few foods that take more calories to burn up in your body than you consume by eating them. Gotta love that ~ and no! ~ chocolate is not on the list. :( But watermelon is.

Some vegetables that are considered to be negative calorie foods are:
Asparagus
Beets
Broccoli
Cabbage
Carrots
Cauliflower
Celery
Chili peppers
Cucumbers
Endives
Garlic
Leeks
Lettuce
Onions
Peppers
Radishes
Spinach
Turnips
Zucchini

Some fruits that are considered to be negative calorie foods are:
Apples
Blackberries
Blueberries
Cranberries
Guava
Grapefruit
Honey dew melons
Lemons
Limes
Mangoes
Oranges
Peaches
Pineapple
Plums
Raspberries
Tangerines
Tomatoes
Watermelon

Maybe that's why someone suggested eating it alone?

:heart:
Z

I've heard lots of things, but not this.

I do know that there a quite a few foods that take more calories to burn up in your body than you consume by eating them. Gotta love that ~ and no! ~ chocolate is not on the list. :( But watermelon is.
Maybe that's why someone suggested eating it alone?

:heart:
Z

If that were the reason, I would think the recommendation would apply to all the fruits and veggies you mentioned. The idea that one should eat watermelon alone makes no sense to me at all.

Felt nice to know interesting facts about Water-melon.

And I agree with you Karenlyn, things like watermelon need to consumed after food.

Felt nice to know interesting facts about Water-melon.

And I agree with you Karenlyn, things like watermelon need to consumed after food.

She actually suggested eating it *before* a fatty meal, to fill up on the water and so eat less of the fatty food. I think it would work - it's been shows that eating soup before a meal causes people to eat less during the meal. Same principle.

We have a friend here in Mexico who is a very bright guy (he is a paramedic and drives an ambulance) who was at our house for lunch one day, and we offered watermelon. "No, no, no," he cried. "I drank too much beer last night and it will kill me to eat watermelon!" He genuinely and heartily believes that eating watermelon following drinking alot of beer will be fatal. I have not heard this from other Mexican friends, and certainly folks in the US would suffer massive fatalities following 4th of July if it were true. Incidentally, the watermelon we buy here is not really that good. We still believe that the best watermelon we have ever eaten comes from Hermiston, Oregon.

Tomatoes, members of the night shade family I believe, were considered dangerous, as I recall, when introduced into Europe.

That is the reason I rarely eat more than three or four at a sitting. Urp.

Good grief. have heard so many old wives' tales over the years about foods.

Watermelon is a fine food. I have shunned it for a while just because it did not appeal to me. Why? I have no idea.

But now that I am not drinkiing beer, I might just give it a whirl. LOL.

Back
Top Bottom